|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Simple |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Simple World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 0ddball |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 0ddball World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Simple |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Simple World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Simple |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Simple World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DaveH |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DaveH World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Feb 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| extreme3d |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 extreme3d World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Dec 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:11 - 08 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I remember the pegs on my geeperz used to touch down just at the point when the chicken strips were just about to go. As such they offer a good idea that you haven't got much rubber left, so I would just stick with the pegs.
The snag with using knees to guage lean angle is it's not constant. The pegs are always at such and such and angle to the tyres and always will be. Your knee angle though is dependant on where your bum is on the seat, how far forward or back your knee is stuck out, your mood, even so far as the time of day as you are shorter in the evenings
Anyway, you I'm sure you get my drift. Still don't give up on getting it down though, just view it as a bit of fun not with the aim of it being an aid in your riding. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:23 - 08 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
if your short its hard as you have to either hang off more or go faster to lean farther ,
I of course can KD on anybike , shortly followed by BD SD and HD , ie bike down shoulder down helmet down....  ____________________ Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| extreme3d |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 extreme3d World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Dec 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:28 - 08 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
| G wrote: | The angle the peg goes down can also change due to a few variables as well:
How far or not your body weight is off the bike, the speed of the corner, road surface undulations, etc.
Which brings me to another point - personally I'd much prefer to have my knee down than peg if possible - my knee is much less likely to get caught in bumps or undulations and if I need to, I can try and push that bit more. Peg down and it means you are pretty much riding right on the limit as far as that bike setup goes. |
True, and should have mentioned that I don't ever aim to get my peg down - to dangerous by half My point was, if you take a certain bend at exactly the same speed, position etc each time the peg will touch down at exactly the same point. It's fixed to the frame at a certain height and won't ever change. I do see your point though about rider position also effecting it - center of gravity etc. But your knee is very much more dependant on you than the peg. Can you guarantee that it will be in the same place each time?
I'm sure you G as you race can get it into place each time with a lot more accuracy than the rest of us, I certainly couldn't, but then a race is a much faster and more furious environment than the road (should) be, so is using your knee as a gauge really a good idea or even necessary on the road in the first place?
Anyway, don't they use Geeperz in the mini twins? Have you any pics of ones with their riders with their knee down? It might help Simple work out what she needs to do to get hers down if she still wants to as I'm sure KD is still fun and that's what biking is about after all  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:34 - 08 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
They don't use 'em in minitwins and if they did I expect them to have some pretty serious rearsets.
Your peg will go down at the same time on the same bend at the same speed if your body is in the same position - same as knee down then .
For instance to get a half decent speed around corners on my BMW I have to hang off - otherwise the engine goes down very quickly if I'm sitting in line with the bike.
It's very rarely I try and get my knee down on the road.
However I often stick it out. If it does goes down then I know I'm going pretty fast and don't want to up the pace anymore.
On the road you usually can still lean a bike after you have your knee down (short arses excluded ). Can't do that at all with peg down really. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dark |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dark World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Annabella |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Annabella Like a person, only smaller

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Keen |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Keen World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Apr 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:11 - 08 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I suspect the same thing, I think you could probably hang off further. When I was on my XJ600 I was touching pegs down whilst hanging off as far as I thought I could.
https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/images/XJ/Full/Toe-down.jpg
To me, that felt like I was hanging off crazily, and I couldn't understand why I couldn't get my knee down. If you notice my entire arse is off the seat, but the body position is still all wrong as far as KD goes.
When in fact, if you really want to get your knee down and hang off like a nutter then it's something along the lines of this:
https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/images/Lydden/Full/NOV_0120.JPG
It's not the perfect body position, but you may have to adopt something similar if you really want to scrape your knee on tarmac on a certain bike with a certain body build.
Gaz |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Simple |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Simple World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:18 - 08 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
trust me I cant hang off any further, I'm hanging off like a monkey with no arse cheek on seat.. really feels like I'm going to fall off.
A friend has offered me her 400 to try on.. but I'm not keen on the idea incase I stack it.
I'll endevour to get some pictures.
yes it's my peg.. half the hero blob is ground down, even managed to touch my centre stand down last week
The pegs seem to touch down far too easily, hence my keenness to go for the knee down as a better gauge.
I also realize I'm risking being levered off the bike.
Thanks for the help boys and girls
G - btw they race/'d GPZ's in their own little series in america
before the days of SV's though ____________________ Insta - FemFeral |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Slickfish |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Slickfish Crazy Courier

Joined: 24 May 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dark |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dark World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 0ddball |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 0ddball World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:23 - 08 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/images/XJ/Full/Toe-down.jpg
Yep, thats exactly what i used to do, body too upright, arms in an awkward position and outside leg sticking out. Having short legs and a long upper body i just couldn't get my body in the right position. It makes a big difference on the zxr as the riding position means you're almost in the right position anyway. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:43 - 08 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
im no expert but maybe you are leaning it hard enough, hanging off enough, but not sticking that knee out enough
i think they say get it to point as far out as you can
other more informed opinions on doing this might help
you were so disapproving of coghead doing kneedowns on public roads but i realise now that you were just jealous  ____________________ colin1 is officially faster than god |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:53 - 08 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I don't reckon it can be done on a GPZ500.
I got a couple of mates to hold onto mine and lean it over 'till the belly pan touched down while I sat on it. No way I could get my knee anywhere near the road so point proven, I don't try. Still hang my arse off it though. If you aren't resting your forearm on the tank, you can hang off more.
Incidentally, my belly pan kisses the road long before my hero-blobs. Maybe just because I'm a lardy bastard.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=31759
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=31758 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:07 - 08 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
May be more a case of flexibility, anyway I said /I/ could do it . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|