Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Help! :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

ProXimaCore
Dougal



Joined: 01 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:18 - 05 Jul 2003    Post subject: Help! :( Reply with quote

I was riding down a road last night on my NSR when I'm assuming my bike ran out of fuel. (the reserve doesnt seem to work, but that's a seperate problem). Biker stopped by and took me to a garage to get more, so we refueled the bike and now it wont start. A couple of car drivers stopped by to help also. We tried bump starting and we tried using jump leads from the car battery. But nothing worked. It doesnt sound like it's struggling to start. It's making all the right sounds but the engine just wont engage.

Currently my bike is stranded about 15 miles away in some strangers garden. I'm now trying to find a van to get it home, but that's not looking so good either. Anyone got any ideas i can try on the bike? Crying or Very sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:46 - 05 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

What kind of noise is it making? Is the engine turning over or is just the starter motor turning over (this would make a whizzing sound).

However I would suspect you have another problem given that the engine died. Check whether you are getting a spark. If you are check it is in the right place (Scottys bike had a plug that was shorting out and although it appeared to be sparking, the spark was actually between the plug and the engine when there was a small gap rather than between the 2 electrodes). Check your kill switch is in the run position. If you have run the bike out of petrol a few times then you might have blocked any fuel filters in the system

If after trying to start it for a while you take the plug out and it is still dry then the engine isn't getting any fuel. In which case either the filter is blocked, the jets are blocked or the floats are stuck. Tapping the float bowl of the carb (use something like the handle of a screw driver) may well free off the floats.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal



Joined: 01 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 05 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just the starter motor turning over. Making that whizzing sound. Mind you it started to sound a little more 'normal' after about 30 minutes of trying this. I dont know if that means we cleared something out. But it still wont go.

Thanks for the help, I'll try what you suggested when I get it back.

Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:05 - 05 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If it is just the starter motor turning without the engine turning over then it is probably the starter "clutch" sticking. As such take off the alternator cover and examine it. Hopefully it just needs cleaning up and will work fine again

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal



Joined: 01 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 07 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well everyone my bike is still at the mechanics getting fixed. That's been over a month now. It was the barrel that was knackered. I've read posts about others having this same difficulty with low compression and problems with their barrel which sound identical. Unfortunatly I don't have a clue how to sort it myself so taking it to a garage was my only other choice. Cost will be roughly £350. Crying or Very sad

I can't believe it's been a whole month and they still haven't got it ready for me. Apparently they are still waiting for the barrel to come back from wherever they have sent it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
TGE125NSR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
TGE125NSR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ProXimaCore
Dougal



Joined: 01 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:20 - 07 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it needs a new piston and gasket too. I don't really have a clue what costs what. I seen a post somewhere (cant find it now) someone had the same problem and it cost them roughly the same.

From what the mechanic said, it had pretty much eaten a hole in itself.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Lee
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 02 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:25 - 07 Aug 2003    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote

TGE125NSR wrote:
I wonder when mine is going to need a rebuild? currently at 31,110kms.
Any ideas? Confused


Tomorrow?

Taking bets.......2 to 1 on tomorrow Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal



Joined: 01 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:37 - 07 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how this could have happened? Am I doing something I shouldn't be doing? Or is it something that needs to be done after a certain time? The bike is a '97 model and has done 14,500 Miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
TGE125NSR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kris
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:22 - 07 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProXimaCore wrote:
Can anyone tell me how this could have happened? Am I doing something I shouldn't be doing? Or is it something that needs to be done after a certain time? The bike is a '97 model and has done 14,500 Miles.


What happened to your bike sounds identical to what happened to mine (although at 17K rather than 14K miles). It felt like it ran out of petrol...clutch in I coasted to the kerb. Tried to start it on reserve but no joy. Tried bumping it but nothing Confused

Calle dthe garage and the guy said it was either the spark plug or it was something more serious. Guess what? Yup, mucho dollars later (£300+) I had a new barrel and piston rings fitted. The bike had 'eaten' itself much like yours.

Get used to it - it's a 2-stroke after all. Very Happy It's the price you pay for performance from smaller engines.

Oh and one more thing...the bike will need running in when you get it back.


Kristof
____________________
NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal



Joined: 01 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:27 - 07 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's exactly the way it happend. I can't wait to get it back. How much of a running in should I give it? I take it I shouldn't thrash it around for a while then?

What's worse on top of all this, my car has had 3 things wrong with it in the space of this month my bike has been away. So between the two of them this month it's been about £1000 of repairs. Crying or Very sad

I'm going to sell my car so I can get myself sorted out. The bike is much more fun anyway. Plus I can always just borrow the parents car if I need to.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:31 - 07 Aug 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the 'safe' thing to do would be to run it in about 450-500 miles Very Happy 'Running in' means keeping it below around 7K on the tacho and not labouring the gears etc.

I think I lasted about 200 or so before I thought "Fuck this lark" and nailed it Mr. Green It's up to you really - as long as you warm the bike up properly before riding off I can't see any harm in just riding normally BUT taking it easy for the first few hundred miles.

Good luck with the bike.

Kristof
____________________
NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 23 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.44 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 86.75 Kb