Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Sore and numb Trap & Tight hamstrings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

sebzzz
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:13 - 28 Jun 2007    Post subject: Sore and numb Trap & Tight hamstrings Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm 20 years old, 145 Lbs, 6 foot tall.

I'll try to make this short and sweet:

I started doing a lot of running, than swimming than cycling just a few months ago.

Now, I always had tight hamstrings, but it seems to get worst and worst the more I do sports. I stretch them often, but maybe not at the right time or the right technique. Is it a bad thing to stretch them when my muscles are cold? There so tight my leg on the pedal when I drive my car gets numb after 30-40 minutes.

Now, this tight hamstrings problem doesn't seem to restrict my movements when I do some bike of run, but it's bad for other things. If you want more details, see my post at: https://groups.google.com/group/rec.running/browse_thread/thread/495d7b768ec8eaf7/d20f14b129dbc0aa?lnk=st&q=sebzzz&rnum=6#d20f14b129dbc0aa

I use my bike (regular mountain bike, with tires that are slick in the middle to be easier) to go to work sometimes (about 30k from my home). After a while, I start feeling really numb in my right trap, and when I stop and move my arms a bit, it's real pain for a couple of minutes (like needles in my trap). I can't even turn my head on the right when I'm on the bike after a while, it hurts too much. Now, every time I do some bike, this pain arrives faster and faster. I suspect my posture of my grip on the bike, but I wonder what to do. Also good to know, I get some "needles in the trap" feeling even when I'm not doing anything now, but very mild not real pain.

An other problem, yesterday at the end of my ride, I started feeling numb in my left hand, and it stayed numb for about 24 hours. This is probably due to the fact that I didn't have my gloves for the ride. (or could it be related to the trap pain?)

Some would probably say over training or something, but I don't feel more tired than usual, and it's also good to say that I always had tight hamstrings (as a kid I already had that).


So, can anybody help me with those problems?
Thanks!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iloveriding
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 24 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:40 - 29 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

to ease the problems you have mate is quite easy, Get a Motor bike,
Tony
____________________
Ride Safe, Stay Safe, Be Safe, Be Seen And See All Other Idiots on the road
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Trixie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:58 - 29 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you actually aware that this is a MOTORBIKE forum, and not a pushbike forum??? Rolling Eyes
____________________
Dead nobodies in company cars...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jackw72
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:32 - 29 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

my advice...

stretch before thoroughly and stretch at a half point thoroughly and then at the end thoroughly. =]
____________________
08/11/2007 A2 Passed.
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K3
Rapid Training passed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:35 - 29 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trixie wrote:
Are you actually aware that this is a MOTORBIKE forum, and not a pushbike forum??? Rolling Eyes


To be fair the title is Bike Chat Forum, you can see where the mistake came from Razz

However from the posts it would be fairly obvious we like the bikes with the engines Smile
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spooney
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 22 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:31 - 29 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i'll be charitable and answer even though we lazy arses use an engine!
you have just taken up running yes?
due to the impact and the type of movement involved in running a common side effect is exactly what you are describing tight hamstring muscles! its a common injury in football (see newcastle utd) usually caused by overtraining of the antagonistic (opposite movement) quad muscle. advice should be two fold 1) try to strengthen your hamstring in the gym (at the very least for every set you do on quads, do one for hamstrings not necesarilly in the same day depends how you train)
2) stretch beore and after excercise (if you only have time for one after is better although take the first 5 mins easy if this is the case) also stretching in the shower is good heat warms the muscle allows for a better stretch. Hope that helps sounds like you are training for a triathalon?

incidentally brush up on stretching technique, hold for at least 30 seconds try to increase the stretch after 15, dont bounce etc etc any good fitness site should offer all you need to know
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sebzzz
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:06 - 29 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooney wrote:
oh i'll be charitable and answer even though we lazy arses use an engine!
you have just taken up running yes?
due to the impact and the type of movement involved in running a common side effect is exactly what you are describing tight hamstring muscles! its a common injury in football (see newcastle utd) usually caused by overtraining of the antagonistic (opposite movement) quad muscle. advice should be two fold 1) try to strengthen your hamstring in the gym (at the very least for every set you do on quads, do one for hamstrings not necesarilly in the same day depends how you train)
2) stretch beore and after excercise (if you only have time for one after is better although take the first 5 mins easy if this is the case) also stretching in the shower is good heat warms the muscle allows for a better stretch. Hope that helps sounds like you are training for a triathalon?

incidentally brush up on stretching technique, hold for at least 30 seconds try to increase the stretch after 15, dont bounce etc etc any good fitness site should offer all you need to know


Thanks for the answer.

And sorry guys for the mistake about this forum, I had a good laugh when I saw your posts.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 95 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.94 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 55.58 Kb