|
|
| Author |
Message |
| yankeedoodle |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yankeedoodle Nearly there...

Joined: 11 Mar 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:01 - 22 Jun 2007 Post subject: tall bike for a tall guy |
 |
|
I'm 6"3 and I'm looking for bikes for when I pass my test. I've been looking at the SV and the bandit 600 and they're very definite possibilities, but I thought I'd research other possibilities too.
Criteria:
reasonably sized obviously
capable of taking a pillion (and reasonably comfy)
suitable for a restricted license (33bhp)
Thanks  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carlmalibu |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlmalibu Spanner Monkey
Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:13 - 22 Jun 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
well I'm 6'4 and fairly comfortable on a CB500. Takes restriction well, cheap, bulletproof, not too slow, pillions of varying shapes and sizes (from about 5' to 6'2) have never made any complaints, oh, and unlike any suzuki bike it doesn't rot if you use it everyday.
maybe take a look at reasonable sized trailies (transalp 600/650 spring to mind), if you have the cash/don't mind the image take a look at BMW F650GS/dakar, they're very comfy but expensive.
Hornets may also be a good choice to look at. ____________________ Shine on, you crazy diamond
CB500, woop. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Hairy Ben |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Hairy Ben Scooby Slapper

Joined: 27 Apr 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yankeedoodle |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yankeedoodle Nearly there...

Joined: 11 Mar 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:17 - 22 Jun 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
| carlmalibu wrote: | well I'm 6'4 and fairly comfortable on a CB500. Takes restriction well, cheap, bulletproof, not too slow, pillions of varying shapes and sizes (from about 5' to 6'2) have never made any complaints, oh, and unlike any suzuki bike it doesn't rot if you use it everyday.
maybe take a look at reasonable sized trailies (transalp 600/650 spring to mind), if you have the cash/don't mind the image take a look at BMW F650GS/dakar, they're very comfy but expensive.
Hornets may also be a good choice to look at. |
I've looked at the CB, but preferred the GS500 and the ER500. Is there much diffrence between these 3 500s? The regular pillion I would be taking is 5"3. Sadly I don't have the money for a BMW, although they're styling is quite interesting.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carlmalibu |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlmalibu Spanner Monkey
Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:22 - 22 Jun 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
GS-500s suffer from the finish of suzukis, but on the flipside they're cheap and there are plenty of them. I think the engines are ancient designs, as well. Generally budget bikes in every respect, and not nippy
ER-5s I don't know much about but from what I hear the brakes aren't too good, and again they're fairly slow
I saw the CB-500 as a trade off between a GPZ-500 (lovely, sporty, too small for me) and an ER-5 (slow and wobbly)
Brembo brakes, honda reliability, I've done 4000 miles in 4 months and generally love every minute. Bought new shocks but not fitted them yet, when I do I bet I'll have a big grin on my face though.
The only real downside I see to the CB is the shocking colour schemes available!! ____________________ Shine on, you crazy diamond
CB500, woop. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yankeedoodle |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yankeedoodle Nearly there...

Joined: 11 Mar 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carlmalibu |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlmalibu Spanner Monkey
Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yankeedoodle |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yankeedoodle Nearly there...

Joined: 11 Mar 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:34 - 22 Jun 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
yeah theres a local dealer with a GS and an SV. Although I do realise that the GS is a budget bike so I'll try and avoid it. If im honest, I dont expect alot from a bike. I'm currently on a yamaha SR125 so anything taller and faster would please me. In a dream world, I'd have an SV but I'm keeping my options open just incase. I've looked at off roaders such as the XR 250 and 400 but they wouldnt be much fun for the pillion. And I just prefer road bikes all round. Yeah I did briefly looks at 400s but dismissed them quite quickly after I realised the Bandit 400 had a seat height of something like 720mm (10 cm lower than the 600)
Any suggestions appreciated  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Hairy Ben |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Hairy Ben Scooby Slapper

Joined: 27 Apr 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carlmalibu |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlmalibu Spanner Monkey
Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yankeedoodle |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yankeedoodle Nearly there...

Joined: 11 Mar 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carlmalibu |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlmalibu Spanner Monkey
Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yankeedoodle |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yankeedoodle Nearly there...

Joined: 11 Mar 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:01 - 22 Jun 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
cool, its just the seat height is a lower than the bandits and SVs and I feel like I need all the height I can get. If I find one I'll have a sit. Yeah I would need it 365 days a week for travelling to college. So it needs to be reliable but as low maintenance as possible (cos im lazy ) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hmmmnz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hmmmnz Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yankeedoodle |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yankeedoodle Nearly there...

Joined: 11 Mar 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:14 - 22 Jun 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
just looking at those pegasos. the 2007 model is bloody nice. Not as nice around 2000 though. But yeah flippin tall bikes. Cheers Any other bikes similar to that? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:22 - 22 Jun 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
CBR 600 94-98 (possibly later but defo them years)
Im 6'4, 15-16 stone and i abuse mine merrily. Long distance hasnt bothered me and its quite a sit up sportsbike.
Pillions have loved it.
You can get mint CBR's about 98 for 12-1300 off ebay happily.
do it, it makes sense. ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yankeedoodle |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yankeedoodle Nearly there...

Joined: 11 Mar 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yankeedoodle |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yankeedoodle Nearly there...

Joined: 11 Mar 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:29 - 22 Jun 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
cool, its just the seat height is a lower than the bandits and SVs and I feel like I need all the height I can get. If I find one I'll have a sit. Yeah I would need it 365 days a week for travelling to college. So it needs to be reliable but as low maintenance as possible (cos im lazy ) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:15 - 23 Jun 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Handled restriction pretty happily actually. Much better then my goose was standard anyway.
Cbr parts are cheap, they crash well, they are pretty damn fast but happily go slowly if needed.
In hindsight i wish id gone straight for a cbr rather then got a goose.
Have a look on fleabay for an idea of the price.
None too shabby wheelies either once you get the hang of it (check my sig for a link, and they were the first few... now ive perfected it )
And insurance was only about 700 tpft and that was with a ban at 18. You sound older so you should be fine.
My insurance now at 20 is only 270.
They have a reputation as an old mans bike. But ive upset more then enough big bike owners. And they are pretty much unflappable. They slap the bars and slide as normal, but they always come out of it happily. ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JakeyR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JakeyR World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Nov 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JakeyR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JakeyR World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Nov 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Giffer2 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Giffer2 Scooby Slapper

Joined: 13 Feb 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 19 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|