Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


New rider's log - More half-wit and wisdom

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Ravo
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:20 - 24 Jun 2007    Post subject: New rider's log - More half-wit and wisdom Reply with quote

This is a new collection of things I'll jot down as I gain experience riding.

Clutchless shifting:
Today I learned how to shift without a clutch. I get up to speed / rpm, then upshift while letting off the gas. Doing both simultaneously let's me upshift smoothly without the clutch. If I get the timing or the rpm wrong, the bike refuses to shift. Neutral can get in the way of shifting into second without the clutch, and I'm going slow anyway so I just use the clutch going from first to second. If I fail to shift on the first try, I just shift with the clutch instead. After learning by using the clutch, it's not really a natural motion to shift without the clutch.

Awareness:
The other day my dad got his CL350 out on the road. I followed him to be safe. Sure enough, a mile out the bike sputters and dies. Having not been ridden for 16 years, the bike hadn't had had a tank of gas put in it for 16 years. I had to pull him home with a quad. The moral of this story? Know when your bike needs gas, or any other mechanical fluid. Running out of gas is bad. Running out of brake fluid or oil is worse.

Keeping track of gas:
Most bikes don't come with fuel guages to tell you how much gas is in the tank. Instead I just reset the trip meter with each tank of gas. I know after roughly 120 miles on my bike my dash lights up saying the bike needs fuel. Using that, I can just look at the trip meter to tell how many miles the tank has left.

Wide turns:
If I take a turn too wide, I go with it. So what if I end up over the white lines on the side of the road? I'm much more likely to lay the bike down correcting a wide turn than I am flirting with the shoulder. I find this happens a lot when I stop at an intersection covered in gravel. I'll wait until I'm over the gravel and then do most of the turning. It doesn't leave me a lot of room to finish the turn. That's where practicing those tight u-turns and figure 8s comes in handy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nicky-Jano
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:06 - 24 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Keeping track of gas:
Most bikes don't come with fuel guages to tell you how much gas is in the tank. Instead I just reset the trip meter with each tank of gas. I know after roughly 120 miles on my bike my dash lights up saying the bike needs fuel. Using that, I can just look at the trip meter to tell how many miles the tank has left.

Wide turns:
If I take a turn too wide, I go with it. So what if I end up over the white lines on the side of the road? I'm much more likely to lay the bike down correcting a wide turn than I am flirting with the shoulder. I find this happens a lot when I stop at an intersection covered in gravel. I'll wait until I'm over the gravel and then do most of the turning. It doesn't leave me a lot of room to finish the turn. That's where practicing those tight u-turns and figure 8s comes in handy.



I think you'll find most modern bikes actually do have fuel gauges.
Even my bf YBR has one!
About the going onto the other side of the road, not a good idea.
Laying your bike flat is better than going into oncoming traffic, at least in my opinion anyway.
To stop yourself cornering wide you should slow down before the corner, the more experienced you get the faster and tighter you can corner.
I used to piddle around corners at about 15mph but now I can get around them alot faster, I lean the bike and myself rather than try turning it.
Oh and going out on a bike that hasn't been used in 16 years?! Shocked .

What's with the clutchless shifting?
Seems easier to use the clutch than bugger about with revs and timing Neutral .
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ravo
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 24 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the US. Taking a turn too wide risks putting me and the bike off the side of the road, not into incoming traffic. That'd be a left turn for me, and a right turn for you UK riders. I can't speak for UK roads, but the way US roads are set up, I can practically finish a right turn before reaching the stop sign.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:31 - 24 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky-Jano wrote:

I think you'll find most modern bikes actually do have fuel gauges.
Even my bf YBR has one!


Meh not all bikes do, I'm sure there are quite a few modern bikes that don't. I hated the one I had on my moped, it had no concept of how much fuel I actually had.. And if I turned right the amount of fuel went up.

Nicky-Jano wrote:
What's with the clutchless shifting?
Seems easier to use the clutch than bugger about with revs and timing Neutral .


You ride a cg125 right? If its anything like the sr125 I rode, clutch less shifts don't seem to work to well. I found that it didn't help the bike to gain much speed, and I was better off slipping the clutch a little bit.

On a faster paced bike you do notice the loss in power of pulling in the clutch. If you are out and about riding quickly it makes things easier to just let off the throttle and kick, it becomes second nature very quickly.

Sometimes I've found that I've made things awkward for myself, trying to co-ordinate grabbing the clutch, shutting the throttle, changing gear, and going again. Especially if I'm turning at the same time or overtaking.

Also thats another point you don't need to shut the throttle, so you lose even less time off the power.
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ilovensr
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 13 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 24 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

clutch less shifting down is very easy to do although for some reason i think im hurting my bike when i do it. if you just kick the gear lever down at any speeds and any revs then your going down a gear, useful when you need to change down quickly but it just seems bad for the bike for some reason cant explain why
____________________
Current Bikes:
Honda NSR125 >>> Garaged
Kawasaki ER5 >>> Excellent commuter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 24 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilovensr wrote:
clutch less shifting down is very easy to do although for some reason i think im hurting my bike when i do it. if you just kick the gear lever down at any speeds and any revs then your going down a gear, useful when you need to change down quickly but it just seems bad for the bike for some reason cant explain why


I don't like shifting down clutchlessly, mostly cause the engine suddenly needs to rev up to match the new engine speed, you can lock up your rear doing this, also I think it might do some damage to the engine :/

I only clutchless going up, I use the clutch when I'm going down the gear box.
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spooney
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 22 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:29 - 24 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncrn wrote:
ilovensr wrote:
clutch less shifting down is very easy to do although for some reason i think im hurting my bike when i do it. if you just kick the gear lever down at any speeds and any revs then your going down a gear, useful when you need to change down quickly but it just seems bad for the bike for some reason cant explain why


I don't like shifting down clutchlessly, mostly cause the engine suddenly needs to rev up to match the new engine speed, you can lock up your rear doing this, also I think it might do some damage to the engine :/

I only clutchless going up, I use the clutch when I'm going down the gear box.


apply slight pressure to the gear selector give the throttle a quick blip, same pricipal as up shifting match the revs to the engine speed of the gear your going for (i think that last bit makes sense someone will sort it out if it doesn't but the practice is sound)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 107 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.6 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 59.42 Kb