Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


tall bike for a tall guy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

yankeedoodle
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:01 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: tall bike for a tall guy Reply with quote

I'm 6"3 and I'm looking for bikes for when I pass my test. I've been looking at the SV and the bandit 600 and they're very definite possibilities, but I thought I'd research other possibilities too.

Criteria:

reasonably sized obviously
capable of taking a pillion (and reasonably comfy)
suitable for a restricted license (33bhp)

Thanks Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carlmalibu
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:13 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I'm 6'4 and fairly comfortable on a CB500. Takes restriction well, cheap, bulletproof, not too slow, pillions of varying shapes and sizes (from about 5' to 6'2) have never made any complaints, oh, and unlike any suzuki bike it doesn't rot if you use it everyday.

maybe take a look at reasonable sized trailies (transalp 600/650 spring to mind), if you have the cash/don't mind the image take a look at BMW F650GS/dakar, they're very comfy but expensive.

Hornets may also be a good choice to look at.
____________________
Shine on, you crazy diamond
CB500, woop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hairy Ben
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 27 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki DR650 Vstrom.

SV650 motor in a nice big trailbike package. Smile


https://www.motorcycleconnect.com/Suzuki/2007/Standard/V_Strom_650/V_Strom_650_1.jpg
____________________
...and thus true enlightenment is achieved.

I think, therefore I am... I ride a BMW, therefore I smell of wee...


Last edited by Hairy Ben on 20:18 - 22 Jun 2007; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yankeedoodle
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:17 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlmalibu wrote:
well I'm 6'4 and fairly comfortable on a CB500. Takes restriction well, cheap, bulletproof, not too slow, pillions of varying shapes and sizes (from about 5' to 6'2) have never made any complaints, oh, and unlike any suzuki bike it doesn't rot if you use it everyday.

maybe take a look at reasonable sized trailies (transalp 600/650 spring to mind), if you have the cash/don't mind the image take a look at BMW F650GS/dakar, they're very comfy but expensive.

Hornets may also be a good choice to look at.


I've looked at the CB, but preferred the GS500 and the ER500. Is there much diffrence between these 3 500s? The regular pillion I would be taking is 5"3. Sadly I don't have the money for a BMW, although they're styling is quite interesting. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carlmalibu
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:22 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

GS-500s suffer from the finish of suzukis, but on the flipside they're cheap and there are plenty of them. I think the engines are ancient designs, as well. Generally budget bikes in every respect, and not nippy

ER-5s I don't know much about but from what I hear the brakes aren't too good, and again they're fairly slow

I saw the CB-500 as a trade off between a GPZ-500 (lovely, sporty, too small for me) and an ER-5 (slow and wobbly)

Brembo brakes, honda reliability, I've done 4000 miles in 4 months and generally love every minute. Bought new shocks but not fitted them yet, when I do I bet I'll have a big grin on my face though.

The only real downside I see to the CB is the shocking colour schemes available!!
____________________
Shine on, you crazy diamond
CB500, woop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yankeedoodle
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Carl I'll keep that in mind.

I have looked at the V strom although its a newish bike and out of my price range. Also, hornets are a bit steep for insurance
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carlmalibu
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:28 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just tryin to think of things that would help you.you need to decide what you want out of the bike, because I'm sure you'd fit on one of most sizes without too much trouble.

The only ones you'll have really is with the sports 400s. You wil have NO CHANCE.

Don't listen to other people, go to a dealer and pretend to be really interested in buying a bike, and ask to sit on a few to get a feel of them.

Job done.
____________________
Shine on, you crazy diamond
CB500, woop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yankeedoodle
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:34 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah theres a local dealer with a GS and an SV. Although I do realise that the GS is a budget bike so I'll try and avoid it. If im honest, I dont expect alot from a bike. I'm currently on a yamaha SR125 so anything taller and faster would please me. In a dream world, I'd have an SV but I'm keeping my options open just incase. I've looked at off roaders such as the XR 250 and 400 but they wouldnt be much fun for the pillion. And I just prefer road bikes all round. Yeah I did briefly looks at 400s but dismissed them quite quickly after I realised the Bandit 400 had a seat height of something like 720mm (10 cm lower than the 600)

Any suggestions appreciated Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hairy Ben
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 27 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankeedoodle wrote:


I have looked at the V strom although its a newish bike and out of my price range. Also, hornets are a bit steep for insurance


Ahh right.

I'd go with the Bandit then.

They're a good multipurpose bike, and I had no problems using one at 6' 2". If I'm not mistaken it's physically a little bigger than the parallel twins mention elsewhere, and as a 4 cyl it'll be more of a bike when you finally get to derestrict it.

Get a half faired one for extra comfort. Smile
____________________
...and thus true enlightenment is achieved.

I think, therefore I am... I ride a BMW, therefore I smell of wee...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carlmalibu
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, I bummed SV-650s before I realised that my budget (1k-1.5k) would only get me a curvy SV (carbed, not too successfully), that was in fairly bad nick. And I needed it every day. i urge you to check out CB-500s :P
____________________
Shine on, you crazy diamond
CB500, woop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yankeedoodle
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I also bum SVs although I havent ridden one
my budget is £1000 - £1500 max and I've decided that for that I can get a 99 curvy in decent condition. I'll look out for the CB500s. Can you get longer shocks for it to raise the seat height? ( I assume it isnt a monoshock)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carlmalibu
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:58 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm I've not needed to mate and like I said I'm 6'4. It is twin shocks. You havent really specified if you are gonna need it 365 days as well
____________________
Shine on, you crazy diamond
CB500, woop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yankeedoodle
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:01 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, its just the seat height is a lower than the bandits and SVs and I feel like I need all the height I can get. If I find one I'll have a sit. Yeah I would need it 365 days a week for travelling to college. So it needs to be reliable but as low maintenance as possible (cos im lazy Laughing )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:04 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

apprillia pegasos can be had for around a grand Very Happy
nice and high, proven rotax or yamaha engines.
____________________
the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yankeedoodle
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:14 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

just looking at those pegasos. the 2007 model is bloody nice. Not as nice around 2000 though. But yeah flippin tall bikes. Cheers Thumbs Up Any other bikes similar to that?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:22 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR 600 94-98 (possibly later but defo them years)

Im 6'4, 15-16 stone and i abuse mine merrily. Long distance hasnt bothered me and its quite a sit up sportsbike.

Pillions have loved it.

You can get mint CBR's about 98 for 12-1300 off ebay happily.

do it, it makes sense.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yankeedoodle
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:24 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

blimey, didnt realise the CBRs were that cheap. Is this a wise idea? and how do they handle restricton? Nad I'm guessing insurance is gonna be a fair bit more..?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yankeedoodle
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:29 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, its just the seat height is a lower than the bandits and SVs and I feel like I need all the height I can get. If I find one I'll have a sit. Yeah I would need it 365 days a week for travelling to college. So it needs to be reliable but as low maintenance as possible (cos im lazy Laughing )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:15 - 23 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handled restriction pretty happily actually. Much better then my goose was standard anyway.

Cbr parts are cheap, they crash well, they are pretty damn fast but happily go slowly if needed.

In hindsight i wish id gone straight for a cbr rather then got a goose.

Have a look on fleabay for an idea of the price.

None too shabby wheelies either once you get the hang of it (check my sig for a link, and they were the first few... now ive perfected it Twisted Evil)

And insurance was only about 700 tpft and that was with a ban at 18. You sound older so you should be fine.
My insurance now at 20 is only 270.

They have a reputation as an old mans bike. But ive upset more then enough big bike owners. And they are pretty much unflappable. They slap the bars and slide as normal, but they always come out of it happily.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JakeyR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:26 - 23 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
CBR 600 94-98 (possibly later but defo them years)

Im 6'4, 15-16 stone and i abuse mine merrily. Long distance hasnt bothered me and its quite a sit up sportsbike.

Pillions have loved it.

You can get mint CBR's about 98 for 12-1300 off ebay happily.

do it, it makes sense.


You sir have just made my day. I'm 6ft 4 and 14/15 stone and was after a 97/98 CBR600F, but didn't know weather i'd fit it or not, but now i'm happy i will. Nice one. Very Happy Thumbs Up
____________________
Banned till April 2011.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:14 - 23 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeSM50 wrote:


You sir have just made my day. I'm 6ft 4 and 14/15 stone and was after a 97/98 CBR600F, but didn't know weather i'd fit it or not, but now i'm happy i will. Nice one. Very Happy Thumbs Up


Still give it a go like. But i used to wrap myself around a goose 350 so i'll stubbornly put up with anything.

But ill generally ride mine sat upright anyway, and my knees arent too bent. And i can tuck in when needed.

(i do make it look slightly small in piccies though)
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JakeyR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:41 - 23 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:


Still give it a go like. But i used to wrap myself around a goose 350 so i'll stubbornly put up with anything.

But ill generally ride mine sat upright anyway, and my knees arent too bent. And i can tuck in when needed.

(i do make it look slightly small in piccies though)


If you think you make your bike look small you should see me on my 50. Laughing
____________________
Banned till April 2011.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:05 - 23 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeSM50 wrote:

If you think you make your bike look small you should see me on my 50. Laughing


I had a gpr Wink
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Giffer2
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:17 - 23 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'5" and 16 stone and find that my restricted SV does everything I need it to.
____________________
Mar 2007 - Varadero XL125v7, May 2007 - SV650S
17/05/07 - A2 Test Passed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.43 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 127.25 Kb