Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Brand new tyres don't have as much grip as you'd think

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

gypsyjackson
Nova Slayer



Joined: 15 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:17 - 30 Jun 2007    Post subject: Brand new tyres don't have as much grip as you'd think Reply with quote

A fairly obvious statement, but here's a cautionary tale about a chain of events in my life:

Bought new ER6f today. Very nice.

Guy says, 'be careful with the tyres, give them 100 miles to wear in'.

Light rain on way home.

Roundabout on dual carriageway.

You can probably guess the next bit.

Going round at about 20, I guess, and the grip goes. I'd be lying if I said I knew where from, but my gut feeling is that the back came round. Lowsided, slid for a bit. Only about 10 cars went past before someone stopped to help - very grateful to him.

Damage to bike - broken bar end, bent footbrake lever (still works), fairing scratched up, mirror a little bit scratched, but it bent away, fortunately.

Damage to me - dented pride and bruised ego, but otherwise nothing, which is nice. My Hood jeans have a tiny little hole near the pocket, but all other gear fine.

The interesting, or perhaps annoying, thing is that I really was taking it easy - I wasn't going fast, as I was running the bike in. I had paid attention about the tyres, too. About half a mile before I came to the roundabout, I even thought to myself, 'Right, don't go into this too hot'! I've been over that roundabout considerably faster on my 125, so I really did think I'd be ok!

The moral of the story is 'Brand new tyres really don't have as much grip as you'd think - even when you're trying to compensate!'

Smile Take it easy out there!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:47 - 30 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

New tyres have grease on them, which is used to help them release from the mold in which they're made. Add that to cold and wet tarmac, it's easy to lose them.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:11 - 30 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bad luck.....
Could as easily have been a spillage on the road, Grip levels seem to be very good at the moment despit all the rain, guess most roads have been well washed clean now.

You think that was poor grip.. When i got my nice new LC 350 i had to ride it home in 2 inch of falling snow.... Now that was NOT fun.....
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Spoon261
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:55 - 30 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think different makes and models of tyres have different amounts of slipperiness from new.

I got a pair of metzelers ME22 Front, Block C rear for a 250cc bike a few years ago.
The trip home was 5 miles, it felt like I was riding on solid ice all the way and yet the road was warm and dry. I never dared lean the bike at all. Everything was taken very, very slow (acceleration and braking etc.).

Next trip out was much better but I only started to lean very slightly.
Over 150 miles I gradually increased the amount of lean + power and braking.

My next set of tyres were Michelin Pilot Sporty. They were fine all the time from new, but I still ran them in the same way, but never noticed any real improvement in slipperiness (stuck to the road like glue from new).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

krebsy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 30 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comiserations on the damage....

one school of thought is that the tyres need to wear in, but a lot of the time issues are with the change in profile. you get used to riding on one shape of tyre and then when they get changed it completely changes the handling. My Dunlop sportmax qualifiers stuck like glue from fitting though felt slightly odd until I was used to the profile...

K.
____________________
What's my New Year's resolution?

1280 x 1024.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:19 - 30 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all the above and also commiserate on your misfortune; as fortune would have it I also rode on new tyres for the first time today. I've had my Pirelli Scorpion MT90s swapped for Bridgestone BT45s and they're excellent, it may have been raining, I may have been tippy toeing, and they were new tyres but by 'eck compared to the "dual purpose" MT90s they're soo sticky, the rear is dual-compound which I didn't realise until I got home and read the blurb. All the best for the future on the new bike Thumbs Up
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.47 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 50.02 Kb