Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


To other mums....of 5-10 year olds....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

msgander
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 31 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:33 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: To other mums....of 5-10 year olds.... Reply with quote

A question, to ensure I am not being unfair in my judgement.... Neutral

At what age did you let your child go out on their own during the day or evening?

Whilst a kid has got to go out at some stage and get streetwise, I do feel 6/7 is a bit young especially if they have no road sense! - am I being too careful, is it better to let them go deal with it (in my young days we didnt have so much publicity about the rapists and murderers, no doubt they were still there!), but you hear so many things it makes you worry TOO much about them.

What line did you/are you taking on it?
____________________
Always believe that your guardian angel flies a bit faster than you...............
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:52 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter is 6 (1/2), and there is no way I'd let her out on her own. And to be honest she wouldn't want to go anywhere on her own either.

It's all down to the parents and how you want to bring your child up.

Personally I dont have a particular age in mind, I'll just decide as and when it arises.

When I was a nipper, I was never out on my own until at least 9 or 10 (that was back in 1985). Thumbs Up
____________________
ZXR750R (M2) - For the road.
CBR1000 RR4 - For the track.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4332
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son is 2 1/2 and im allready thinking about this.
No way would I let him out at 6/7 years of age.
I would quiet happlily take him to a mates, pick him up. But no to going on his own.
I remember I was 13 before I could go out on my own, and 15 to be allowed back in by 10.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LewisD
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:20 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't let a kid of mine go out until they are 10/11.. just when they are getting into gangs of other similar aged kids.

But i have an 8 year old niece, and she wanted to go up the shops the other day - call me overprotective - but i made sure she held my hand all the way to the shops.

Not in todays day and age of paedos.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:45 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son is 10 1/2 and it's only now that we've allowed him to out himself. He is quite naive though which didn't help.
His sister ( 6 next week ) will no doubt be wanting out with her friends when she's 8/9, she's got an old head on very young shoulders.
I must also that I live in a small quite rural place.
____________________
the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

R1stu
Shrek!



Joined: 12 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter is 6 and she rides her bike to her mates in the next rd and plays outside around her mums.

However the place where she lives your likly to see a car travel there as you are seing tank tops back in fashion!
____________________
Carbon closet tart! https://www.bikepics.com/members/r6stuk/02r6/
Stolen bike. 2000 R1: https://www.bikepics.com/members/r6stuk/00r1/
Current bike 1991 Honda ST1100 Pan European, 1986 Honda cb350sg (Finished)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:01 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not in todays day and age of paedos


Highly Agree with that one. You can never be too carefull.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcg868
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:06 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not a parent or anything, but my little sister (she's 10) has only just started to be allowed out on her own.

I cant wait till she's 14/15 when she gets her first bf, im gonna grill the bf to fuck Twisted Evil
____________________
JACK, MISS YOU LOADS YOU LEGEND.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mary Jane
Traffic Copper



Joined: 11 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:33 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest son is 7, and it wasn't until he was 6&1/2 that I would feel comfortable letting him play with his friends out in the big grassy area next to our apartments without an adult present. He's good enough at looking out for his younger brother (4) that I'll let him go out and play with his brother there too.

I don't feel comfortable letting him go outside our apartment area, accross any busy streets or even down the street on his own. I know he has some road sense. I taught him very well how to cross a street, even a busy one by using a crosswalk and making sure he sees the cars stopping before crossing, but unless he was with some older kids or an adult I wouldn't be comfortable letting him do it. There are just too many freaks and weirdos out there.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mr jamez
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:11 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah paedos weren't about in the good old days, wagon wheels were bigger as well.

Rolling Eyes

The facts > media hysteria
____________________
NSR 125F > BROS 400 > NC30 > BROS 400 > Trumpet S4 > '97 VFR 750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was 8 I had relatively free roam to do what I liked on a rather iffy council state in Cambridge.

There wasn't much around where we lived in Papua New Guinea, but I can remember going to the local shops a few times before I was eight - about a five minute walk.

mr jamez wrote:
Yeah paedos weren't about in the good old days, wagon wheels were bigger as well.

The facts > media hysteria

Indeed, even now, apparantly over 70% of child abusers are either family or known well to the family.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:47 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G
that would not happpen to be the Arbury estate would it Question

for the record my 7 year old is allowed to play outside on his wn (no road nearby) providing he stays in line of sight of the house

at the age of 7 I seem to remember trawling around building sites climbing on things I would have a heart attack if I saw my son doing now
____________________
https://domharnessphotography.webs.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid I don't remember a name as such - didn't live there for long.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, if it was the Arbury I wouldn't admit it either Laughing


I just happen to work in Cambridge just a few miles away from that estate(loads of real dodgy people)
____________________
https://domharnessphotography.webs.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian



Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:20 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Your child is less likely to be attacked now, than ever before. There are roughly only 5 child murders (from someone outside the family) so its highly unlikely anything will happen, G's aslo right 70-80% of abuse happens within the family,

Nothing like a bit of newspaper histeria to scare the shit out of you (thank you daily mail),

Luke
____________________
Flounced - Long overdue
Fuck you bitch I'm in the top 10 list I can do the what the fuck I want!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

queen of string
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son is 12 , he's only been allowed out with a friend since he was 10 and still not much on his own. I'm realistic about peados and the like but more worried about him being mugged by older kids or bullied.
____________________
"Eat food, not edible, food-like items. Mostly plants."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:00 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was allowed to walk down the road to my friend's house, or cycle to another street to my other friend's house. We were allowed to play in the fields at that age.

However, I grew up in a tiny little village where everyone knew everyone else and the most dangerous thing around was Farmer Cambridge and his shotgun (combined with a bottle of whisky which was normal he was never too lethal as he couldn't aim Laughing )
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

want a ZZR 1400
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 20 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:05 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are only allowed out on their own (in the light hours at first) when they go to senior school. I am protective and don't mind admitting it. However, when i was a kid we roamed around whenever and wherever we wanted. Traffic is probably more of an issue than them getting nabbed IYKWIM.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mary Jane
Traffic Copper



Joined: 11 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:38 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr jamez wrote:
Yeah paedos weren't about in the good old days, wagon wheels were bigger as well.

Rolling Eyes

The facts > media hysteria


yeah, I'm pretty sure there were Pedo's in my day as well. Only they didn't register as sex offenders, and my mom didn't get letters from my school alerting her that one was moving into our neighborhood. I have gotten a letter like that. We had a "stranger danger" conversation as soon as we got the letter, and we've had little reminder discussions every few months since.

He'll probably be old enough to walk to a friend's house within the year, but for now my son is ok just staying nearby. The fact that most of his friends live in the same apartment complex means he doesn't have to cross busy streets or walk down the road by himself in order to get there.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

When I was about 7~8 I would walk or cycle home from school (about 2 miles into the countryside). Quicker to walk than wait for the school bus. Used to walk / cycle rather further and at a younger age at weekends.

As to sex offender, think the main difference is media induced paranoia these days. Just because the school choosing to write about them now doesn't mean they didn't exist before.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 21 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

queen of string wrote:
My son is 12 , he's only been allowed out with a friend since he was 10 and still not much on his own. I'm realistic about peados and the like but more worried about him being mugged by older kids or bullied.


What age will you let him go further afield? I've always knocked around the streets, getting into the odd bit of bother (nothing serious, kids stuff). At 12/13 I was wandering all over the place. Hanging out in Chester and stuff. (Well at 12/13 my parents gave permission for me to do this - I was doing it anyway from around 8. Laughing ) Never came to any real harm.

You can't stop him being bullied etc when he's an adult. Or even in school for that matter. Better to let him see what's what now and then he'll know how to deal with things.

I know he's your only Child (you've done/doing a good job of raising him) but you can't wrap him in cotton wool forever (even if it is Chav central down the road from you). I know he's not been 12 for very long but maybe next summer he could venture out a little more?

Besides anyone touches Matt and I'll poke them in the f*ckin' eye. Very Happy

(I really hope you don't any of that the wrong way. Karma )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

plugger147
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:46 - 22 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little girls been allowed to play in the street (but not off it) since she was 6, however we live in quite a quiet cul de sac of about 20 houses and there are usually the other 7 under 10's who live here out playing too. I felt guilty keeping her in when all the other kids were out playing and we kept her in. She has had all the stranger talk's from us and her kickboxing instructor has regular talk's with the younger kid's in his classes about strangers and bullying and my misses volunteered at the school to help with the road safety program so she's had that drummed into her too.

I had much more freedom when I was a kid and I think if you keep them in for to long then they are going to find it a lot more difficult to adjust to different situations if they don't go out and have petty squabbles, argue and fight then have a game of tag before tea. Laughing I do get a bit pissed off though when some of the kids are still out gone 10 o'clock when mine's fed, bathed and asleep in bed, give them as much freedom as you can as long as they know your rule's and why you set them.
____________________
Tristan the wrote: just whipped off my trousers to find a big bruise on my arse, caused by matt rear ending me...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mazz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:55 - 22 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was allowed around locally from about 7 then when I turned 8 I was allowed to cross the BIG road Laughing

My parents have always given me a pretty free reign on where I went it taught me to be streetwise whereas my older brother because he was the eldest didn't get to do a lot of things until he was at an older age and I'd say he is a wimp haha.

In all seriousness though the age other people let their kids wander at should not affect when you let your kids out no-one knows your area or your kids as well as you do so therefore what might be ok for another persons child elsewhere may not be ok for your kid depending on the area and the childs maturity. One eight year old could be able to safely go out on their own whereas another one living in the same place may not have as good an awareness of life and be unsafe being alone.

You also have to consider the fact if you let your child out alone would you do nothing but worry all the time? That is not good for your health and shows that you don't feel that your child is streetwise enough to be out alone in which case you are probablly right and they are not ready. Let your child go out alone when you think they are ready and when you feel comfortable about it and remember you can set boundaries on how far they can go to when out alone.

Mazz x
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:14 - 22 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eldest son wasnt allowed out on his own (even though I lived in a very quiet village on a street that wasn't a through road) until he was about 8 1/2. My youngest on the other hand is a proper little street kid! Laughing
He was allowed out from about the age of 5-6 as he is a hell of a lot more streetwise than his older brother.

Even now, Squirt's got a reputation, he'll hold his own out there, and the only thing I have to worry about is what injury he's coming home with next. (The latests ones are a broken toe from falling from a tree, and a nasty slice on his leg from his skateboard) Whereas DJ is still being picked on, and actually chooses not to go out.

There is no right or wrong as to what age you feel is right for your child.
Although I will warn you, look what happened to one case study:
flip wrote:
I've always knocked around the streets, getting into the odd bit of bother (nothing serious, kids stuff). At 12/13 I was wandering all over the place. Hanging out in Chester and stuff. (Well at 12/13 my parents gave permission for me to do this - I was doing it anyway from around 8. )


Laughing Wink Thinking
____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andrea
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 22 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son is 5 1/2 and theres no way i'm letting him out on his own now as he isnt streetwise at all and i'd worry way too much. I dont know when it will be, but not until he's atleast 9 or 10 and then only where i can keep my eye on him.

My dad was really strict with me, and i think i was 13/14 before i could even catch a bus into town. I wasnt best pleased at the time, but i now have the utmost respect for him as he kept me safe Karma Didnt do me any harm
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 3.58 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.69 Kb