Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Train announcements

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:24 - 10 Dec 2006    Post subject: Train announcements Reply with quote

Actual announcements that London Tube train drivers have made to their passengers...


1) "Ladies and Gentlemen, I do apologize for the delay to your service. I know you're all dying to get home, unless, of course, you happen to be married to my ex-wife, in which case you'll want to cross over to the Westbound and go in the opposite direction."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------
2) "Your delay this evening is caused by the line controller suffering from E & B syndrome: not knowing his elbow from his backside. I'll let you know any further information as soon as I'm given any."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------
3) "Do you want the good news first or the bad news? The good news is that last Friday was my birthday and I hit the town and had a great time. The bad news is that there is a points failure somewhere between Stratford and East Ham, which means we probably won't reach our destination."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------
4) "Ladies and gentlemen, we apologize for the delay, but there is a security alert at Victoria station and we are therefore stuck here for the foreseeable future, so let's take our minds off it and pass some time together. All together now.... 'Ten green bottles, hanging on a wall.....'."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------
5) "We are now travelling through Baker Street... As you can see, Baker Street is closed. It would have been nice if they had actually told me, so I could tell you earlier, but no, they don't think about things like that".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------
6) "Beggars are operating on this train. Please do NOT encourage these professional beggars. If you have any spare change, please give it to a registered charity. Failing that, give it to me."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------
7) During an extremely hot rush hour on the Central Line, the driver announced in a West Indian drawl: "Step right this way for the sauna, ladies and gentleman... unfortunately, towels are not provided."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------
8) "Let the passengers off the train FIRST!" (Pause .) "Oh go on then, stuff yourselves in like sardines, see if I care - I'm going home...."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------
9) "Please allow the doors to close. Try not to confuse this with 'Please hold the doors open.' The two are distinct and separate instructions."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------
10) "Please note that the beeping noise coming from the doors means that the doors are about to close. It does not mean throw yourself or your bags into the doors."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------
11) "We can't move off because some idiot has their hand stuck in the door."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------
12) "To the gentleman wearing the long grey coat trying to get on the second carriage - what part of 'stand clear of the doors' don't you understand?"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------
13) "Please move all baggage away from the doors." (Pause..) "Please move ALL belongings away from the doors." (Pause...) "This is a personal message to the man in the brown suit wearing glasses at the rear of the train: Put the pie down, Four-eyes, and move your bl**dy golf clubs away from the door before I come down there and shove them up your a**e sideways!"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------
14) "May I remind all passengers that there is strictly no smoking allowed on any part of the Underground. However, if you are smoking a joint, it's only fair that you pass it round the rest of the carriage."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if it's a repost
____________________
Humans....the largest form of cancer the world has ever seen!
Speed Cameras - Putting goverment revenue before public safety!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dransy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:44 - 11 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol if that is true then its bloody damn funny Laughing
____________________
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 11 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, THAT is rate funny. shame i've run out of karma points to give out. Never heard anythign as profound or as silly as that when i got the train home from school. LOL - pass the dutchie 'pon the left hand side.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:41 - 11 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha, ha, Mr. Green

you'd never hear of owt like that up here,polite,

he,he.. Thumbs Up
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

swaffs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 11 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very funny,
I have heard comments like that on the tube before.

A good friend of mine is a driver on the Northern Line, and is well know for similar remarks.
____________________
Swaffs Photography |
BCF vinyl stickers
"Look not back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around you in awareness."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:13 - 11 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard once on the District Line train approaching Earls Court: "Apologies for the delay. You're not going to believe this, but I've just been told a Circle Line train, instead of turning right towards High Street Ken decided to go straight into sidings. How bloody difficult is it: the clue is in the name, Circle Line, would you like me to spell it for you?"

An hour later we were finally on our way. Took that long to get somebody down who could manually override the controls so the train could reverse into the tracks.

Very funny characters also among the station announcement staff at Baker Street and Moorgate.
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 11 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mornington Crescent!

I win.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:43 - 11 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny

I like the last one Laughing

I rememeber a taxi driver once saying that to me/mates when we (not me ofcourse Twisted Evil ) sparked up a joint coming back from somewhere!
____________________
Dave
XJR400 Kenney Roberts Paint Job
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:53 - 11 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Mornington Crescent!

I win.

OK, I give up. Why Mornington Crescent?
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:09 - 11 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
Mornington Crescent!

I win.

OK, I give up. Why Mornington Crescent?


It's a very difficult game and there are many variations of the rules. Nevertheless, here are a few pointers in the right direction:

https://www.geocities.com/verdrahciretop/mc1.html
https://www.amazonsystems.co.uk/data/morn.htm
https://www.galactic-guide.com/articles/6S8.html
https://www.dunx.org/mc/

Right, you'll be ready for a game then. OK, I'll start:

Leicester Square (I've picked quite an easy one to begin with).
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 11 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockfosters Shifty
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:07 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good move, but you'll have to do better than that - I'm not falling for the Knox Gambit! Time to open another horizontal:

Bromley-by-Bow
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:30 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

'And thats numberwizz'

Or whatever that gameshow is off that thing by the peepshow people.

(i now blame it on the LACK of drugs!)
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:33 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at the links you posted and I still have no idea how to play the game! Laughing I played the computer one several times and almost always won, but have no idea how I did it.

Give me strip poker anyday...
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:35 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, unless you can beat a Royal Flush, I do believe you have to go starkers now Smile
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:42 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five aces, sorry mate. Laughing
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:42 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
I had a look at the links you posted and I still have no idea how to play the game! Laughing I played the computer one several times and almost always won, but have no idea how I did it.


You need to join in a few games against real humans. I don't think computers are a match for real people - it's not quite as simple as something like Chess. Have a go here, just join in - though after looking at his last move again, I think Stinkwheel might be a closet grandmaster!

If you get into it, ask for NF Stovold’s "Mornington Crescent: Rules and Origins" for Christmas - but it may be hard to find as it's out of print. Your local bookshop might have a copy of "The Little Book of Mornington Crescent" or "Stovold's Mornington Crescent Almanac" which would also make excellent presents.
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:45 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmahon wrote:
Time to open another horizontal:

Bromley-by-Bow


I can see what you're trying to do but remember, there is no early morning Whitechapel to Barking on the Hammersmith & City. I'm not falling into the trap of making a district loop this early in the game.

As such, you're bringing things dangerously close to the river.

Shadwell (anticlockwise!).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:36 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
dmahon wrote:
Time to open another horizontal:

Bromley-by-Bow


I can see what you're trying to do but remember, there is no early morning Whitechapel to Barking on the Hammersmith & City. I'm not falling into the trap of making a district loop this early in the game.

As such, you're bringing things dangerously close to the river.

Shadwell (anticlockwise!).

Laughing The computer kept telling me stuff like that when I was selecting stations at random!

I'm going to have the get the books now to learn this weird game. Shame for a Londoner not to have a clue!

Euston Square.
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:34 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't expecting such a bold move from a begginer - are you sure you haven't played before? I've thought about Farringdon but that would leave me boxed. Because of the Eastern tilt I'm almost forced to pass but as Cannon Street is closed for repairs AND we appear to be playing Rushton rules, I believe that I've got a get-out:

Dollis Hill
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to go for my old home station: Baker Street. And then I'm off to Foyle's in Charing Cross Rd for a rule book. Very Happy
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmahon wrote:
Dollis Hill

Doh! Oh man, dmahon you had to do it didn't you? This may take some time.

I'll keep working on a way out of this but with the horizontals already in play, it could take some figuring out.

Meantime:

Dollis Hill Brick Wall
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:43 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit stuck now myself, but let's see if you can get usout of the loop from here. If you can post within 5 minutes, you might just be able to reach escape velocity:

Holborn
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was considering countering with a Grange Hill loop to avoid the Dollis Hill backshunt but this would leave my part of the game in an untenably weak position.

I think however I may have the solution. Unfortunately, it wont work while the central line is being quartered like that.

Dollis hill.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 12 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good solid move, and also leaves players on an even quadrant in spoon, if I'm not very much mistaken. But, it means under Rushton's I can play:

Warren Street

Of course prior to the 1994 revision this move would have been illegal.

Paivi (or anyone else) - can you help us out?
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 299 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.63 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.21 Kb