|
|
| Author |
Message |
| gypsyjackson |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 gypsyjackson Nova Slayer

Joined: 15 Jan 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:17 - 30 Jun 2007 Post subject: Brand new tyres don't have as much grip as you'd think |
 |
|
A fairly obvious statement, but here's a cautionary tale about a chain of events in my life:
Bought new ER6f today. Very nice.
Guy says, 'be careful with the tyres, give them 100 miles to wear in'.
Light rain on way home.
Roundabout on dual carriageway.
You can probably guess the next bit.
Going round at about 20, I guess, and the grip goes. I'd be lying if I said I knew where from, but my gut feeling is that the back came round. Lowsided, slid for a bit. Only about 10 cars went past before someone stopped to help - very grateful to him.
Damage to bike - broken bar end, bent footbrake lever (still works), fairing scratched up, mirror a little bit scratched, but it bent away, fortunately.
Damage to me - dented pride and bruised ego, but otherwise nothing, which is nice. My Hood jeans have a tiny little hole near the pocket, but all other gear fine.
The interesting, or perhaps annoying, thing is that I really was taking it easy - I wasn't going fast, as I was running the bike in. I had paid attention about the tyres, too. About half a mile before I came to the roundabout, I even thought to myself, 'Right, don't go into this too hot'! I've been over that roundabout considerably faster on my 125, so I really did think I'd be ok!
The moral of the story is 'Brand new tyres really don't have as much grip as you'd think - even when you're trying to compensate!'
Take it easy out there! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Hetzer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Hetzer Super Spammer

Joined: 19 Feb 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iooi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iooi Super Spammer

Joined: 14 Jan 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:11 - 30 Jun 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
What bad luck.....
Could as easily have been a spillage on the road, Grip levels seem to be very good at the moment despit all the rain, guess most roads have been well washed clean now.
You think that was poor grip.. When i got my nice new LC 350 i had to ride it home in 2 inch of falling snow.... Now that was NOT fun..... ____________________ Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am...... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Spoon261 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Spoon261 Trackday Trickster
Joined: 21 Feb 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| krebsy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 krebsy World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| LeeR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 LeeR World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:19 - 30 Jun 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
I agree with all the above and also commiserate on your misfortune; as fortune would have it I also rode on new tyres for the first time today. I've had my Pirelli Scorpion MT90s swapped for Bridgestone BT45s and they're excellent, it may have been raining, I may have been tippy toeing, and they were new tyres but by 'eck compared to the "dual purpose" MT90s they're soo sticky, the rear is dual-compound which I didn't realise until I got home and read the blurb. All the best for the future on the new bike  ____________________ My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 19 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|