Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Hello!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jump in with two feet or crawl before you walk?
Keep it for longer
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Just straight in
80%
 80%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 15

Author Message

Maestro
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 06 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:47 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Hello! Reply with quote

I passed my CBT about a month ago and after weeks of saving up, I finally bought myself a little Honda FES125.

Now, I was nervous as anything when I did my CBT but my friend was right when he said it would be a doddle.

Finally went out on yesterday for the first time and needless to say, I felt like god! Laughing

I only wanted it to get to and from work but now I'm thinking of doing my DAS (am I old enough? 21) and getting a proper bike already.

What do you suggest? Keep the scooter for longer or just jump straight in and get a proper motorbike? I feel like an idiot on a 125cc as I am a fairly big guy but as I said, I enjoyed it immensely!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 is how old you need to be to take the full unrestricted test (you'll need to do a few days training and use of their bike) you can do the restricted test on your own bike for the cost of the test fee but its a bit pointless.. i'd suggest doing it as soon as humanly possible if you can afford it, next year the test is going to get allot worse and expensive supposedly, not to mention a suitable biger bike is safer to be on Wink
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<


Last edited by mr.z on 15:56 - 06 Dec 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and Congrats.

Do your DAS regardless of if you keep your bike or not. Its usefull to have your full licence so whenever you want you can ride whichever bike.

As to if you should keep your 125, i would recommend riding a 125 for a year or maybe less just to get used to biking and the way traffics flows (or doesent) around us.

If you are financially able then maybe go for a 500cc Twin like a GS500, CB500, GPZ500. That is what you would most likely use when doing your DAS anyways. If you are poor like me, you already have a working bike, stick with it for a while, get your moneys worth...

Its your decision but welcome and ride safe.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got the money (an intensive DAS course is circa 500 quid) and the time and you want to do it, then do it. 21 is old enough to do your DAS. Crappy time of year to be doing DAS though - suggest you ride the 125 through the winter and do your DAS in the spring.



Edit - oh yeah - good point from Mr Z about the test getting harder next year. I forgot about that.


Last edited by angryjonny on 15:57 - 06 Dec 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stiffler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:57 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm in a similar boat. Had my little 125 for a month now and just broke 1k miles. I've driven a car for 6 years and consider myself to have reasonable road sense and a sensible head. I think that if you are comfortable with your current 125 and want to move on there is nothing stopping you. Just remember to take it easy, not be to over confident and save the Godly thoughts for the bedroom!

Personally, my aim is to do my DAS in March-ish as I don't see a point getting a new bike just before the worst winter months as I'll just end up frustrated at not being able to ride it as much as I will want to.

You are old enough for the DAS so what's stopping you Twisted Evil

Tim
____________________
Current Bikes - Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) | BMW G650GS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dew
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 26 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the DAS asap and do test ride. if you can afford and have plans to be riding through the winter, then buy a proper bike, or else wait for spring. Very Happy
Having said that, you get loads of discounts in winter, 'cos not many people are out shopping for bikes Thumbs Up
____________________
Theory: 34/35, 64/75 Test: 23-Oct-06 PASSED (No minors)
Current: Ninja ZX- 6R Future: ???
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Maestro
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 06 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:09 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys.

Financially I can manage it, or atleast, I will be able too after Christmas Wink

I've sent the people who I did my CBT with an email to ask for prices and how long the course takes etc.

With a bit of luck, I'll do it in January just in time for my 22nd.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:03 - 06 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do the test as soon as possible, that way you'll have your license for the spring. Rather than doing lessons in the spring and possibly failing and wasting a few months of good weather Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:08 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me 6 weeks after my CBT before I could afford and 'move up' to passing my test and getting my first 400.

If you feel you're ready, give it a shot.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:41 - 07 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my test 7 days after I did my CBT, and passed. I was only 19 though, so was on a restricted licence.

No reason why you should wait. Then only reason not to would be if YOU didn't think you were ready. Nobody else can tell you that.

Go for it!
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.16 - MySQL Queries: 17 - Page Size: 67.79 Kb