Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

London - Cost of living

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Topic moved: from Random Banter to Dear Auntie BCF... by EuropeanNC30Rider (11 Jan 2007 - 19:55)
View previous topic : View next topic  

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

feef wrote:
instigator wrote:
However, I tried 2 agencies in Aberdeen and they immediately dismissed my cv

Don't waste your time with agencies.. get your arse in gear, do some research into the companies up there, and send your CV directly to them.

a

I know mate. I took the lazy arse route. Problem was I didn't have a clue about who to apply to...the BEng degree isn't my strongest point, it was my work experience throughout University that got me the job.

Andy - Got myself a job as an engineer in a very large engineering company. Sector I am working in is Building Services although there will be the chance to move about once qualified. They have good training schemes set-up. What I'll be doing is my BEng Hons (in Open University) and the 'macthing section' at the same time so that once both are done, I should be chartered within 4-5 years. Think they want me to be in CIBSE but I'll be aiming for IMECHE as well if I find it really makes a difference.

I didn't pass my honours year. I could have but ran out of enthusiasm. Wanted more practical experience in the work place really. But this goes to show how important work experience is. You have to get a summer placement when at Uni Andy...you should go to your careers service next week and start applying for places. You can hit MEGA bucks whilst being a student. Thumbs Up And the degree title doesn't really mean much these days...it gets your foot in the door so to speak, industrial experience pretty much guarantees you a job. Thumbs Up

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 16:29 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, yea i decided to not try and get a placement in my first year but going to really go for it in the summer end of year 2 as want to work as little as possible this summer for verious reasons.

How long would it take you to get charted with only the Beng? (roughly, i know it takes different amounts of time for each person). have the company told you if they have any plans for uncharted engineers to become charted (if that makes sense).

Also, what is CIBSE?? In chem eng we have ICHEME which is assume is simular to IMECHE but never heard of CIBSE.

Also with your degree, did you do a year in industry?

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

No year in industry for me.

Not sure about how long it'll take me to get chartered. I reckon 2 years of Open Uni home learning but at the same time doing a matching section at work in the same 2 years and I'll be working then so maybe 4 years. CIBSE is the chartered institute of building services engineers, but am already a member of imeche anyway so will most likely try and get both titles if I can.

The company has a course that is accredited with the CIBSE to get me chartered and it is their aim for all their graduates to become chartered. Thumbs Up

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 16:42 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good, year 4-5year is the average i believe, i wish you luck as something really good to have.

Why did you decide against the year in industry? I plan to do one with Meng so 5years which is a bit daunting (esp as ive just finished my first lot of exams and had to work so hard for them) but think it will be worth, much better job prospects in Engineering than most things which is reassuring but i have to work so much harder than most of my friends (except other Chem Engers).

was there the option of year in industry?

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 17:20 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that you will find a company that won't employ you because you've only got a BEng.

By that I mean if you have an interview and don't get the job with a BEng, having exactly the same interview with an MEng won't get you the job.

I am fairly confident that a BEng with a decent year in industry is better than a straight MEng. Not only because a lot of companies offer their placement students a graduate job.

The company I am currently on placement with have offered me a graduate job and sponsorship in the final year. The amount of hassle and fighting for jobs that's going to save in the final year is unreal.

You do however have to do all the fighting for jobs in your second year instead of final, looking for your placement. As a lot of people on my course discovered, you aren't simply assigned a placement job, you need to apply to companies and do it the hard way.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy C wrote:
sounds good, year 4-5year is the average i believe, i wish you luck as something really good to have.

Why did you decide against the year in industry? I plan to do one with Meng so 5years which is a bit daunting (esp as ive just finished my first lot of exams and had to work so hard for them) but think it will be worth, much better job prospects in Engineering than most things which is reassuring but i have to work so much harder than most of my friends (except other Chem Engers).

was there the option of year in industry?

Np option for us mechanical engineers. For civil engineers, it was part of getting their degree i.e a placement for minimum of 6 months Looking back on it, I am glad I did not take a year out for a placement, the summer placements were enough. Thumbs Up

As Carvell has said, any placements at all really do look ace on your Cv as a graduate. I was given sponsorship throughout University, from 2nd-4th year which allowed me to get all the expensive bikes I had Razz Otherwise I could never afford them. Was on 14k as a student up to 16.5k in my final year and graduate salary was set to be about £23k but I dumped that company after I finished University because I just plain didn't like the contracting side of construction. I had to pay back the £3k they paid me but that was worth it.

If I could do it all again, I would have joined up with the Navy as soon as I started University. Their sponsorship schemes are like nothing else. It's not all about the money of course.

Thankfully the people in my year weren't too "on the ball" when it came to their future and I got the 2nd job I applied for. Only got asked 3 questions in the interview and one of them was "Do you play golf?" Laughing

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 12:55 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

carvell wrote:
I doubt that you will find a company that won't employ you because you've only got a BEng.

By that I mean if you have an interview and don't get the job with a BEng, having exactly the same interview with an MEng won't get you the job.

I am fairly confident that a BEng with a decent year in industry is better than a straight MEng. Not only because a lot of companies offer their placement students a graduate job.

Yea, im defernetly doing the year in industry and i think the masters will help with getting chartered quicker so worth my time IMO.

instigator wrote:
As Carvell has said, any placements at all really do look ace on your Cv as a graduate. I was given sponsorship throughout University, from 2nd-4th year which allowed me to get all the expensive bikes I had Otherwise I could never afford them. Was on 14k as a student up to 16.5k in my final year and graduate salary was set to be about £23k but I dumped that company after I finished University because I just plain didn't like the contracting side of construction. I had to pay back the £3k they paid me but that was worth it.

Yea i didnt think about that, im not doing too badly as getting lots of "free" money though the new uni system (about £4.2k on top of my student loan a year) though a grant and burserys so should have almost 4grand for the summer to start riding again.

Are the navy sponserships really good? i have heard a lot about them from people (though i dont know anyone personally that has one). Are they difficult to get? any more you could tell me *starts looking on the net*
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3