Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


How to oil foam air filter?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

lugoismad
Nova Slayer



Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:37 - 03 Aug 2007    Post subject: How to oil foam air filter? Reply with quote

My bike has aftermarket foam airfilters that just tighten down onto the carbs.

I just washed them out in the sink, they were absolutely filthy. The guy I bought the bike from said I can either use special honda brand oil for them, or just use some motor oil.

How do I apply the oil? How much do I use?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:44 - 03 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a spray on oil made by K&N so applying it is easy.
Don't use too much oil or you'll end up creating a restriction to the airflow.

The idea is that it creates a sticky surface over the filter to catch bits of dust.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lugoismad
Nova Slayer



Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:53 - 03 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. I have a K&N Filter in my car, so I know how that works. I actually think I have some of the oil for it around, so I may just use that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tricolor Fan
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:31 - 04 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you weren't supposed to use the K&N Oil on anything other than their own gauze filters - Could be wrong! Confused

Motor oil is no good. I use silkolene, comes as a spray or in a bottle, pretty cheap.

I find the best way to oil the filter is to put a little oil in a zip-lock bag and spread it around so the inside of the bag is covered evenly. Filter goes in bag and gets pressed flat - nice even thin coat. Thumbs Up

EDIT: Right just noticed that they're not flat foam filters. Embarassed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:21 - 04 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thin oil is ok. Just don't use loads.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Odie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 04 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugoismad wrote:
I actually think I have some of the oil for it around, so I may just use that.

Instructions for the use will be on the can or did you not think of that before you asked your question? Evil or Very Mad
____________________
You are so ugly when you were born the doctor said "I?m gonna drop it, if it falls is a rat, if it flies is a bat."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.79 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 46.93 Kb