Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


KD on a GPZ500

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Simple
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: KD on a GPZ500 Reply with quote

I've been trying for a while now, I'm about an inch off, I can't lean any further and my peg is on the floor.. I've concluded I can't do it on the bike.

Just wondered if anyone else has managed to Knee down on a gpz500s

**please note I dont want any ''you should be able to do it, anyone can do it on any bike, I can do it on a DR400 etc...**

Pure fact only please

Thanks
Simple
____________________
Insta - FemFeral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

0ddball
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. When i tried hanging off that far it put my body into a bad position and felt unnatural, like hanging off an offroader or something. I guess it takes a certain size and shape person to be able to do it comfortably.

I've seen it done in pics but it looked totally wrong. Sort of like they were hanging off excessively just for the sake of it, not to actually corner faster.

Are you trying in leathers with sliders?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:43 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpannerMonkey wrote:


Are you trying in leathers with sliders?


Yep.. big hefty motrax sliders too...



as for the boring rating... the post is exactly what it says in the title... so fek you! Rolling Eyes
____________________
Insta - FemFeral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Re: KD on a GPZ500 Reply with quote

As you're fairly short, it may be possibly that you can't on this bike with this setup.

How flexible are you?
Is your knee pointing as straight out as possible (for some people this means hanging off less, in some cases.)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 5ft 4/5". I'm hanging off to the point that my left foot is just reaching the foot peg.
My leg is striaght out as I'm fairly flexible

I'll just stick to peg down as a gauge of lean *shrugs*
____________________
Insta - FemFeral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DaveH
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:08 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like if its peg is touching down, then unless you get shorter pegs to lean the bike further, you need to change your body position, yesno?.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:11 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the pegs on my geeperz used to touch down just at the point when the chicken strips were just about to go. As such they offer a good idea that you haven't got much rubber left, so I would just stick with the pegs.

The snag with using knees to guage lean angle is it's not constant. The pegs are always at such and such and angle to the tyres and always will be. Your knee angle though is dependant on where your bum is on the seat, how far forward or back your knee is stuck out, your mood, even so far as the time of day as you are shorter in the evenings Laughing

Anyway, you I'm sure you get my drift. Still don't give up on getting it down though, just view it as a bit of fun not with the aim of it being an aid in your riding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:17 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The angle the peg goes down can also change due to a few variables as well:
How far or not your body weight is off the bike, the speed of the corner, road surface undulations, etc.

Which brings me to another point - personally I'd much prefer to have my knee down than peg if possible - my knee is much less likely to get caught in bumps or undulations and if I need to, I can try and push that bit more. Peg down and it means you are pretty much riding right on the limit as far as that bike setup goes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your short its hard as you have to either hang off more or go faster to lean farther ,

I of course can KD on anybike , shortly followed by BD SD and HD , ie bike down shoulder down helmet down.... Confused
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
The angle the peg goes down can also change due to a few variables as well:
How far or not your body weight is off the bike, the speed of the corner, road surface undulations, etc.

Which brings me to another point - personally I'd much prefer to have my knee down than peg if possible - my knee is much less likely to get caught in bumps or undulations and if I need to, I can try and push that bit more. Peg down and it means you are pretty much riding right on the limit as far as that bike setup goes.


True, and should have mentioned that I don't ever aim to get my peg down - to dangerous by half Exclamation My point was, if you take a certain bend at exactly the same speed, position etc each time the peg will touch down at exactly the same point. It's fixed to the frame at a certain height and won't ever change. I do see your point though about rider position also effecting it - center of gravity etc. But your knee is very much more dependant on you than the peg. Can you guarantee that it will be in the same place each time?

I'm sure you G as you race can get it into place each time with a lot more accuracy than the rest of us, I certainly couldn't, but then a race is a much faster and more furious environment than the road (should) be, so is using your knee as a gauge really a good idea or even necessary on the road in the first place?

Anyway, don't they use Geeperz in the mini twins? Have you any pics of ones with their riders with their knee down? It might help Simple work out what she needs to do to get hers down if she still wants to as I'm sure KD is still fun and that's what biking is about after all Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:34 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't use 'em in minitwins and if they did I expect them to have some pretty serious rearsets.

Your peg will go down at the same time on the same bend at the same speed if your body is in the same position - same as knee down then Wink.
For instance to get a half decent speed around corners on my BMW I have to hang off - otherwise the engine goes down very quickly if I'm sitting in line with the bike.

It's very rarely I try and get my knee down on the road.
However I often stick it out. If it does goes down then I know I'm going pretty fast and don't want to up the pace anymore.

On the road you usually can still lean a bike after you have your knee down (short arses excluded Smile ). Can't do that at all with peg down really.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dark
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple, my other half has the exact same problem on her FZR

Although she thinks shes hanging off a long way, in reality she could hang off further. Have you got any pics of you hanging off so we can check out your body positioning?
____________________
My Bikes in order:- Yamaha RXS100 / Suzuki X7 250 / Yamaha RD350LC / Kawasaki
KR1S 250 / Kawasaki ZXR750 H2 / Honda C50 / Kawasaki ZX7R P5 / Kawasaki ZX10R / Suzuki GSXR 400 / Honda CBR1100 Blackbird & Yamaha FZR 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:49 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark wrote:
in reality she could hang off further. Have you got any pics of you hanging off so we can check out your body positioning?



Thumbs Up

Exactly what I was going to say.

I thought I was hanging off my bike pretty well during the morning sessions at Cadwell, my pegs had been touching the floor and I couldn't understand why my knee was nowhere near... until I saw the photos.

Unless I really climb off the bike I don't think my knee will ever be touching tarmac.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Apr 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:58 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never rode a GPZ but I used to have a GS500 and they're quite similar bikes... the pegs would go down on that easily and I never had my knee anywhere near the floor. I don't think the ground clearance is especially good on a 500.

Another possibility is (not being funny, dont take it the wrong way) are you sure that the pegs are going down and not your feet? do you ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs?
____________________
"he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"- Dr. Johnson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the same thing, I think you could probably hang off further. When I was on my XJ600 I was touching pegs down whilst hanging off as far as I thought I could.

https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/images/XJ/Full/Toe-down.jpg

To me, that felt like I was hanging off crazily, and I couldn't understand why I couldn't get my knee down. If you notice my entire arse is off the seat, but the body position is still all wrong as far as KD goes.

When in fact, if you really want to get your knee down and hang off like a nutter then it's something along the lines of this:

https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/images/Lydden/Full/NOV_0120.JPG

It's not the perfect body position, but you may have to adopt something similar if you really want to scrape your knee on tarmac on a certain bike with a certain body build.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:18 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

trust me I cant hang off any further, I'm hanging off like a monkey with no arse cheek on seat.. really feels like I'm going to fall off.

A friend has offered me her 400 to try on.. but I'm not keen on the idea incase I stack it.

I'll endevour to get some pictures.

yes it's my peg.. half the hero blob is ground down, even managed to touch my centre stand down last week Confused

The pegs seem to touch down far too easily, hence my keenness to go for the knee down as a better gauge.

I also realize I'm risking being levered off the bike.


Thanks for the help boys and girls


G - btw they race/'d GPZ's in their own little series in america Laughing
before the days of SV's though
____________________
Insta - FemFeral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Slickfish
Crazy Courier



Joined: 24 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done!!!
But you do have to hang of alot!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dark
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:29 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats your foot position like on the inside peg?

For instance rolling your foot sideways so that the ball of your foot is on the end of the peg allows a bigger reach for your knee and may help
____________________
My Bikes in order:- Yamaha RXS100 / Suzuki X7 250 / Yamaha RD350LC / Kawasaki
KR1S 250 / Kawasaki ZXR750 H2 / Honda C50 / Kawasaki ZX7R P5 / Kawasaki ZX10R / Suzuki GSXR 400 / Honda CBR1100 Blackbird & Yamaha FZR 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

0ddball
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:23 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/images/XJ/Full/Toe-down.jpg

Yep, thats exactly what i used to do, body too upright, arms in an awkward position and outside leg sticking out. Having short legs and a long upper body i just couldn't get my body in the right position. It makes a big difference on the zxr as the riding position means you're almost in the right position anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:43 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

im no expert but maybe you are leaning it hard enough, hanging off enough, but not sticking that knee out enough

i think they say get it to point as far out as you can

other more informed opinions on doing this might help

you were so disapproving of coghead doing kneedowns on public roads but i realise now that you were just jealous Smile
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:53 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't reckon it can be done on a GPZ500.

I got a couple of mates to hold onto mine and lean it over 'till the belly pan touched down while I sat on it. No way I could get my knee anywhere near the road so point proven, I don't try. Still hang my arse off it though. If you aren't resting your forearm on the tank, you can hang off more.

Incidentally, my belly pan kisses the road long before my hero-blobs. Maybe just because I'm a lardy bastard.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=31759
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=31758
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stink, have u got your knee down on other bikes ? cos if not it just might be your technique

wd be easier for you than for her as she has little legs
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:00 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I don't reckon it can be done on a GPZ500.

Maybe not by Simple, but if I can get my knee down on me beemer, sure it's possible on a GPZ:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=37964
Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:04 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it can't be done when I am static, hanging so far off the right side of the bike that my left arm is straight, it can't be done when I'm moving.

I have very long shins which doesn't help matters, my knees are above the 'cutout' in the tank when I sit on my GPZ

Never ridden a 'full on' sports bike though. Probably could have done it on my powervalve in standard trim but it had stupidly high rearsets on it, my shins were almost paralell with the ground.

Plus, I'm not really all that bothered if I can get my knee down or not these days. I've ridden my MZ round the outside of someone on a CBR6 while he had had knee down which has kind of made me think "meh". The two fastest road riders I know don't have knee sliders on their leathers.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be more a case of flexibility, anyway I said /I/ could do it Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.3 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 133.27 Kb