|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:30 - 02 Sep 2007 Post subject: mixing engine oil? |
 |
|
Heres a bit of a random question , just changed the oil on the NTV, and the CBR (damned oil changes seem to be a rather regular occurance wondering if I can buy 10 gallon barrels of the stuff) , and as per usual I've got some left over,
Currently in me shed I have:
1.2 litres of Silkolene 10W40 from an oil change a couple years back (it looks kind of darker than other oils) but I think Silkolene is darker than any other oil I've used anyway.
1.4 litres of Plutonene 10w40 still golden as I just stuck it in the NTV
2.0 litres of Shell V max 10w40 again still golden which I mixed with another Shell V max 10w40 from before my tour which is why in a 4 litre bottle I have 2 left.
Since I have 2 pans full of oil engine oil I thought hmm maybe I can mix some of them say the Silkolene with the Plutonene and thus have a 4litre bottle to put my oil oil into to being to the dump (I have a scottoiler and don't lube me chain with engine
oil I did but it flinged off everywhere).
Should I mix them? , Does engine oil sat unused in its once opened container go off to speak since the silkolene is at least 2-3 years old.
As a final question an ex dispatch rider in the shop said yes you CAN put fully synth into your NTV but its only really worth it if you change oil at 16-24000 miles. Since std mineral oil needs changing at 3500 , semi synth at 6000 , thus the extra cost of fully synth isn't worth it lest you have a much higher oil change interval (I'm not willing to have such a high oil change interval considering the NTV changes oil black at 2000 miles , though I use Sickpup's advice of change at 4500-5000 miles
BUT using semi synth not fully synth as he once advised.
Any thoughts
Thanks. ____________________ Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Timmeh |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Timmeh World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Nov 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kestrel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kestrel Nearly there...

Joined: 04 Sep 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 19 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|