Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Never dropped a bike YET. Can I test ride your R6?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Did you find the prospect of riding a bigger bike daunting?
Yes
32%
 32%  [ 15 ]
No
67%
 67%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 46

Author Message

chrish2003
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:40 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Never dropped a bike YET. Can I test ride your R6? Reply with quote

Laughing
I've been riding my YBR125 for about six months now, and loving every minute. However with the recent wet weather and fallen autum leafs things are getting a little trickey in terms of going out for a spin nowadays.

I've heard lots of talk on these forums about riders dropping/ comming off their bikes etc. I must admit I'm a little worried, as I have never dropped, come off, or slipped up on my YBR yet, but I am looking to purchase a bigger (larger cc) bike as soon as the weather clears up a bit in spring. I hope to get a 600cc sports bike, but feeling a little daunted with the prospect of coming off with my inexperience and the increased power etc. Sad

Another thing concerns me is the prospect of having never ridden a bike with this increased (600cc) power.
I would like the oppourtunity of riding a more powerful bike and didn't know the best way to approach this.

I am open to ideas of how I get to test ride a bigger 600cc bike. One idea offered would be to approach an authorised bike dealer, express an interest to purchase a new 600cc bike and ask if I can test ride several new models? Confused

Again not sure how this would go down, esp if I stuff the bike during my testride, hence my anticipation/ worry. Rolling Eyes

How did you move up to a bigger bike etc?

Thanks All

Chris
____________________
CBT-Passed-Take your CBT Here: Theory-Passed-Take your Theory Test Here : DAS-Passed-summer 2007
My First Bike 125cc- Click Here>>>
My Second Bike 650cc- Click Here >>>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trafficdodger
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:05 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there i went strait from a 125 to a Yamaha R6 not anywhere near as bad as you think it will be as long as you are sensiible with the throttle if you lived near me i would take you on the back so you had a slight idea of how they ride.

Nige
____________________
Present bike Yamaha R6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikerbanditz
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:10 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have slid off my 50cc scooter and my Yamaha dt 125, both on wet ground. I think it has put me off a bit but I was always worried of coming off. Now I have done it, three times, it doesn't seem like much of an issue.

Tom
____________________
Almost out of control, burn rubber and not your soul.
Divvy Fund = 0.17p
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:03 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started my CBT/DAS last year with zero motorbike experience, and then managed to pass the DAS test first time.

A short while later I managed to get some test rides during a Honda promotional day at a local dealership, so that the 1st bike I rode after my DAS was a brand new CBR600RR, and then a CBF1000.

Yes I was really nervous being so inexperienced on those new bikes, plus the extra power was a bit of a shock to the system. But when it comes down to it as long as your sensible and able to restrain yourself at first, the bike will only accelerate as quickly as you're twisting the throttle.

I'm glad that you seem to have the sense to wait until the weather is a little better, because from experience riding in bad weather can be hazardous enough without having to get used to a powerful unfamiliar bike too. Good luck with your choice Thumbs Up Wink

Just for the record my 1st bike has been a Kawasaki GPZ500S. it's not particularly fast by todays supersports standards but it does everything I want it to, and it's also proving to be a valuable learning experience..
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:06 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed my test (feckin years ago) on my GP100 and on the same day the first big bike I had a go on was my mates Kawasaki Z750Turbo. But you must use self controll on big bikes as they will bite back if you don't and never let the red mist fall or you will be in trouble.

Never found big bikes a problem, in fact now I wouldn't have anything smaller than a 1000cc now.
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam80UK
Traffic Copper



Joined: 08 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:52 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well apart from using a scooter now and then over about 2-3 months, I'd never ridden a bike before. I did my CBT 4th Nov, passed DAS 9th Nov, bought my CBR600F on 10th Nov. It's all good so far, and I am using it in this crap weather.
____________________
Current: '07 Suzuki SV1000 & '07 Honda SH300i (again).
Previously owned: '08 Yamaha R1, '10 Kawasaki Z1000, '07 Honda SH300i, '04 Suzuki SV1000S, '11 Honda CB1000R, '09 Kawasaki ZX-10R, '08 Aprilia Tuono 1000R, '07 Triumph Daytona 675, '95 Honda CBR600F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AJ
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:51 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I been riding a moto roma virage for a couple of months and was able to chuck the thing around and it would handle anything I threw at it but now I went and bought a Varadero 125 and its a big difference the weight is tremendous 151kg so it wont corner in the wet as well as the lighter bike but it has given me the feeling for a bigger bike and looking like a 600cc makes you feel confident without the horse power. But I would take others advice and respect the throttle untill you get used to the bike and you shouldnt have any problems.

I would also advice on riding in the wet and build up your confidence in this area I was unsure about riding in the wet but it's not that bad just think ahead, dont lean over to far and look out for the slippery stuff (drain covers, white lines, road markings oil etc etc)

Happy biking
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Syx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going from my NSR125 to my R6 after the DAS scared me a little - to be honest I was worried about not being able to handle a bigger bike.
Once I was on it though, I picked things up very quickly. Within 15 minutes I was confident I could control the larger bike, and only 6 months later I was beginning to think I needed something larger!

It may feel daunting, but I assure you it won't be.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kinamod
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 27 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:29 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: NSR to R6 Reply with quote

Hi, interesting about the R6 after your NSR125, because that's what I have. SO would you recomment it?

Any idea as to what its like restricted to 33bhp as I'm only 18, and can only do the A2 Licence thingy.

DSJ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:42 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go for it. They may not let you take loads of bikes for a test ride, so best be focused. Do some research to make up a short list and test ride those in various dealers. Part of the research should be checking how much the insurance would be...

I went to a 695 bike from a 125 scoot with just a 4-hr gear conversion on a CG125cc and 4hrs on another rented one. Sure, I dropped it infront of the dealers (thank god they knew I'd be buying it so they'd already put the crash bungs on it), fell flat on my side, picked it up, hopped on and have never looked back. The extra weight was only about 50kg, as my scoot's heavy, but the bhp was another 55 so a bit more of a difference.

But remember, the bike will go only as fast as you make it go, I haven't gone anywhere near its top speed, nor will I ever go there. Choose a dry day for these test rides and ride carefully. If the dealer has demo bikes, you can do a proper test ride (with years of continuous custom, this stretches to a couple of days and unlimited mileage), but if not, you can usually only do about six miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Trill
Nova Slayer



Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went from a RS125 to a gsxr600 k6, no problems whatsoever
____________________
Chrome don't get you home but it sure makes you look good pushing it there.
First bike: RS125 - Current bike: GSXR600 k6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:35 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was bricking it before I got on the Fazer 600 I did my DAS on. As soon as I got on it and realised how much fun it was and how easy it was (torque! Shocked compared to a 125 at any rate), I was laughing. Well, I would have been if I wasn't concentrating so hard. Laughing
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

puremagic72
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:32 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

After going from my ns125 to a cbr600f, i've actually found the cbr was very forgiving, and much more stable than a smaller bike.

As long as your carefull for a while,till you get used to it, you'll be fine.

After only 10 minutes on my cbr, i loved it, and handled superbly, and was pleasantly surprised.

The only time you feel the extra weight, is when your coasting behind traffic at snails pace, but using the back brake to balance yourself, you'll be fine.

Baz. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
____________________
Make; cbr929cc blade Year; 2001
Gsxr 750 2000, alstare Corona, Current bike 1999 R6
(1) Kids in the back seat cause accidents; accidents in the back seat cause kids.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chrish2003
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:45 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: I was too scared, so I rode around the car park out the back Reply with quote

Laughing
When I purchased my 125 the only thing I had ridden before that was a mountain bike, or 1/2 day on a 50cc twist&go during my cbt.

I turned up at the dealer, told them I wanted "DATT ONE" and asked to take it for a spin. "Yeah no problem mate" came the response, but I was so petrified of riding it on the road (not being used to manual gears/clutch etc) I asked if I could ride it around the car park out the back. This chappy musta been P-inng himself when I asked that.

Anyway, I rode it around a bit (about 4 minutes tops) then went inside and did the deal.

Yeah it took a bit of gettin used to, to build up confidence etc, but I now feel the YBR125 hasn't got enough UMMPH to get away from the lights quick enough. I was overtaken from stand still by a 1978 mini cooper once Mad

So the time has come for me to book my Direct Acess, and move up to a bigger bike.

The R6 looks my preferred choice, but could be swayed toward the CBR 600 or Kawi 63* not too sure about the Suzi's cause they not doing for me "Aiieee-ght" Rolling Eyes

Yammi R6 me thinks Mr. Green Thumbs Up

But Like I said, think I'll have to wait till the weather clears up a bit. We had solid rains in our parts for the past week, with hardly any let up. weather mans says its raining ! Shocked

thanks for the replys people, and even offer of a pillion ride WOW !Cool
____________________
CBT-Passed-Take your CBT Here: Theory-Passed-Take your Theory Test Here : DAS-Passed-summer 2007
My First Bike 125cc- Click Here>>>
My Second Bike 650cc- Click Here >>>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:50 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

50cc Auto ->600cc->750cc
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:55 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been riding for 16 years and had a go on an R6 and found it a handfull (good for wheelies though).

I might try and grab a go on a new R1 or GSXR1000 to see if I can scare myself silly. Laughing
____________________
If you dont like the way that I ride.......Stop trying to keep up!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sagalout
Nearly there...



Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:58 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been riding since 1990 and havent dropped a bike yet. My old mans been riding since about 1960 and he's never come off either. Its not the inevitability that some would have you believe.

/runs off to find some wood Wink

As for the step up, I went up to an RGV250 from a TZR125, but to be honest a move to a 600 really wouldn't have been any harder (indeed an inline 4 would have been much easier to ride at 18 than the mental 2 stroke!). As others have said, take it easy for a bit with the throttle. The bike itself will be much more stable (heavier weight, bigger contact patch etc) so provided you dont snatch at the throttle its a doddle to ride.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:00 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sagalout wrote:
Been riding since 1990 and havent dropped a bike yet.


Your not trying hard enough then. Laughing
____________________
If you dont like the way that I ride.......Stop trying to keep up!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sagalout
Nearly there...



Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:56 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hah Smile

I did take a 5 year break though between 2001 to this year.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot



Joined: 04 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:54 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sagalout wrote:
Been riding since 1990 and havent dropped a bike yet.


It's buggers like you who mean I have to drop my bikes so much just to keep the stats up Wink

Embarassed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:07 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are sensible and not likely to be silly going too fast beofre you are ready, i would say the main tricky thing is the extra weight and that particularly with an r6 it seems to be quite high up

id say that if u are sensible, an r1 is easier to ride than an r6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chrish2003
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:14 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked An R1 easyier to ride than an R6 ? You watt, you crazzzy man! Shocked Shocked
____________________
CBT-Passed-Take your CBT Here: Theory-Passed-Take your Theory Test Here : DAS-Passed-summer 2007
My First Bike 125cc- Click Here>>>
My Second Bike 650cc- Click Here >>>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Speedy3
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:40 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've rode both an r1 and a r6 on different holidays i've been on, and from experience the r1 is definately easier... maybe r1 stu could shed some light Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 29 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find moving to a bigger bike, low speed manuevering, turns in the road, pushing the bike, and putting it on and off it's stand feel a little clumsy at first, partly due to the confidence of having a bigger bike, and partly it's different size and weight but you will get used to that very quickly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AndyT
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 28 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 01 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget if you are doing your DAS you will be riding a 500cc like an ER-5 or GS500 so you will get used to the bigger weight, power and braking whilst doing that. I rode a 125 bike for over a year and then went straight onto 500 for my DAS and found it okay, in fact a much easier ride than the 125, i passed my das a couple of days ago and 2 hours after i was on the motorway with my K Plate ZZR600 and loving it - i would recommend that you don'y spend loads on your first big bike so you can get to grips with riding and not worrying about the bike too much. Hope fully after the winter on the zzr and a few early months next year i will be ready for my next big bike like an R6 or old school blade. But don't be scared of bigger bikes - they are great. GOOD LUCK!!!
____________________
DAS Passed - 29/11/06
K reg KWAK ZZR600 - and having fun!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 319 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.17 Sec - Server Load: 0.71 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 137.82 Kb