Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Your job

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:29 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Your job Reply with quote

How long did it take you to find your perfect job, or a job that you find sufficient enough to keep you going, paying the bills, spending some on toys. I know there are the old sayings, "your just excisting, not living" and "work to live not live to work", etc. But after leaving college last year I've been having second thoughts and doubts as to wether I choose the right subject, cause back when I started 2-3 years ago I had my heart set on it, but after a few recent events I not so sure now. I mean I've always wanted to do building/mechanical work so I'll hopefully get a job in that area someday, but I might have taken the wrong turning at the moment. But you hear about people who trained for years to become a vet and then decided it wasn't for them, so they became a lawyer, etc.

Coming to think of it, didn't bcf's 'Izzi81'?? leave uni hoping to go into the filming making/media industry, but decided it wasn't for her and is now working at a crime lab/csi type of job?

Did people here go into a job they thought they liked and it's turned out to be perfect or have you changed occupations in the past?
____________________
Humans....the largest form of cancer the world has ever seen!
Speed Cameras - Putting goverment revenue before public safety!


Last edited by Dan 4RR on 00:39 - 13 Feb 2007; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:34 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done loads of different stuff. Changing jobs ASAP 'cause I'm bored. Although I have jobs and not careers.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:37 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working in IT since 1983. It just sort of happened, and I still don't know what I really want to do.

It does pay the bills quite well though.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:38 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, good point Flip. Should of stated I meant careers that would last you until you retire. Not just temp jobs.
____________________
Humans....the largest form of cancer the world has ever seen!
Speed Cameras - Putting goverment revenue before public safety!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave McCool
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:46 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudent at the minute, but I'm doing English which should hopefully leave me fairly well set for a fairly wide range of careers.

In my head at the minute, I'm determined to get into motor journalism, hopefully working on a car/bike magazine, but hey, that might change, I'm still quite open to advertising or even teaching.

I'm quite enjoying the fact that currently my options are open.

Cool
____________________
McGee - "When I go to the mall and see all the high school girls, I have to have DO NOT TOUCH THE GIRLS written on my hand. Every time I go to grope I see it and stop."
K7 GSXR750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

xlfive
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 26 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:51 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been doing the same job since 1977 never felt the need to change
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:56 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Found a job I quite like. Unfortunatly the job has changed to one I hate.

Izzi couldn't get a job in the industry that her qualifications were in.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mattjs895
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:16 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm a student doing accounting and finance and am currently in my first year,

got to admit, that this career things has crossed my mind.

do i really want to do this for the rest of my working life or is there something better, but then i think about the money and it all seems good Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mazz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:28 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a student, my work now is totally unrelated to anything I studied (which is a good thing) I love my job though, for me it was just something to keep me ticking over and I fell in love with it....you have to try many things that previously you may not have considered to find one you really enjoy Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

m99dws
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:50 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went into IT in 95-96 and never looked back. Haven't found my perfect job yet, although this one pays awesome money!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:02 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

drifted through life, ended up about 7 years ago working in an auction house, worked there briefly, before moving on, and found I had a talent for buying and selling junk, and paid my mortgage off now.

I'd kinda like a decent interesting job, but I doubt anyone will ever hire me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:07 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started mine december 06 as a eletrical engineer, just came of the probation period and am now on full pay which is a massive amount of money for a 20y old, had to suffer 3 years of a apprenticeship to get to my current job though but now l,m fu*king loving it.
____________________
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:59 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my job paid more and the company treated us all with more respect. Then it would possibly be the perfect Job.

Tyres
Exhausts
Brakes
Suspension

We even do servicing at kwikfit now. And even Head gaskets. Thumbs Up
So its not just a "monkeys Job" anymore really.
And its quite stress free.

Will be going on my MOT Testers course as soon as im old enough. Trained up for free too. Thumbs Up


Would like to go to a main dealer for the more engine related work. BUT it means dropping back to apprentice wages again. And now that im a Fully qualified Fitter. My income would more than half if I was to go back to being an apprentice.

Not somthing I can do when Im trying to Run a Flat, A car, A Car Project and a Scooter project. Laughing

<|ben|>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:17 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattjs895 wrote:
i'm a student doing accounting and finance and am currently in my first year,

got to admit, that this career things has crossed my mind.

do i really want to do this for the rest of my working life or is there something better, but then i think about the money and it all seems good Laughing


the wages aren't as good as you think , only the best get any decent pay , I'm experienced 2.5 years ACCA qualified and I'm being paid very poorly ,

Indian outsourcing strikes again , there are 4 office juniors who spend all day scanning documents to be sent to india.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:23 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Re: Your job Reply with quote

Dan 4RR wrote:
Did people here go into a job they thought they liked and it's turned out to be perfect or have you changed occupations in the past?


heres a clue Crooked spire,

anyway , I've changed careers many times ,


I used to work in graphic design artistry and artwork for games, this industry dried up,

then I drifted a bit and went into accounts

while inbetween and current I am a chef of sorts but on the Locum.


life is just too unpredictable and bosses exploit people who are unwilling to move , bullying does occur in all work places , bosses exploit this and the fact that many have bills to pay , I don't I have a very low rent house share in a crappy area which is actually on the edge of an RLD , small bills to pay ,
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:29 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Izzi couldn't get a job in the industry that her qualifications were in.


Likewise, so I have fallen into Performance Management/Project Management by accident. Who knows if it's what I want, I've never had any glowing aspirations to become anything (other than a lollipop lady when I was 4 years old). I just want to be able to be happy enough at work, which I am - it's 10.30 and I've done nothing of any real substance yet, just caught up with a few people that I get on well with; and earn enough to enjoy my life.

I don't ever want to live to work, always work to live. Thumbs Up
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

techierob
Traffic Copper



Joined: 05 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:31 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe there is such a thing as a perfect job. I take permanent jobs either when I'm too knackered to work contracts or I need a fixed income to make the paperwork look respectable. I flick between programming and systems to try and fend off the monotony a little, but doing any one job for too long is too boring to even contemplate. Also, bearing in mind that a lot of companies in my particular sector routinely get thinned out, showing too much loyalty to a company is just asking to get shafted.

The state pensions situation means that my retirement plan involves either dying before my 65th birthday or picking up enough skills to keep me quietly self-employed until I'm in advanced stages of senile dementia, by which time I'll have probably donated all my belongings to a cat home and be quite happily drooling and fucking handfuls of my own shit in some public->private pauper's care home somewhere Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

woo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished my Accounting & Finance Degree at Greenwich Uni last year and am currently doing temp jobs, current one is a contract till end of June with a possible permante position which i have decided if its offered to me i wont take it, crystal palace to red hill is a trek for me.

Have decided this aint what i want to and i wanna become a bike/car mechanic but not to sure if they pay well and if its too late to start making changes again cos im 26yrs now and to be a mechanic with all the necessary qualifications id have to study probably at Croydon College.

So am well confused at the moment!

Help & advice appreciated!
____________________
Elen sila lummen omentielvo!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:53 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another IT bod here.

Like any job it has it's boring moments, but the money isn't to be sniffed at. Smile
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:01 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully I have a job that I quite enjoy, https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1643955/

It's not something I studied to do... in fact in the usual school 'style' I was forced down the 'science' route which for a while I actually believed I would enjoy.. how wrong can you be! That's the problem with studying is that it is very hard to know what you want to do and that is the point in your life you are forced to make a decision about it! That's so crap!

I don't believe that people can really have a career for life anymore, certainly not like it used to be anyway!

Ah well, at least I'm living proof you can study one thing and have a career down the opposite path!!
____________________
Love is 1050cc Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Apr 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I graduated last year with a good business degree, basically did it because I thought it would leave alot of options open, I focused on marketing and entrepreneurship and would like to open my own business at some point in the future.
For the time being I'm doing a graduate marketing thing at a software company in France. Its boring. I only took it because my girlfriend was already living and working down here and it was easy (I did an internship at the company as part of of my degree and my boss gave me a good reference so it was easy to get rehired).

I don't fully believe in the 'work to live' idea. I used to but not any more. I need to do something I enjoy. I get bored easy so I need to be stimulated. At the end of the day you spend 5 days out of 7 at work, for most of your life, if you don't enjoy it thats a serious waste of your precious time. I'm so unchallenged and uninterested in my current job, for me its important to feel like I'm doing something worthwhile where I'm learning something.
The annoying this is alot of my friends here at the company are developers, they get paid alot and they love, really love, what they do. Those bastards Smile
My graduate contract runs out in August and I won't be trying to get hired full time. I'm going to try to find a job in the motorcycle industry. I came so close to getting a marketing position at Triumph (I hadn't graduated yet so couldn't start in time! at least I got a factory tour), something like that would be ideal for me, so I'll just keep trying until I get it.
I don't think you can expect your dream job out of uni, that really pissed me off because you can't help thinking what I have I been working for all these years then? but I think the important thing is to keep working towards your dream job. At least then you feel like you're getting somewhere and even if the job you're doing isn't ideal, it is useful as a stepping stone to something better Thumbs Up
____________________
"he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"- Dr. Johnson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:29 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was transferred to several areas every 5 years in the same company. It's common style. It makes it difficult to buy a estate.
I've done production control, facilities, and planning(each 5 years at each site). Next transfer timing is approaching me I suppose.
I was lucky I wasn't in accounting dept., cause they move every 3 years and to site of every type of products. They have "skill" though...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bishbash
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:35 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another IT person here. I am more to do with the law side of the software, mainly the licensing but I draw up the contracts as well. I studied IT and IT laws for years and now found the perfect job (I think) Money is amazing and any students on the forum will/should know our product (SPSS Inc).

My company regularly send me to Chicago as that is where our HQ is and I get to work in Sears Tower for a while. A great perk to my job.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:46 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally dropped out of uni about 8 or 9 years ago..

Started on this job, which is working out rather well, in january 2005.

other jobs were fun, but this is 'the one'

I turned down a potential 20k payrise for a job in london to stay here.

a
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hendo13
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 18 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 13 Feb 2007    Post subject: Your job Reply with quote

iam a money grabbing bastad so i've got 2 jobs.18 years of shifts, making WHISKY mmmm love the job money is brill could be better ! And 15 years of being a retained firefighter money is good and pays ma mortgage means ma main job money is for drink and toys
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/hendo13/
https://www.photoboxgallery.com/1810939
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 238 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.48 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.61 Kb