|
|
| Jump in with two feet or crawl before you walk? |
| Keep it for longer |
|
20% |
[ 3 ] |
| Just straight in |
|
80% |
[ 12 ] |
|
| Total Votes : 15 |
|
| Author |
Message |
| Maestro |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Maestro L Plate Warrior
Joined: 06 Dec 2006 Karma : 
|
 Posted: 15:47 - 06 Dec 2006 Post subject: Hello! |
 |
|
I passed my CBT about a month ago and after weeks of saving up, I finally bought myself a little Honda FES125.
Now, I was nervous as anything when I did my CBT but my friend was right when he said it would be a doddle.
Finally went out on yesterday for the first time and needless to say, I felt like god!
I only wanted it to get to and from work but now I'm thinking of doing my DAS (am I old enough? 21) and getting a proper bike already.
What do you suggest? Keep the scooter for longer or just jump straight in and get a proper motorbike? I feel like an idiot on a 125cc as I am a fairly big guy but as I said, I enjoyed it immensely! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mr.z |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mr.z World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:55 - 06 Dec 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
21 is how old you need to be to take the full unrestricted test (you'll need to do a few days training and use of their bike) you can do the restricted test on your own bike for the cost of the test fee but its a bit pointless.. i'd suggest doing it as soon as humanly possible if you can afford it, next year the test is going to get allot worse and expensive supposedly, not to mention a suitable biger bike is safer to be on  ____________________ >RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
Last edited by mr.z on 15:56 - 06 Dec 2006; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheDonUK |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheDonUK World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Feb 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| angryjonny |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 angryjonny World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Sep 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Stiffler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Stiffler World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Sep 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:57 - 06 Dec 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi there,
I'm in a similar boat. Had my little 125 for a month now and just broke 1k miles. I've driven a car for 6 years and consider myself to have reasonable road sense and a sensible head. I think that if you are comfortable with your current 125 and want to move on there is nothing stopping you. Just remember to take it easy, not be to over confident and save the Godly thoughts for the bedroom!
Personally, my aim is to do my DAS in March-ish as I don't see a point getting a new bike just before the worst winter months as I'll just end up frustrated at not being able to ride it as much as I will want to.
You are old enough for the DAS so what's stopping you
Tim ____________________ Current Bikes - Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) | BMW G650GS |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dew |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dew Trackday Trickster

Joined: 26 Sep 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:06 - 06 Dec 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Do the DAS asap and do test ride. if you can afford and have plans to be riding through the winter, then buy a proper bike, or else wait for spring.
Having said that, you get loads of discounts in winter, 'cos not many people are out shopping for bikes  ____________________ Theory: 34/35, 64/75 Test: 23-Oct-06 PASSED (No minors)
Current: Ninja ZX- 6R Future: ??? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Maestro |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Maestro L Plate Warrior
Joined: 06 Dec 2006 Karma : 
|
 Posted: 17:09 - 06 Dec 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for the replies guys.
Financially I can manage it, or atleast, I will be able too after Christmas
I've sent the people who I did my CBT with an email to ask for prices and how long the course takes etc.
With a bit of luck, I'll do it in January just in time for my 22nd. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarkJ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarkJ World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Apr 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:03 - 06 Dec 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'd do the test as soon as possible, that way you'll have your license for the spring. Rather than doing lessons in the spring and possibly failing and wasting a few months of good weather  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| craigs23 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 craigs23 Mr Muscle

Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Suzuki |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Suzuki Roger

Joined: 03 May 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 08:41 - 07 Dec 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I did my test 7 days after I did my CBT, and passed. I was only 19 though, so was on a restricted licence.
No reason why you should wait. Then only reason not to would be if YOU didn't think you were ready. Nobody else can tell you that.
Go for it! ____________________ <Simple> no I'm shaven Jon
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 19 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|