|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Dan 4RR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dan 4RR World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Dec 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:29 - 13 Feb 2007 Post subject: Your job |
 |
|
How long did it take you to find your perfect job, or a job that you find sufficient enough to keep you going, paying the bills, spending some on toys. I know there are the old sayings, "your just excisting, not living" and "work to live not live to work", etc. But after leaving college last year I've been having second thoughts and doubts as to wether I choose the right subject, cause back when I started 2-3 years ago I had my heart set on it, but after a few recent events I not so sure now. I mean I've always wanted to do building/mechanical work so I'll hopefully get a job in that area someday, but I might have taken the wrong turning at the moment. But you hear about people who trained for years to become a vet and then decided it wasn't for them, so they became a lawyer, etc.
Coming to think of it, didn't bcf's 'Izzi81'?? leave uni hoping to go into the filming making/media industry, but decided it wasn't for her and is now working at a crime lab/csi type of job?
Did people here go into a job they thought they liked and it's turned out to be perfect or have you changed occupations in the past? ____________________ Humans....the largest form of cancer the world has ever seen!
Speed Cameras - Putting goverment revenue before public safety!
Last edited by Dan 4RR on 00:39 - 13 Feb 2007; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Flip |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Flip Super Spammer

Joined: 28 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dan 4RR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dan 4RR World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Dec 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dave McCool |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dave McCool World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Jun 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:46 - 13 Feb 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudent at the minute, but I'm doing English which should hopefully leave me fairly well set for a fairly wide range of careers.
In my head at the minute, I'm determined to get into motor journalism, hopefully working on a car/bike magazine, but hey, that might change, I'm still quite open to advertising or even teaching.
I'm quite enjoying the fact that currently my options are open.
 ____________________ McGee - "When I go to the mall and see all the high school girls, I have to have DO NOT TOUCH THE GIRLS written on my hand. Every time I go to grope I see it and stop."
K7 GSXR750 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| xlfive |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 xlfive Scooby Slapper

Joined: 26 Nov 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mattjs895 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mattjs895 Spanner Monkey

Joined: 26 Nov 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:16 - 13 Feb 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
i'm a student doing accounting and finance and am currently in my first year,
got to admit, that this career things has crossed my mind.
do i really want to do this for the rest of my working life or is there something better, but then i think about the money and it all seems good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mazz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mazz World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 May 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 01:28 - 13 Feb 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
I was a student, my work now is totally unrelated to anything I studied (which is a good thing) I love my job though, for me it was just something to keep me ticking over and I fell in love with it....you have to try many things that previously you may not have considered to find one you really enjoy  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| m99dws |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 m99dws World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| thx1138 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 thx1138 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tatters |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tatters Exxon Valdez

Joined: 05 Jan 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 03:07 - 13 Feb 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Started mine december 06 as a eletrical engineer, just came of the probation period and am now on full pay which is a massive amount of money for a 20y old, had to suffer 3 years of a apprenticeship to get to my current job though but now l,m fu*king loving it. ____________________ Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| binge |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 binge Emo Kiddy

Joined: 03 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 03:59 - 13 Feb 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
If my job paid more and the company treated us all with more respect. Then it would possibly be the perfect Job.
Tyres
Exhausts
Brakes
Suspension
We even do servicing at kwikfit now. And even Head gaskets.
So its not just a "monkeys Job" anymore really.
And its quite stress free.
Will be going on my MOT Testers course as soon as im old enough. Trained up for free too.
Would like to go to a main dealer for the more engine related work. BUT it means dropping back to apprentice wages again. And now that im a Fully qualified Fitter. My income would more than half if I was to go back to being an apprentice.
Not somthing I can do when Im trying to Run a Flat, A car, A Car Project and a Scooter project.
<|ben|> |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 09:23 - 13 Feb 2007 Post subject: Re: Your job |
 |
|
| Dan 4RR wrote: | Did people here go into a job they thought they liked and it's turned out to be perfect or have you changed occupations in the past? |
heres a clue Crooked spire,
anyway , I've changed careers many times ,
I used to work in graphic design artistry and artwork for games, this industry dried up,
then I drifted a bit and went into accounts
while inbetween and current I am a chef of sorts but on the Locum.
life is just too unpredictable and bosses exploit people who are unwilling to move , bullying does occur in all work places , bosses exploit this and the fact that many have bills to pay , I don't I have a very low rent house share in a crappy area which is actually on the edge of an RLD , small bills to pay , ____________________ Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Annabella |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Annabella Like a person, only smaller

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| techierob |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 techierob Traffic Copper

Joined: 05 Oct 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:31 - 13 Feb 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
I don't believe there is such a thing as a perfect job. I take permanent jobs either when I'm too knackered to work contracts or I need a fixed income to make the paperwork look respectable. I flick between programming and systems to try and fend off the monotony a little, but doing any one job for too long is too boring to even contemplate. Also, bearing in mind that a lot of companies in my particular sector routinely get thinned out, showing too much loyalty to a company is just asking to get shafted.
The state pensions situation means that my retirement plan involves either dying before my 65th birthday or picking up enough skills to keep me quietly self-employed until I'm in advanced stages of senile dementia, by which time I'll have probably donated all my belongings to a cat home and be quite happily drooling and fucking handfuls of my own shit in some public->private pauper's care home somewhere  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| woo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 woo World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Suzuki |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Suzuki Roger

Joined: 03 May 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:53 - 13 Feb 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Another IT bod here.
Like any job it has it's boring moments, but the money isn't to be sniffed at.  ____________________ <Simple> no I'm shaven Jon
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rob |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rob World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Mar 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:01 - 13 Feb 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thankfully I have a job that I quite enjoy, https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1643955/
It's not something I studied to do... in fact in the usual school 'style' I was forced down the 'science' route which for a while I actually believed I would enjoy.. how wrong can you be! That's the problem with studying is that it is very hard to know what you want to do and that is the point in your life you are forced to make a decision about it! That's so crap!
I don't believe that people can really have a career for life anymore, certainly not like it used to be anyway!
Ah well, at least I'm living proof you can study one thing and have a career down the opposite path!! ____________________ Love is 1050cc  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Keen |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Keen World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Apr 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:22 - 13 Feb 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
I graduated last year with a good business degree, basically did it because I thought it would leave alot of options open, I focused on marketing and entrepreneurship and would like to open my own business at some point in the future.
For the time being I'm doing a graduate marketing thing at a software company in France. Its boring. I only took it because my girlfriend was already living and working down here and it was easy (I did an internship at the company as part of of my degree and my boss gave me a good reference so it was easy to get rehired).
I don't fully believe in the 'work to live' idea. I used to but not any more. I need to do something I enjoy. I get bored easy so I need to be stimulated. At the end of the day you spend 5 days out of 7 at work, for most of your life, if you don't enjoy it thats a serious waste of your precious time. I'm so unchallenged and uninterested in my current job, for me its important to feel like I'm doing something worthwhile where I'm learning something.
The annoying this is alot of my friends here at the company are developers, they get paid alot and they love, really love, what they do. Those bastards
My graduate contract runs out in August and I won't be trying to get hired full time. I'm going to try to find a job in the motorcycle industry. I came so close to getting a marketing position at Triumph (I hadn't graduated yet so couldn't start in time! at least I got a factory tour), something like that would be ideal for me, so I'll just keep trying until I get it.
I don't think you can expect your dream job out of uni, that really pissed me off because you can't help thinking what I have I been working for all these years then? but I think the important thing is to keep working towards your dream job. At least then you feel like you're getting somewhere and even if the job you're doing isn't ideal, it is useful as a stepping stone to something better  ____________________ "he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"- Dr. Johnson |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kawashima |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kawashima World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 May 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bishbash |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bishbash World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jan 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| feef |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 feef Energiser Bunny

Joined: 11 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:46 - 13 Feb 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Finally dropped out of uni about 8 or 9 years ago..
Started on this job, which is working out rather well, in january 2005.
other jobs were fun, but this is 'the one'
I turned down a potential 20k payrise for a job in london to stay here.
a ____________________ Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hendo13 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hendo13 Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 18 Nov 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:55 - 13 Feb 2007 Post subject: Your job |
 |
|
iam a money grabbing bastad so i've got 2 jobs.18 years of shifts, making WHISKY mmmm love the job money is brill could be better ! And 15 years of being a retained firefighter money is good and pays ma mortgage means ma main job money is for drink and toys ____________________ https://www.bikepics.com/members/hendo13/
https://www.photoboxgallery.com/1810939 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 19 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|