Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Caught speeding, what next?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

cestrian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:16 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Caught speeding, what next? Reply with quote

Hi, I know this has been done to death but I did a very quick search and found nothing immediately relevant and just need a quick answer.

So I have been zapped doing 35 in a 30 zone by an Arrive Alive van. I was driving my wifes car at the time (licensed, insured taxed etc).
I have had my car license since the age of 17 but my full bike license only a few months. So what will happen next? I know I will probably get 3 points and a £60 fine, but what about retaking tests? How does it affect my license? Does it affect only my car entitlement or will it also affect my bike entitlement?

Thanks

Gordy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

0ddball
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:33 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It affects both, they are the same licence.

You pay the £60, take the 3 points, and carry on with life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:43 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

As above, but the 2 year / 6 point limit applies from when you first got a licence, so you are safe with that.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phil_G
Traffic Copper



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:12 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Re: Caught speeding, what next? Reply with quote

cestrian wrote:
Hi, I know this has been done to death but I did a very quick search and found nothing immediately relevant and just need a quick answer.

So I have been zapped doing 35 in a 30 zone by an Arrive Alive van. I was driving my wifes car at the time (licensed, insured taxed etc).
I have had my car license since the age of 17 but my full bike license only a few months. So what will happen next? I know I will probably get 3 points and a £60 fine, but what about retaking tests? How does it affect my license? Does it affect only my car entitlement or will it also affect my bike entitlement?

Thanks

Gordy



Where abouts was the Arrive alive van? I fall under the Heddlu Goggled Cymru's withering stare too Sad
____________________
1997 Kawasaki ER 500 A1:- Once again, Its merely crap Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cestrian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

SpannerMonkey, as per my initial post, I know about the points and the fine (less than a hours pay) and neither of them are an inconvenience. Getting on with life is what I do second-best.

Keith, cheers. So no stupid training days or extra motorbike tests.

Phil, the Arrive Alive van was in Old Colwyn, on the hill towards the old Colwyn Bay Hotel (70 Degrees as it used to be).

Thanks all. I was wondering if I would have to do another bike test, as I only passed the DAS a few months ago. It seems not.

Thanks again.

Gordy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:40 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had a ticket, or do you just think you have been zapped?

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phil_G
Traffic Copper



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:09 - 25 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cestrian wrote:
Thanks for the replies.


Phil, the Arrive Alive van was in Old Colwyn, on the hill towards the old Colwyn Bay Hotel (70 Degrees as it used to be).


Thanks again.

Gordy


Ohhh.. I know there. Quite local to me too Sad The missus warned me they used to sit up there a while back. Would seem to still be the case Sad

How far up the hill were you? Dont forget it goes to 40 as you approach the bend heading towards the quarry
____________________
1997 Kawasaki ER 500 A1:- Once again, Its merely crap Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cestrian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:32 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, we got the documentation through this morning.

Phil, it looks like you live near Holywell according to the map. If you fancy a ride out, just let us know.

Gordy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:13 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Caught speeding, what next?

Err...slow down? Wink

Don't forget to tell your insurance company for both the 'bike and car that you've got some new points - they probably won't worry about them until renewal time, but you ought to tell them as soon as you have them.

They'll be on your licence for four years, but only taken in to consideration for "totting up" for three.

HTH Smile
____________________
Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine.

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

riffmasher
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 13 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:16 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gordy,
Try this website:

https://www.pepipoo.com/

Also have a look in last weeks MCN as it was decided that speed cameras have not been approved for use on motorcycles due to false readouts.

Send me a PM with your address if you don't have it and I will pop the page in the post mate.

I HATE scammera vans.

Gonna sit back now and wait for the backlash for this!!

Riff
____________________
Of the things in life I have lost, it is my mind I miss the most!
Is there life after death? Mess with my bike and you'll find out!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yep, go through Pepipoo. There are often ways round the tickets, just depends on how long you are prepared to push it and how much abuse you are prepared to put up with (not unknown for people who have given the details in a form not useful in court to get agressive police visits in the very early hours of the morning).

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Black Knight
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:39 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gordy,
TBH unless a clean licence is needed for your work or something of importance, I'd just take the hit.

At that speed its £60 and a 3 points, nothing really. There are reports of people actually being in the sme licence situation as yourself and there insurance premium dropping as they only had 3 points to go, so were more likely to ride cautiously.

If you wanted to fight it, i'd reccomend Motor Defence Team as solicitors. Might be worth having a look at their website anyway, it has a few tips in such as multiple name registration do from now just in case you get another ticket in future.

Cheers

Rick.
____________________
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:53 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

riffmasher wrote:
Also have a look in last weeks MCN as it was decided that speed cameras have not been approved for use on motorcycles due to false readouts.

Two points:
1. Gordy was in his wife's car:
Quote:
I was driving my wife's car at the time

2. (the expected backlash Wink) if you were speeding, then take it on the chin. We all know the law even if we don't agree with it. If you speed, you take the risk of getting caught - Gordy got caught, and should take the punishment like a man, not try to wriggle out of it which only a bounder and a cad would try to do.

TIA Smile
____________________
Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine.

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bikerbanditz
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:38 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the speedometer theory not apply here? Is it not 3% of the speed limit + 3mph to make up for the speedo being wrong?

Tom
____________________
Almost out of control, burn rubber and not your soul.
Divvy Fund = 0.17p
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikerbanditz wrote:
Does the speedometer theory not apply here? Is it not 3% of the speed limit + 3mph to make up for the speedo being wrong?


There is a recommendation from the Association of Chief Police Officers that you have a leeway of 10% + 2mph, but they are free to ignore it whenever they feel like it. You could be prosecuted for 30.000000000000000000000001mph in a 30 limit.

Also your speedo is meant to read accuratly or high.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikerbanditz
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:50 - 26 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right,
Thanks Kickstart

Tom
____________________
Almost out of control, burn rubber and not your soul.
Divvy Fund = 0.17p
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cestrian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:30 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this has gone a bit too far methinks.

3 points and a £60 fine is no big deal. I was only asking if there was some stupid assed rule that was gonna piss me off.

I already know that if his machine said 35mph, then my wifes speedo would have been telling me approximately 38mph. I know the speedo reads too fast as my satnav reads 70mph when my wifes Hyundai speedo reads 75mph and the Renault speedo reads 72mph.

The important thing is that I wont have to attend a class to teach me about speeding or wont have to pass another test.


Thanks

Gordy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

riffmasher
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 13 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:24 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM Gordo wrote:
Two points:
1. Gordy was in his wife's car:

Doh! must read the first post properly, but it still begs the question. MCN pointed out that the cameras were picking up reflections off fairings and giving erroneous readings, if one were to keep ones car well polished surely there must be a larger surface area for reflection and therefore a greater chance of a false reading! Just my thoughts.

KTM Gordo also wrote:
2. (the expected backlash Wink) if you were speeding, then take it on the chin. We all know the law even if we don't agree with it. If you speed, you take the risk of getting caught - Gordy got caught, and should take the punishment like a man, not try to wriggle out of it which only a bounder and a cad would try to do.

Belive it or not I do agree with you and seem to spend my life taking it on the chin continually with three points on my licence! However, the last five times my wife and I have been caught has been by a scamera van on a dual carriageway where we were around 10mph over the limit. But we have lived in a small village for six years now and not once have we seen one here where they will do something for road safety. Happy snapping on the hard shoulder increase revenue and does nothing for road safety. Like I said, I hate scamera vans and now will look for a (legal) way out if I can. If I get pulled by the boys in blue, well fair cop guv. I don't speed in towns only on NSL stretches where it is safe to do so. Same cant be said about the chavs in the village tho'.

Again standing back for the backlash!!

Riff
____________________
Of the things in life I have lost, it is my mind I miss the most!
Is there life after death? Mess with my bike and you'll find out!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 19 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:46 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

riffmasher wrote:
Belive it or not I do agree with you and seem to spend my life taking it on the chin continually with three points on my licence! However, the last five times my wife and I have been caught has been by a scamera van on a dual carriageway where we were around 10mph over the limit.

..and you've not taken the hint yet? Wink The guideline is 10% +2mph, so that's 79mph on a Motorway / dual carriageway - I know a few people who've been given a ticket for 80... harsh, but that's the way it is.

As I said before: we all know the law - if we choose to speed, then we have to face the consequences. I'm astounded that I still have a pointless licence (if you see what I mean).
Quote:
But we have lived in a small village for six years now and not once have we seen one here where they will do something for road safety. ... Same cant be said about the chavs in the village tho'.

Believe it or not, the cameras are deployed where there's an accident problem. Of course I'm not saying whether those are due to excess speed or not (they probably aren't).

With your Nova-boys in the village, I suspect that there haven't been any accidents, otherwise there would be "traffic calming" measures installed. The town I live in has just put in speed humps on the High Street (unsigned at the moment, and I had a bit of a "moment" first time I found an unmarked one...!), despite the pace of traffic being glacial most of the time during the day.

Your village (and local council) may (and probably does) vary.
____________________
Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine.

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:59 - 27 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM Gordo wrote:

Believe it or not, the cameras are deployed where there's an accident problem. Of course I'm not saying whether those are due to excess speed or not (they probably aren't).



Or even vehicles, as gud ol' jeremy clarkson pointed out, someone jumping off a bridge was warranted as a road accident Eh?
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

riffmasher
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 13 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:52 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, the last ticket was 56 in a 50 (dual carriageway) and the one before was 75 in a 70, both before I discovered pepipoo!

As for the village, there is usually a couple of shunts a month and the last one was a couple of chavs who forgot that the right foot is the brake as well as accelerator in a car and rolled it on a blind bend!

You are a lucky man KTM, and I still hate the scameras!

Riff
____________________
Of the things in life I have lost, it is my mind I miss the most!
Is there life after death? Mess with my bike and you'll find out!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.63 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 121.41 Kb