Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Films

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:01 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Films Reply with quote

Just wanted to make a thread about some films because I’m building up a list of what I need to watch, I’ve made some quick reviews.

I’ve watched them due to a number of reasons, I’ve been recommended a few.

I watched Troy last night, I wanted to see it when I came out in the cinema due to the trailer.
If there’s one thing to satisfy me, it’s Greek Mythology, death by cold steal, real men fighting war.

When I got to the end of the film I was not overly…...anything really…….it’s epic I’ll give it that but bland like plain toast.
The battle scenes were fantastic, although I did think some of the quick flashes of strikes and deaths were sometimes too fast, which became annoying.
I don’t know who wrote the script, I’m not going to find out, or perhaps I should so I know what to avoid………
Thinking on, the acting from some of the cast was good, convincing, but the Princes were terrible, some of the stand alone actors would ruin a scene and Brad Pitts looks of anger made me giggle.
It could be to do with the time scale of the scenes being taken or something as I imagine most of the film is CGI you could loose your ‘moment’.

Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse, Orlando Bloom kills Achilles. Don’t worry I haven’t ruined the film, its shi* anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve been putting off watching The Island for sometime now because I’ve heard numerous accounts of it being naff.
In all honesty I was impressed, after watching Troy this was entertainment IMO. Thumbs Up
The plot was thick enough for Sci-Fi fans, the action was up there with the likes of Minority Report, the cast was varied and you got a good vibe from the start of the films setting.
Ewan McGregor came across as believable, I thought he would still have the Jedi in him but actually took off this new idea pretty well. Scarlet Johansson makes for a good screen buddy, I think they should pair up again at some point.

When the film starts to roll a little faster the special effects are very nice, well choreographed and looked polished, I really liked the surprising brutality of some of the scenes where people are taken out as the film did start off with a very universal feel.
The only bad points didn’t bother me really as the overall package was good clean fun, it was an opportunity for some huge plugs *cough* Chrysler *cough* but as I said, not really bothered.
I was impressed with the Honda jet bike scene it came across quite believable. Lol

I enjoyed this film, it wasn’t awe inspiring but left me thinking.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the third time in the space of a year I’ve watched The Punisher IMO the best Marvel film conversion I’ve seen yet and it’s not been advertised to death like the utter shite Spider man and Hulk. And just for the record, I very very rarely watch any films more than once in the space of a year.
I didn’t watch it for sometime, I’ve enjoyed Spider man comics and loved the Hulk cartoons….I hated both of the films, mainly because of my hatred for anything ‘Dunst’ and chap in the red suit, I’d rather lick a battery.

I watched the Punisher with one thing in mind, don’t hate it, give it a chance.
At first the typical American imagery and cliché shots had me thinking it was going to turn into another mainstream conversion of something that is meant to be underground and nasty.
Oh how surprised I was, the build up to the Punisher T-shirt moment was almost cringing, but there was a good reason for it, everything down to the soppy music the hideous child actor Sick and the good all American vibe was just what it needed.
The thing that struck me more than anything was the sound, the music score was perfect for the scenes and the gun shots took me back to the mid 90’s action films we all love.
The wholesome family deal at the beginning is swiftly turned into a mission fuelled on hate, thankfully the child actor is taken out, even more satisfying, taken out by a 4x4 full of henchmen…..sweet.
Must admit the scene gets me every time where he is holding his wife and child shortly after, you know some shi* is going to hit the fan.
Two favourite scenes in the film being the hitman from Memphis and ‘The Russian’……this is a must see movie!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly I got stoned last night and watched Harold & Kumar get the munchies

Defiantly not the one of the best stoner movies ever, a bit of a disappointment.
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:04 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Troy was a rancid pile of monkey spunk, but the Island was good.

I watch Phone Booth last night, and was very impressed. It's quite a feat to keep people engaged with a story when the entire film is set with the guy in a phone box. Fairly predictable twist at the end, but it's a damn enjoyable film anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:10 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
I thought Troy was a rancid pile of monkey spunk, but the Island was good.

I watch Phone Booth last night....


Phone booth was bad ass!
I was like Shocked at the end! LOL

Yeah Troy, wanted to like it. Rolling Eyes
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

oddkid
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 16 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit obcure with my movie choices to be fair. The latest Bond is one of the best movies i've seen to date. I agree Troy just wasn't quite what it was built up to be, never seen the Island, it looks boring to me, Harold and Kumar made me laugh i have to admit, yes the Punisher is Badass! Concerning phone booth i'm going to play a theory to you.

Movies + Kiefer Sutherland = Fucking Awesome.
____________________
Always read the destructions.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddkid wrote:
the Island, it looks boring to me


The island did look boring, I think it’ll surprise you.

oddkid wrote:
Movies + Kiefer Sutherland = Fucking Awesome.


Theory works.
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:44 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

V for Vendetta was excellent.

I watched Miami Vice the other night, was was OK. Nothing special, but certainly watchable.

If you've not seen it, Casino Royale was superb.

I've also had a recommendation for The Departed. Supposed to be amazing.
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:51 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:
If you've not seen it, Casino Royale was superb..


Now I've been thinking about this. I came away from Casino Royale thinking "wow, that was really good" but since then I've been wondering if I would have thought that of the same film if it didn't have the name James Bond attached to it.

It was good in that it seems to have moved on from the nonsense and clichés of past Bond films, so it's excellent in context. But if it was just a stand-alone film that I'd gone to see without any preconceptions, would it have still been as good? Or would it have just been a tame action film with a few witty quips and a game of poker that went on far too long?

Answer... I dunno. It's a rhetorical question I suppose. But I did enjoy it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:53 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second time I've mentioned this one but I liked it that damn much! Very Happy

Severance, a horror but with a bit of comedy thrown in for good measure, very good film, not too much comedy to make it stupid, just enough to keep the film serious but entertaining on more than one level.

Next is 11:14 or eleven fourteen, bit of an thriller about when 6 or 7 lives or something all relate to each other at exactly 11:14, very good film that keeps you guessing until the end.

Beer fest isn't bad, if you liked films like road trip then chances are you'll like this, not as good as road trip but similar comedy.

Employee of the month, a comedy with the happy ending for the ladies, very good film, so good I watched it twice and still laughed at all the jokes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Steve H
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:01 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna go to the pictures to watch some predictable adrenelin fuelled bollocks tonight and if I can't get in to see Rocky Balboa I'll stay in and watch some WWF instead Wink
____________________
Mellow Yellow
The BCF Top TEN - 2010, 2009, 2008, The Original.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Al
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Re: Films Reply with quote

killa wrote:


Lastly I got stoned last night and watched Harold & Kumar get the munchies

Defiantly not the one of the best stoner movies ever, a bit of a disappointment.



Probably the worst story line ever, but I found it really funny, perhaps you should get some better weed next time Smile
____________________
Yamaha FZR400RR 3tj
My Instagram Thingy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:16 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Re: Films Reply with quote

Al wrote:
Probably the worst story line ever, but I found it really funny, perhaps you should get some better weed next time Smile


If you're going to make a funny film including weed, make sure the whole film isnt about driving, therefore you wont have to let them sober up for mot of it, making it more of a stoner film.

It was pants
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fenton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:42 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone watched the departed....What a film. so many twist and turns. and an ending no one would expect.... 9/10
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:49 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon mentioned that earlier, i'll check it out Thumbs Up
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:01 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched 2 films at the cinema over the past 2 weeks.

The first was "The Pursuit of Happyness" I give this an 8/10 as it has a heartfelt story and a real sense of courage for the man and Will Smith acts really well in this film, has really grown into a brilliant actor. (Though I still prefer "Prince of Belair". Wink )

Then last Friday I watched "Employee of the month".

Yeah Jessica Simpson has a nice rack, you also get a lot of nipple through her top moments, but other than that it wasn't a very funny comedy. Just a bit stupid, but I guess if you have nothing better to do, then watch it. 5/10.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

froggeh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:46 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

How you cant like Dunst is beyond me... She is lovely.

Anyway
Some of my favourite, and recently enjoyed films...

Pi (1998) - Black and white purposely poor quality film about the number Pi - really really surreal but excellent.
(Seriously I have watched this at least 10 times)

Batman Begins (2005) - A surprisingly excellent film - Christian Bale is excellent.

Sin City (2005)- I was told it was really violent, and watched it on Sky movies the other week - Thoroughly enjoyed the graphic novel style, and the violence is perfect for the film.


Some films if you haven't watched you really really ought to
The Shawshank Redemption - I can't believe anyone hasn't watched this superb film yet?
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - I love this
Dark City - Very odd film - but very good IMO
Kill Bill 1 & 2 - Proper QT



"Bad" films that I really enjoyed
Daredevil - Sorry, but I loved it
AI - Again , meandering sci-fi twaddle, but I absolutely love this film, watched it 5 or 6 times
Spawn - Another comic strip film, probably terrible, but I really liked it.


Loads more too that I can't think of at the mo.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Duckyboos
Traffic Copper



Joined: 06 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:52 - 23 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

V is for Vendetta Thumbs Up

Have gotten into gangsta-style brit flicks lately. Dead Mans Shoes was a dark but funny one. Nil By Mouth with Ray Winstone was gritty and grimy - was peering at most of it thru my fingers. I liked Layer Cake partly (but not entirely) because of Daniel Craig.

And I saw The Libertine with Johnny Depp... looking a little less than his normal delectable self, as a 17th Century poet whose lust for adventure sent him to his deathbed at 33, riddled with syphillis. Slightly more arty than I'd usually choose, but a good 'if all else fails' flick.

Got a voocher from them LoveFilm people for Christmas. Any recommendations for good gritty Brit-flicks? (Not old old ones mind).


Last edited by Duckyboos on 00:02 - 24 Jan 2007; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GodzGift
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:00 - 24 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood Diamond was a cool film
____________________
Bike Level: Amateur | CBT Passed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daz|n00by
The Internet



Joined: 11 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:17 - 24 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i,m getting bored of films at the moment. got so many to watch but just cant be bothered tbh

the remake of the hitcher doesnt look to bad was going to watch it monday but thought "cant be arsed" and als primeval is supposed to be good but then again cant be arsed to sit and watch it.
Need some new blockbuster to pop up really to try and gain some interest.
____________________
"Its Better To Burn Out Than Fade Away!!!!!!" "Lifes a bitch and then you Die"
"I`m a tool, one with just enough intelligence to know it, just enough spirit to resent it...but not enough backbone to do anything about it. " Siggi 2006 pure class. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:41 - 24 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
I've watched 2 films at the cinema over the past 2 weeks.

The first was "The Pursuit of Happyness" I give this an 8/10 as it has a heartfelt story


There’s only one thing worse than a film with Will Smith, and that’s Will Smith and his kid. Sick

froggeh wrote:
How you cant like Dunst is beyond me... She is lovely.


That’s pretty much the reason I dislike her, she all American goodness…..irritating IMO.
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:44 - 24 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duckyboos wrote:
Any recommendations for good gritty Brit-flicks? (Not old old ones mind).


Dead mans shoes was good yeah!

I’d recommend Love honour and Obey if you haven’t seen it, but I’m sure you have.
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:26 - 24 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3iucC42Ug

This looks wicked.....good old Neo... lol
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

techierob
Traffic Copper



Joined: 05 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:36 - 24 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duckyboos wrote:
Any recommendations for good gritty Brit-flicks? (Not old old ones mind).

not sure what you'd consider "old old", but for what it's worth:
Dog Soldiers - more funny than gritty
Gangster Number One
My Name is Joe
Sexy Beast
Touching The Void - a documentary, but I liked it
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:41 - 24 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone seen Acid House Shocked

Confused

Odd
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

peppa pig
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:06 - 24 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Revolver last night, was really looking forward to it but ended up feeling let down Sad and confused Confused It was pretty boring, I even fell sleep for a bit, then caught the last 20 minutes and ended up not having a clue what it had all been about, I'm wondering now if I missed something crucial while I was snoozing and maybe thats why I didnt understand it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nrml76
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:17 - 24 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched 'perfume' recently. It was an interesting alternative to the usual blood and gore serial killer films, but the mass orgy scene at the end slightly spoiled what was otherwise a good film.
____________________
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.5 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 141.54 Kb