|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Delbwoy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Delbwoy Scooby Slapper
Joined: 04 Jun 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 03:02 - 02 Nov 2006 Post subject: Right To Not Be On Electoral Role |
 |
|
If I'm posting in the wrong section, please move the post.
I had a guy knock on my door this evening telling me that no one from my address has filled in the electoral role form. I told him that until they change the voting system in this country, no one here wants the right to vote. he told me it was law that you have to be on the register. So I replied with something along the lines of show me the law and I'll argue how useless it is. He came back with an up to you sort of attitude and walked off.
Bastard woke me up for nothing!
To the point............
We have numerous parties to vote for at election times, and if as an example, there are 5 parties to vote for, one gets 40% of the vote. another gets 30% of the vote and the rest of the votes get divided in smaller shares, the party with 40% wins the election.
Am I missing something here, or does that mean that a party that has 60% of the voting population against it wins the election?? Surely a second ballot is in order with the two highest elects fighting against each other.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm 38 years old and have always seen that as the way it is so have never voted. That and the fact that they are all full of shit.
Then I got to thinking, what is going to happen now? The guy will file a report and the council (or whoever) will take me to court. What can they do? Fine me for not wanting to vote? They can fine me all they want, I have no money left. Send me to jail? Been there, keep a low profile and it's a doddle, plus I could do with the rest.
It just seems odd to me. They call it an electoral role in a democratic society. Well I choose not to be on the electoral role. Why is that not my right? I may be naive, but I just don't get it. Can someone explain in a reasonable way that I might realise either the error of my ways, or the reason to fight this to the end.
I think Siggi could have something to say here. ____________________ Check my website. look at my profile though as putting it here would be spamming methinks (I worked hard to create it so at least look at it!) Nothing to do with bikes I might add! Might appeal to the more feminine personality. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| killa |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 killa Won't Shut Up

Joined: 18 Oct 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:32 - 02 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I know very little about the subject, in the flat block that i live in the brown envelopes come through the door, and all of us leave them.
I've opened a few and there's nothing for me in there.
My flat mate is lazy and hasn't signed the paper, a guy came round apparently and he signed there and then, he seems to think they're going to smash the door in and rape him.
Pesonally i think like you, what are they going to do? Lock me up, i'd like to see them fucking try it. ____________________ Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Annabella |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Annabella Like a person, only smaller

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mister James |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mister James I want to believe!

Joined: 10 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:49 - 02 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have a fair bit of sympathy with some of your comments, especially those relating to annoying council officials, but my immediate reaction would be for you to vote for a party that supports Proportional Representation, rather than first-past-the-post.
If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem, as the old annoying saying goes - but it does ring true in this case. Too many people think that democracy is just a case of voting for a party. If their policies don't suit you, you have to take a more active part. Unfortunately, in today's instant-gratification society, where the population is lazy and the politicians (often rightfully) mistrusted, people think that their political requirements should just be served up to them on a plate.
Oh, and it's the 'Electoral Roll', not 'role' - Anna, I'm surprised at you!  ____________________ >Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Annabella |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Annabella Like a person, only smaller

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:24 - 02 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tribal_tiger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tribal_tiger World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| VTR SP1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 VTR SP1 Brolly Dolly
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mjolnir |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mjolnir Trackday Trickster

Joined: 23 Jul 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:55 - 02 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
This is just a case of Britain being really backward, we are one of the very few countries that still run "First past the post" as far as I know.
I'm all for Proportional Representation. It does give more chance of having your wants to be passed through, however the bottleneck comes when each of these leading parties can't agree on something so it can take ages for change to actually happen.  ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| R1stu |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 R1stu Shrek!

Joined: 12 Mar 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:15 - 02 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
nah we don't need voting,
we need an assassination market
read this
If the assassination market is seen as civil disobedience instead of terrorism, as suggested by Jim Bell, then this could perhaps lead to a fundamental impact in how governments function: Most public figures would have a price on their head. Jim Bell argues that the price would be somewhat proportional to how much the people dislike the person, and that it would scare politicians from making bad decisions.
Blair and all the scuz bags who replace him would have eaten a bullet already. ____________________ Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tribal_tiger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tribal_tiger World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:28 - 02 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
we need to start an anarco-sydicalist commune. We take it in turns to be a sort of executive officer for the week but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs but by a two thirds majority in the case of...
 ____________________ How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could Chuck Norris?
All of it. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mchaggis |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mchaggis World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:36 - 02 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
It hammers your credit rating if you're not on the electoral roll.
Hence, sign onto it, it can save you money. You can also choose not to appear on the editted version which people can buy. ____________________ I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Luke_Retrofly |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Luke_Retrofly Silly Lesbian

Joined: 05 Jul 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:06 - 02 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
just dont vote  ____________________ Flounced - Long overdue
Fuck you bitch I'm in the top 10 list I can do the what the fuck I want! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| froggeh |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 froggeh World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Jul 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:00 - 02 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
It always amazes me this type of conversation.
The FPTP system is better if you want a government that can actually do anything.
Democracy is at the election. You vote for a government to make laws. In fact I strongly disagree with ANY referendums apart from the ellection... I mean most people voting on something like a european constitution haven't a feckin clue what they're voting for.
You should always vote. A non-vote is a vote for whoever gets in. So even if you hate them all, you should vote for the least-worst.
And as far as life in Britain is concerned. Well I can go for a few beers with my mates 2 or 3 times a week, I can go for a blast on my motorbike from time to time, and I can go on holiday a couple of times a year with my family. I go most years to Amsterdam and chill for a weekend, and until recently I went to the Alps most years to snowboard. Ok there are quite a few laws I disagree with, but I can legally campaign against them. Now go and try this in China, or worst still North Korea, or even Pakistan, India, anywhere in Africa.
Our average lifespan is constantly increasing, and we're getting more wealthy year on in.
What exactly is the fucking problem? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Louise |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Louise World Chat Champion

Joined: 22 May 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:32 - 02 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Delbwoy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Delbwoy Scooby Slapper
Joined: 04 Jun 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:43 - 02 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I don't claim any benefits. I pay my taxes. I only owe my mortgage. I don't need another mortgage, and who is there to vote for that is going to change the voting system to suit my preferences. No one has got the bollocks, either that or the rest of their policies are not worth shit. I'll have to look into it further. I was never really too interested before, but as I may be representing myself in court sometime soon, I ought to have a good argument.
Ok, so I get on the electoral roll just to please the law. That's wrong. I don't want to be on the electoral roll. It doesn't benefit me, and I should have the choice. Why don't I have the choice?
I don't have the choice because it is the law. So this must mean that the people agreed to a law that takes away a freedom of choice. Hmmmmm. Oh yeah, I forgot, the people don't get a say in which laws are passed in this democracy.
My argument doesn't seem that strong at the moment, in as much as "My name ain't on the form cos I don't want it there". A bit feeble I agree, but it doesn't change the fact that I choose not to be on the electoral roll and I should have that freedom of choice. I'm hurting no one, in fact I'm not even potentially hurting anyone or anything. ____________________ Check my website. look at my profile though as putting it here would be spamming methinks (I worked hard to create it so at least look at it!) Nothing to do with bikes I might add! Might appeal to the more feminine personality. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| froggeh |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 froggeh World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Jul 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| froggeh |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 froggeh World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Jul 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:12 - 02 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Delbwoy wrote: | I don't claim any benefits. I pay my taxes. I only owe my mortgage. I don't need another mortgage, and who is there to vote for that is going to change the voting system to suit my preferences. No one has got the bollocks, either that or the rest of their policies are not worth shit. I'll have to look into it further. I was never really too interested before, but as I may be representing myself in court sometime soon, I ought to have a good argument.
Ok, so I get on the electoral roll just to please the law. That's wrong. I don't want to be on the electoral roll. It doesn't benefit me, and I should have the choice. Why don't I have the choice?
I don't have the choice because it is the law. So this must mean that the people agreed to a law that takes away a freedom of choice. Hmmmmm. Oh yeah, I forgot, the people don't get a say in which laws are passed in this democracy.
My argument doesn't seem that strong at the moment, in as much as "My name ain't on the form cos I don't want it there". A bit feeble I agree, but it doesn't change the fact that I choose not to be on the electoral roll and I should have that freedom of choice. I'm hurting no one, in fact I'm not even potentially hurting anyone or anything. |
You're on it because of council tax for one thing.
I just don't see how it is such a hardship. It doesn't cost anything. It doesn't change your life one bit. Why even give it a second thought? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| froggeh |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 froggeh World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Jul 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:51 - 02 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Siggi wrote: |
It'll always be possible to look at other parts of the world and say "It could be worse for me", but what kind of criteria is that to go by? We've become used to a certain potential...sometimes we've reached it, but more often now it's nothing but a false promise. Work a bit harder...a bit harder...a bit harder...oh, bugger, still not made it.
|
But Siggi dude, look back at the 30's 40's 50's... There is less poverty now than at any time in our history. And we're still growing...
| Quote: |
The average wage is what? "27k" or something? One of the govt's most bare-faced lies, based on blatantly twisted statistics.
|
I think it's about right... This is an average. In other words it includes some rather massive wages...
| Quote: |
The average wage in this shithole is around 12k. And that means effective poverty. See the news last night? Abbey have raised their mortgage lending limit to x5 of salary. Do you think they did that just for a laugh? Say goodbye to the golden era of home ownership, because it's gone and will never return.
|
To be fair to Abbey - if you look at the details, it's for people on >50K a year, and they do a check for debt... (I still think it's daft I'll give you that)
| Quote: |
The most common experience in this country, as I said earlier, is both partners working their guts out and still being in debt up to the eyeballs.
|
I think this IS common. But in my experience, alot of these debt ridden people are still out pissing it against the wall, and buying new trainers/handbags every month and have the full Sky subscription.(Ok thats a real generalisation).
| Quote: |
Sure, most people have got three hots and a cot, but there's more to life than just those simple basics. Unless you're a native in Africa. But we're not, and that's the point. |
Again. the number of people on the breadline has got less decade after decade. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| froggeh |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 froggeh World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Jul 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:07 - 02 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
| colin1 wrote: | i also recently succumbed to their vague threats and so am now on the electoral roll at my address.
I dont like it because now anyone who knows my name can find out where i live. This could be a problem at some point.
|
Why dude? You a member of a dodgy org?
| Quote: |
Democracy sounds great in theory, but you dont really have much choice. Even the politicians that seem good at first, turn out to be deranged loons.
|
Always have been. It comes with the job methinks. But to be fair to them (I know, I know), the top ones could be earning shit loads more in big businesses. I do at least give em that.
| Quote: |
I doubt i will vote again, and I know that if i do I will regret it.
|
You should vote for the ones you least dislike... Especially if you're in a marginal. Change is bound to be slow, but it does happen...
| Quote: |
i know people who set it as their goal to be on £1k for each year of their age and they are achieving it. (£21k at 21, £30k at 30) Its pefectly possible if you make the right choices.
Id quite like to make national average wage before I die. I know I deserve it, but so far I think my best bet is to set up side line businesses to boost my income. I certainly wont do it just by working in my line of work. |
What do you do exactly? What skills do you have? I know it says telemarketing, but have you got sales skills which you could certainly use to better that wage ambition... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 19 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|