Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Single Mums

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

RickHolt
Traffic Copper



Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:22 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Single Mums Reply with quote

There's a program on channel 4 now, looks like it's worth watching. I think they're trying to show how badly off the young single mums are, doing a terrible job of it though.

I can't believe how much they get. If you watch it, look at what they're wearing, they smoke, eat brand name food and ignore the kids. Then complain about not having money.

They're just opening xmas presents now. It's unbelievable.

I'm trying my best to get money together for a house now, I want kids but it's in the distant future. I need to learn about benefits Sad

Rick.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:27 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life sucks unless you know how to play the system.
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:28 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mate is a single mum and has more money than i do, and i dont have kids. You get a free house if you have them and your single.

Her house is fantastic looking and she gets cloths everyweek and great shopping, just not fair. Will have to pop out a few to get that. Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:12 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You get a free house if you have them and your single.

Thats not intirely true one bit. I know sevral young mums who couldnt get a house/flat.
Im a single mother, 22 and live with parents - I have no intention of trying to get free accomadation. Only time ill move out will be with my partner.
Young mums get slated, but you dont relise that there are plenty of good mums.
I work part time, I take home a good enough (not the best) wage. This is for items for Josh, my bills and what ever im left with is for afterwork drinks, he gose to nursury 2 and a half days a week.
I try to be a good mum.
I dont scrounge off the gorvernment never have never will but I get what im intitled too.

But yes, some of these youngsters do go out to get preggers and get tons and tons of free stuff.
But just remember there are some people like me - Good ones Smile Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:17 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise sorry if i offended there, i was thinking of the young mums on the dole etc baby making machines etc.

some of them arnt even single and get houses from housing benifit and claim to be single.

good going girl if you are out there earning and doing it right, i wont have kids until i am ready not simply to get a house as i know some would.

Your one of few Louise Thumbs Up
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RickHolt
Traffic Copper



Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:19 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Louise, didn't mean to tar you all with the same brush. I know it's not every young single mum that's like that. It's the ones that have a child because it's their rights, then use every excuse available to claim what they can. I'd hate to see perfectly good mums out on the streets when they're actually trying to do well. But the girls like on TV now that want everything for nothing deserve to get very little.

I found it funny the way they complained about the dads not paying them anything and then say they never want the dads to see the kids. I'm sure we'd all love to have someone miles away, that you never see or hear, donating loads of money to help out with bills etc for nothing.

I hope the council houses and flats that they get are normally of a low standard with no extras. At least I'd be saving up for something then.

Rick
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:21 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think they get all this 'stuff' legitimately then your living in a dream world.

The clothes will be counterfit or have fallen off the back of a lorry, as will most if not all of the present's. This assume's they didnt resort to stealing them themselves.

They fall into the trap, as do most of the people reading this, that brandname's are better, concerning food, clothing, etc. They just obtain it when they cant necessarily afford it or through other means.
____________________
Pictorgraphicalfantastical
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:34 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ok guys, None offended me at all but just wanted to say Im a good one Wink

In respect to the money from the dads. Yup I do claim that, takes two to tango and so they should help.
We came to an agreement to pay 'X' ammount each month as I didnt want to go through the CSA. This never happened so I got them involved.
It just pisses me off that I try my hardest to get him to see Josh, and he never.
Some men are right bastards! hehe.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RickHolt
Traffic Copper



Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:36 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh I'm sat here with my ASDAs own tortilla chips and dip. 20% of the price of the brand names, exactly the same thing. I know what you mean Thumbs Up

When you work for the money, you're more reluctant to spend it. They said on the program that they had £20 a week left after food, bills etc. I'd say that's not too bad for someone that doesn't work at all. I don't know if they classed cigs under the bills/food list.

I don't think I spend much more than that in a normal week right now.

Rick.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:39 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do single mums really get alot a week? like how much? because i remeber i could not go out on the lash/pay rent/.food.bills etc and yet my mate could and looks really well. Never had the bnerve to ask how much she got but i assum alot. New sofa from land of leather and a brand new dining table was a bit sus. Unless there is something i dont know:think:
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Spiral
Traffic Copper



Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:35 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single mums rarely get a break we hear to much in the press of the vicky pollard type.

Most single mums i know seem to do a pretty good job.
____________________
****NORTHERN IRELAND NEWSFLASH!!**** According to a recent survey, 94% of loyalists said the best sex they ever had was in the shower; the other 6% haven't been to jail yet.***
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:02 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonfly wrote:
Do single mums really get alot a week? like how much? because i remeber i could not go out on the lash/pay rent/.food.bills etc and yet my mate could and looks really well. Never had the bnerve to ask how much she got but i assum alot. New sofa from land of leather and a brand new dining table was a bit sus. Unless there is something i dont know:think:


Well as someone who chose to be a single mum on the dole for 5 years when her partner left her 6 months into the pregnancy I can tell you thet they certainly didn't use to, things may have changed now though.

Yeah, I got a "free" house. It was a council house in a shit area that was falling down when I lived there (the whole estate has since been flattened) but at the same time it was mine, so I spent time on trying to make it a decent place for me and my son to live and I got a fuckin big dog after the 3rd attempted break-in. I got a "grant" when I moved in to furnish and decorate it, it was £100. Thank god for charity shops huh?

I got enough money off the government to live on, just about. I know people who were in the same boat as me who couldn't live on what they got and landed up in all sorts of trouble, I also know others who managed very well and were even able to save a bit, and have stuff like holidays.

Me, I just used to get the free bus or walk to our local shopping centre (with the baby in his pram) and sit there with my library book when I had no money left to feed the meter and my house was too cold to sit in. I got used to the days the local shops did their reducing so I could try to feed my son good, nutritious food at a reasonable price. Sod brand names, but once he was on solids he always had his meat and two veg! I got used to buying my clothes from charity shops so I could afford to buy new stuff for my son, and I also got into a "chain" of friends where good clothes could be passed along to our kids of varying sizes. I got used to relying on mates to pay if I wanted a night out, and generally repaid them with a good meal, a party or some other favour of a similar vein. I have never smoked so at least that wasn't a problem!

Once my son was at school I went out job-hunting, and I got my arse into gear and got our lives into some kind of order. By the time he started high school I had bought my first house (by myself) and was seeing (although not living with) my current partner.

So programmes like that, and comments like Dragonflys, really piss me off. Yeah sure there are single mums out there who are milking the system for all they are worth but that doesn't mean all single mums are dole spongers who continue to push out the next generation of scroungers and shitheads. Most of us just got our heads down and got on with it to get ourselves out of a situation that was not necessarily what we wanted but that we had to deal with the best we could.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:13 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow babyyam that is tough you got it there, again i didnt mean to offend i dont know any single mothers like you or Louise but my eyes have opened now and i am even more pissed off and the fact people take the piss out of the dole while you are left to live like that. I know what its like to be starving and homeless but nothing compared tp what you had and having a kid in that situation. I admire you, you are a great mum and wish there where more who where more honest to the system and people like you got the help they deserved.
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:14 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a single parent must be a tough f*ckin' job. Respect to those that do it well.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:00 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, my sister is a single mum.
She has most of her rent paid - but she still has to contribute as much as she can.

She is "given" £200 a fortnight - so £100 a week. She does work, but due to it being school holidays currently isn't. She can only work 18 hours per week to ensure that her tax credits aren't reduced.

When she was working 21 hours per week (school hours) she received nothing. She was actually paying more for nursery care for her son than she was earning.


My sister knows the system and uses it to get as much as she can - and yet it's still tough. It only takes one administrative error at the Council to change a famaly's life. She was recently visited by the Council's bailiffs because she owed Council Tax backpay - they threatened to take everything she owned and yet she is not meant to pay council tax...
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jesus_Christ
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a few single mums, some who take full advantage of the system, which is fine, and others who simply take the piss. I saw part of the program last night and the one thing that really wound me up was the fact they could only have a sausage roll and a muffin for Xmas dinner, but every tmie I saw the girl she was always in branded clothes (OK they might be fake), drinking and covered in stupid amounts of makeup. Then complaining they've no money for the kids. Sorry, as I see it, kids come first. Sod the make up and booze. Cheap Tescos and Asda clothes are fine, feed your kids properly.
____________________
If you ate Stephen Hawking, would that count as one of your "five a day" portions?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:20 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably add that my sister has two children of her own and another whom she has taken legal responsibility for.

Her primary concern is that the children are fed properly and have what they need for school.


When I have spoken to her she pointed out that a lot of single Mums are very young and don't have the knowledge how to feed their children cheaply. Many children eat ready-meals and junk food because their mum doesn't know how to cook.


Her weekly budget works something like this:
£200 from Council for her rent (which is £250) so she contributes £50 towards rent.
£180 work tax, £90 of which is spent on nursary bills

That leaves £90 a week to feed three growing children and one adult.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:12 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:

When I have spoken to her she pointed out that a lot of single Mums are very young and don't have the knowledge how to feed their children cheaply. Many children eat ready-meals and junk food because their mum doesn't know how to cook.



Thumbs Up How very very true.

Ann are you sure about your sister's rent? £250 a week? Shocked That seems awful high........ especially as Housing Benefit is generally capped so if you claim it when private-sector renting you only get what it would cost to rent the size of council property you require - round here that means you get up to about £75 per week max which is our local council's price for renting a 3-bed house.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:25 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:

Ann are you sure about your sister's rent? £250 a week? Shocked That seems awful high........ especially as Housing Benefit is generally capped so if you claim it when private-sector renting you only get what it would cost to rent the size of council property you require - round here that means you get up to about £75 per week max which is our local council's price for renting a 3-bed house.



Edit!! Those figures are per fortnight!

Doh!

So £125 per week for the rent, which is why she has to contribute £50 to it.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jesus_Christ
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:30 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:

When I have spoken to her she pointed out that a lot of single Mums are very young and don't have the knowledge how to feed their children cheaply. Many children eat ready-meals and junk food because their mum doesn't know how to cook.


I can believe it!

I still think this sort of stuff should be taught in schools. Not this home economics crap. You can't live on scones and corn flake buns.

Teach people skill they can use. knowing about the second world war is all well and good until you starve!
____________________
If you ate Stephen Hawking, would that count as one of your "five a day" portions?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jonboy22
Crazy Courier



Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad BAH Mad

thought this might be one of those lonely heart club post,

"Lonely single milf looking for pent up sexually frustrated male to go at it like a jackhammer, must enjoy the kama sutra"......

sigh.......
____________________
current bike: GSX-R 750 K6 stolen, found the next day in a van in Durham, returned to me 3 months later costing me my NCB and my excess...
last bike: GSXx-R 600 K4 - written off, now converting to track bike Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jesus_Christ
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:34 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonboy22 wrote:
Mad BAH Mad

thought this might be one of those lonely heart club post,

"Lonely single milf looking for pent up sexually frustrated male to go at it like a jackhammer, must enjoy the kama sutra"......

sigh.......


Just go to McD's on a Saturday morning. There's enough about! Just wear Burberry and lots of Argos jewelry!
____________________
If you ate Stephen Hawking, would that count as one of your "five a day" portions?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jonboy22
Crazy Courier



Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only go for the up market ones,

So B'King, velour trackies, Addidas Visor and the lastest range of bling from Elizabeth Duke........don't you know what what..
____________________
current bike: GSX-R 750 K6 stolen, found the next day in a van in Durham, returned to me 3 months later costing me my NCB and my excess...
last bike: GSXx-R 600 K4 - written off, now converting to track bike Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:43 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking also as a single mum, who can fully identify with Babyyam's post, I would also like to say this: it takes two to make a baby, and yet we never hear the condemnation of all the absent single fathers who never pay a penny towards the upkeep of their children (I include my daughter's father in that category).

I had no money from him and the CSA would not chase him. I have worked hard for everything I have and am now in a good financial position but this was not always the case.

As for the comment about teaching cookery etc in schools, I had this exact conversation with a school teacher friend of mine the other day. However, I would not only include cookery, but a knowledge of how to operate your personal finances (paying bills, reconciling your bank account etc) and some basic information about childcare.
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 0.46 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 138.67 Kb