Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Braided Brake Lines

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:14 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Braided Brake Lines Reply with quote

Right, the misses has very kindly said she'll buy me some new hoses for valentines day (so much fucking better then teddy bears Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy).

Anyway ive got my eye on these as its about bang on price range. Here

Things that i'd like to know;
a) Are they good quality... does quality matter for general road use?
b) Will it affect braking/my hassle free life that they want me to plumb in two seperate lines from the master cylinder straight to each caliper... rather then having one line from master cylinger splitting off at wheel level to go to each caliper?

Anyone had good/bad experience with these guys?
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get those as they have zinc banjos which will rust away. I'm surprised that they can sell them like this. Make sure the fittings are stainless steel as well.

I got some HELs from ebay for a good price.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pte1643
Nearly there...



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:27 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Re: Braided Brake Lines Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:

a) Are they good quality... does quality matter for general road use?
b) Will it affect braking/my hassle free life that they want me to plumb in two seperate lines from the master cylinder straight to each caliper... rather then having one line from master cylinger splitting off at wheel level to go to each caliper?

Anyone had good/bad experience with these guys?


Goodridge are generally good quality, but as Joe said SS banjo's would be better.
Nice Anodised Alloy ones look even better, but I think Thinking these are illegal for road use.

Plumbing in two serarate lines isn't a problem.

Seller has over 5000 "100%" feedback, so must be doing something right.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:35 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got HEL ones and they are excellent, even if the rest of my brakes arent, esp. atm.

As pte said, 2 lines is what ive got and it works great, but as Joe said, get stainless fittings if you can, mine still look brand new.

Zen Dog

P.S. Top girlfriend getting you hoses!
____________________
Current - '94 VFR750FR (Dead), '00 VFR800FI, '11 600 Hornet - Previous - '11 CBF125, '10 Street Triple R, '92 MZ ETZ301, '05 TTR250, NSR125R, KMX125, "Honda" Win
My bike trip around S.E. Asia 2010/2011
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:38 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had any finish issues with the same Zinc items fitted to my RVF, but then again, it rarely saw rain.

The stainless Hel lines I fitted to my Blade were of no apparent quality improvement over the zinc items I had previously fitted.

Seperate lines running to each caliper, directly from the master cylinder is generally an improved setup - each caliper gets a direct line of oil. No more/less hassle but I haven't tried a split braided line setup.

No problems what so ever with the seller (he's still running his business very well by the looks of it, 2 years since I used his service).

Quote:
Nice Anodised Alloy ones look even better


I hope you're joking.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pte1643
Nearly there...



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:48 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
Quote:
Nice Anodised Alloy ones look even better


I hope you're joking.


In what way?... Look, Colour, Strength?

I was thinking of nice shiny black or gold fittings, something along them lines.

Also...

VOSA says they are "Not Recommended for Road Use". Doesn't actually say they are illegal. I think it's actually strength issues as to why they are not allowed.

https://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/Special%20Notice%2002-99.pdf
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

owdamer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:12 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had alloy fittings on my yzf750 about 10 years ago. This is what happens to them. I was braking for a turning one day and the lever came back to the bars and I over shot. When I examined my brakes the fittings had split and the fluid was leaking out badly, especially when you pulled the lever.

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/owdamer/Brakes/brokenbrake.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pte1643
Nearly there...



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:28 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:
I had alloy fittings on my yzf750 about 10 years ago.

When I examined my brakes the fittings had split


That's what I thought.

That's why they're recommended for Track use only.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:41 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reuseable fittings really are utterly shit Thumbs Down
(not a problem if they are used as intend for track, where they'd be replaced quite reguarly unlike a roadbike)

Got mine made by these https://www.earls.co.uk/ via https://www.pirtek.co.uk/ these guys (the one i went to was in derby and they were great)
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:50 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of this reflects on zinc-plated fittings though, which may be fine. Only anodised.

Zen Dog
____________________
Current - '94 VFR750FR (Dead), '00 VFR800FI, '11 600 Hornet - Previous - '11 CBF125, '10 Street Triple R, '92 MZ ETZ301, '05 TTR250, NSR125R, KMX125, "Honda" Win
My bike trip around S.E. Asia 2010/2011
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:00 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Anodised fittings corrode, from the inside out where the braiding has taken the protective anodising off when they are assembled. They are not illegal for road use, just not a great idea.

M1kes brakes

https://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/TempPicture/mikesBrakes.jpg

Nighteyes brakes

https://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/TempPicture/HelensBrakes.jpg

The plated ones will be fine, just might look a bit tatty after a few years.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie



Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:16 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was to MOT a bike with the anodised fitting I would fail it - and I know I'm nowhere near the only tester that would do so.

Spend the extra couple of quid and get full stainless, also make sure that you get the plastic coating too, even if it is clear. If you don't then the lines can chafe and eventually do this:

https://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/TempPicture/colsbrake.jpg
____________________
BCF: Be yourself, just don't be an arse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wooly R6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:19 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would recommend HEL lines too - have some on my R6 - pretty easy to do (well, had my dad help) and they are quality!!!
____________________
R6 has been sold - 2004 Honda VFR VTEC now sold too - no bike at the moment
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... So whats the crack with Zinc ones then?

These all so far just reflect poorly on anodised tat, which everyone knows is well... tat.

I've emailed a couple more sellers, i may yet go for a rear caliper/ss braided line/master + front ss braided lines set off ebay for £65.

Just im only really after the 3 hoses, so im pretty sure i could get them for cheaper then that.

But then again delivered, plus a spare caliper (thus saving me having to unsieze the pad release screw Thinking) for roughly the same price.

But then again, no garantee and second hand.... hmmm
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 14 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Functionally nothing wrong with the zinc plated ones. Will work just as well. They will likely get some surface rust after a few years, but not likely to affect their performance for a hell of a long time.

You can also get ones with chrome plated fittings.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wooly R6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:12 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/03-06-HONDA-CBR600RR-CBR600-HEL-3-LINE-BRAKE-KIT_W0QQitemZ290078602721QQihZ019QQcategoryZ25623QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

here ya go
____________________
R6 has been sold - 2004 Honda VFR VTEC now sold too - no bike at the moment
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:23 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a materials engineering student, if it hasn't been explained before, i'll try to outline why it's bad to use different materials at a boundary. Using different metals at a boundary, namely between the banjo and the bleed nipple will provide an potential difference between the two materials; i.e. materials of differing electron negativity will conduct, essentially what you have is a cell. What with the rain and salt providing a solution for ionic conduction to occur, it will only be a matter of time until the rupture.

AFAIK, aluminium alloys and steel have a substantially large potential difference as the aluminium and steel provide a cathodic and anodic reaction site and ideally should not be used in combination for applications that demand long service life. Pitting and crack propagation on the surface of the alloy will occur.

So, ideally, if it's stainless steel with stainless steel, it'll be fine. Sorry if i bored you, but thought it would be something to show the theory. No i am not a nerd or a dweeb - just dead bored!
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

St0rmer66
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:18 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titz wrote:
No i am not a nerd or a dweeb - just dead bored!

C'mo, you have to admit... you are a bit Razz . But I fully understood and knew everything you said so I guess I'm just as guilty Laughing .

In regards to the braided hoses... would they help the crappy brakes on my bike?
____________________
:: Honda XR 125 L ('53) => Kawasaki GPZ 500S ('02) => Suzuki SV650S ('00) => Aprilia RSV-R ('51) ::
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:46 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

St0rmer66 wrote:
Titz wrote:
No i am not a nerd or a dweeb - just dead bored!

C'mo, you have to admit... you are a bit Razz . But I fully understood and knew everything you said so I guess I'm just as guilty Laughing .

In regards to the braided hoses... would they help the crappy brakes on my bike?


Depends whether the current rubber lines are really old. If they aren't, giving your calipers a service will probably make more of a difference.

Zen Dog
____________________
Current - '94 VFR750FR (Dead), '00 VFR800FI, '11 600 Hornet - Previous - '11 CBF125, '10 Street Triple R, '92 MZ ETZ301, '05 TTR250, NSR125R, KMX125, "Honda" Win
My bike trip around S.E. Asia 2010/2011
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SoulRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:10 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually ordered those lines in stainless steel from the same bloke on ebay. Very good lines and you get good service from the bloke (wezmoto) as well.

HTH

Thumbs Up
____________________
My Bike Pics
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:11 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, you would get better feel and feedback from using the rubber hoses when i asked my mechanic. After all, rubber ones usually last for a good 5 years or so. When would most of us keep sportsbikes for longer than a year or 2 before we'd change bikes?
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:23 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Re: Braided Brake Lines Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
Anyone had good/bad experience with these guys?


I have used these guys and will do again. Hassle free, quick delivery. Thumbs Up

I also agree that stainless steel fittings will be better, although a little dearer.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Glen
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:50 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local garage put me some lovely Goodridge stainless braided hoses on the ZX6r for £80 all in which I though was quite good a price Thumbs Up Well worth the investment imo Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:21 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a winner

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120087045619&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=002

52 quid all in for a full kit, and ill fit them myself when i go back.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 15 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look identical to the ones I bought, good kit.

Zen Dog
____________________
Current - '94 VFR750FR (Dead), '00 VFR800FI, '11 600 Hornet - Previous - '11 CBF125, '10 Street Triple R, '92 MZ ETZ301, '05 TTR250, NSR125R, KMX125, "Honda" Win
My bike trip around S.E. Asia 2010/2011
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 138.07 Kb