|
|
| Did you find the prospect of riding a bigger bike daunting? |
| Yes |
|
32% |
[ 15 ] |
| No |
|
67% |
[ 31 ] |
|
| Total Votes : 46 |
|
| Author |
Message |
| chrish2003 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chrish2003 Derestricted Danger

Joined: 02 Oct 2006 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:40 - 26 Nov 2006 Post subject: Never dropped a bike YET. Can I test ride your R6? |
 |
|
I've been riding my YBR125 for about six months now, and loving every minute. However with the recent wet weather and fallen autum leafs things are getting a little trickey in terms of going out for a spin nowadays.
I've heard lots of talk on these forums about riders dropping/ comming off their bikes etc. I must admit I'm a little worried, as I have never dropped, come off, or slipped up on my YBR yet, but I am looking to purchase a bigger (larger cc) bike as soon as the weather clears up a bit in spring. I hope to get a 600cc sports bike, but feeling a little daunted with the prospect of coming off with my inexperience and the increased power etc.
Another thing concerns me is the prospect of having never ridden a bike with this increased (600cc) power.
I would like the oppourtunity of riding a more powerful bike and didn't know the best way to approach this.
I am open to ideas of how I get to test ride a bigger 600cc bike. One idea offered would be to approach an authorised bike dealer, express an interest to purchase a new 600cc bike and ask if I can test ride several new models?
Again not sure how this would go down, esp if I stuff the bike during my testride, hence my anticipation/ worry.
How did you move up to a bigger bike etc?
Thanks All
Chris ____________________ CBT-Passed-Take your CBT Here: Theory-Passed-Take your Theory Test Here : DAS-Passed-summer 2007
My First Bike 125cc- Click Here>>>
My Second Bike 650cc- Click Here >>> |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| trafficdodger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 trafficdodger Scooby Slapper

Joined: 19 Jun 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bikerbanditz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bikerbanditz Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 23 Nov 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dazbo666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dazbo666 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Jun 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:03 - 26 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I started my CBT/DAS last year with zero motorbike experience, and then managed to pass the DAS test first time.
A short while later I managed to get some test rides during a Honda promotional day at a local dealership, so that the 1st bike I rode after my DAS was a brand new CBR600RR, and then a CBF1000.
Yes I was really nervous being so inexperienced on those new bikes, plus the extra power was a bit of a shock to the system. But when it comes down to it as long as your sensible and able to restrain yourself at first, the bike will only accelerate as quickly as you're twisting the throttle.
I'm glad that you seem to have the sense to wait until the weather is a little better, because from experience riding in bad weather can be hazardous enough without having to get used to a powerful unfamiliar bike too. Good luck with your choice
Just for the record my 1st bike has been a Kawasaki GPZ500S. it's not particularly fast by todays supersports standards but it does everything I want it to, and it's also proving to be a valuable learning experience.. ____________________ 1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Finglonga |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Finglonga World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Adam80UK |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Adam80UK Traffic Copper

Joined: 08 Sep 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:52 - 27 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well apart from using a scooter now and then over about 2-3 months, I'd never ridden a bike before. I did my CBT 4th Nov, passed DAS 9th Nov, bought my CBR600F on 10th Nov. It's all good so far, and I am using it in this crap weather. ____________________ Current: '07 Suzuki SV1000 & '07 Honda SH300i (again).
Previously owned: '08 Yamaha R1, '10 Kawasaki Z1000, '07 Honda SH300i, '04 Suzuki SV1000S, '11 Honda CB1000R, '09 Kawasaki ZX-10R, '08 Aprilia Tuono 1000R, '07 Triumph Daytona 675, '95 Honda CBR600F. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| AJ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 AJ Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 12 Aug 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Syx |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Syx World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Oct 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kinamod |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kinamod L Plate Warrior
Joined: 27 Nov 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Paivi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Paivi World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:42 - 27 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Just go for it. They may not let you take loads of bikes for a test ride, so best be focused. Do some research to make up a short list and test ride those in various dealers. Part of the research should be checking how much the insurance would be...
I went to a 695 bike from a 125 scoot with just a 4-hr gear conversion on a CG125cc and 4hrs on another rented one. Sure, I dropped it infront of the dealers (thank god they knew I'd be buying it so they'd already put the crash bungs on it), fell flat on my side, picked it up, hopped on and have never looked back. The extra weight was only about 50kg, as my scoot's heavy, but the bhp was another 55 so a bit more of a difference.
But remember, the bike will go only as fast as you make it go, I haven't gone anywhere near its top speed, nor will I ever go there. Choose a dry day for these test rides and ride carefully. If the dealer has demo bikes, you can do a proper test ride (with years of continuous custom, this stretches to a couple of days and unlimited mileage), but if not, you can usually only do about six miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Trill |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Trill Nova Slayer
Joined: 14 Mar 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mchaggis |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mchaggis World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:35 - 27 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I was bricking it before I got on the Fazer 600 I did my DAS on. As soon as I got on it and realised how much fun it was and how easy it was (torque! compared to a 125 at any rate), I was laughing. Well, I would have been if I wasn't concentrating so hard.  ____________________ I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| puremagic72 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 puremagic72 Brolly Dolly

Joined: 15 Nov 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:32 - 27 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
After going from my ns125 to a cbr600f, i've actually found the cbr was very forgiving, and much more stable than a smaller bike.
As long as your carefull for a while,till you get used to it, you'll be fine.
After only 10 minutes on my cbr, i loved it, and handled superbly, and was pleasantly surprised.
The only time you feel the extra weight, is when your coasting behind traffic at snails pace, but using the back brake to balance yourself, you'll be fine.
Baz.  ____________________ Make; cbr929cc blade Year; 2001
Gsxr 750 2000, alstare Corona, Current bike 1999 R6
(1) Kids in the back seat cause accidents; accidents in the back seat cause kids. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chrish2003 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chrish2003 Derestricted Danger

Joined: 02 Oct 2006 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:45 - 27 Nov 2006 Post subject: I was too scared, so I rode around the car park out the back |
 |
|
When I purchased my 125 the only thing I had ridden before that was a mountain bike, or 1/2 day on a 50cc twist&go during my cbt.
I turned up at the dealer, told them I wanted "DATT ONE" and asked to take it for a spin. "Yeah no problem mate" came the response, but I was so petrified of riding it on the road (not being used to manual gears/clutch etc) I asked if I could ride it around the car park out the back. This chappy musta been P-inng himself when I asked that.
Anyway, I rode it around a bit (about 4 minutes tops) then went inside and did the deal.
Yeah it took a bit of gettin used to, to build up confidence etc, but I now feel the YBR125 hasn't got enough UMMPH to get away from the lights quick enough. I was overtaken from stand still by a 1978 mini cooper once
So the time has come for me to book my Direct Acess, and move up to a bigger bike.
The R6 looks my preferred choice, but could be swayed toward the CBR 600 or Kawi 63* not too sure about the Suzi's cause they not doing for me "Aiieee-ght"
Yammi R6 me thinks
But Like I said, think I'll have to wait till the weather clears up a bit. We had solid rains in our parts for the past week, with hardly any let up. weather mans says its raining !
thanks for the replys people, and even offer of a pillion ride WOW ! ____________________ CBT-Passed-Take your CBT Here: Theory-Passed-Take your Theory Test Here : DAS-Passed-summer 2007
My First Bike 125cc- Click Here>>>
My Second Bike 650cc- Click Here >>> |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| _Will_ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 _Will_ World Chat Champion
Joined: 16 Jan 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:50 - 27 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NSR Mick |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NSR Mick World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:55 - 27 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've been riding for 16 years and had a go on an R6 and found it a handfull (good for wheelies though).
I might try and grab a go on a new R1 or GSXR1000 to see if I can scare myself silly.  ____________________ If you dont like the way that I ride.......Stop trying to keep up!!! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sagalout |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sagalout Nearly there...

Joined: 09 Jun 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:58 - 27 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Been riding since 1990 and havent dropped a bike yet. My old mans been riding since about 1960 and he's never come off either. Its not the inevitability that some would have you believe.
/runs off to find some wood
As for the step up, I went up to an RGV250 from a TZR125, but to be honest a move to a 600 really wouldn't have been any harder (indeed an inline 4 would have been much easier to ride at 18 than the mental 2 stroke!). As others have said, take it easy for a bit with the throttle. The bike itself will be much more stable (heavier weight, bigger contact patch etc) so provided you dont snatch at the throttle its a doddle to ride. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NSR Mick |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NSR Mick World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sagalout |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sagalout Nearly there...

Joined: 09 Jun 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:56 - 28 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
hah
I did take a 5 year break though between 2001 to this year. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| FreshAL |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 FreshAL Sir Crashalot

Joined: 04 Jul 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chrish2003 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chrish2003 Derestricted Danger

Joined: 02 Oct 2006 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:14 - 28 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Speedy3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Speedy3 Traffic Copper
Joined: 13 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:40 - 28 Nov 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
i've rode both an r1 and a r6 on different holidays i've been on, and from experience the r1 is definately easier... maybe r1 stu could shed some light  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| thx1138 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 thx1138 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| AndyT |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 AndyT Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 28 Apr 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 19 years, 319 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|