Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


mixing engine oil?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:30 - 02 Sep 2007    Post subject: mixing engine oil? Reply with quote

Heres a bit of a random question , just changed the oil on the NTV, and the CBR (damned oil changes seem to be a rather regular occurance wondering if I can buy 10 gallon barrels of the stuff) , and as per usual I've got some left over,

Currently in me shed I have:

1.2 litres of Silkolene 10W40 from an oil change a couple years back (it looks kind of darker than other oils) but I think Silkolene is darker than any other oil I've used anyway.

1.4 litres of Plutonene 10w40 still golden as I just stuck it in the NTV

2.0 litres of Shell V max 10w40 again still golden which I mixed with another Shell V max 10w40 from before my tour which is why in a 4 litre bottle I have 2 left.

Since I have 2 pans full of oil engine oil I thought hmm maybe I can mix some of them say the Silkolene with the Plutonene and thus have a 4litre bottle to put my oil oil into to being to the dump (I have a scottoiler and don't lube me chain with engine
oil I did but it flinged off everywhere).

Should I mix them? , Does engine oil sat unused in its once opened container go off to speak since the silkolene is at least 2-3 years old.


As a final question an ex dispatch rider in the shop said yes you CAN put fully synth into your NTV but its only really worth it if you change oil at 16-24000 miles. Since std mineral oil needs changing at 3500 , semi synth at 6000 , thus the extra cost of fully synth isn't worth it lest you have a much higher oil change interval (I'm not willing to have such a high oil change interval considering the NTV changes oil black at 2000 miles , though I use Sickpup's advice of change at 4500-5000 miles

BUT using semi synth not fully synth as he once advised.

Any thoughts

Thanks.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Timmeh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:37 - 02 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just going on basic chemistry I'd say that oil goes off just like petrol and brake fluid do. They're hydroscopic and absorb water. The preservatives also degrade over time as well.

Not sure how safe it is to mix different synth oils, but I've always been told it's best to err on the side of caution and not do it.
____________________
GSXR400 x2 | '94 RVF400 | '93 TZR125 4DL (again)
20:22:30 BLUEX5: i would love to be forced to undergo a**l plugging with different sizes
20:48:18 Temeluchus: comp you hunk of smouldering homos3x you
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 02 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd mix them all together in a big container and just use it.

For bulk buy, I buy my oil from costco in 25 litre drums. I get 25 litres of 10W40 mineral oil (car turbo diesel oil) for about 20 quid.

The 15W40 for petrol engines is cheaper, but turbo diesel oil is meant to be better at holding crap is suspension. I see this as a good thing in an engine with a wet clutch.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kestrel
Nearly there...



Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 02 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of automotive oils are not suitable for motorcycles as they are generally not able to cope with the high RPM of motorcycle engines. In addition to this many automotive oils have additives which are detrimental in wet clutch applications (how many cars use wet clutches?)

Given that the oil in your engine is it's life blood then surely it makes sense to spend a few quid on the right stuff, which generally speaking will be the make and grade recommended by the people who designed and built your engine.

There is plenty of information about motorcycle specific oils, try a google on the subject.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:22 - 02 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure it says jaso ma on the back and that it's api rating is correct. The things people do to save a few quid. T
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 02 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

kestrel wrote:
The majority of automotive oils are not suitable for motorcycles as they are generally not able to cope with the high RPM of motorcycle engines. In addition to this many automotive oils have additives which are detrimental in wet clutch applications (how many cars use wet clutches?)

Given that the oil in your engine is it's life blood then surely it makes sense to spend a few quid on the right stuff, which generally speaking will be the make and grade recommended by the people who designed and built your engine.

There is plenty of information about motorcycle specific oils, try a google on the subject.


I'm pretty sure Itchy's NTV was designed long before the oil companies had the clever idea of marketing "motorcycle specific oil" at twice the price of normal oil.

And as for not handling the high RPMs of a bike engine, where did you pull this information from? If an oil can handle a turbocharger spinning at 250,000 rpm, I think it can handle a crank spinning at less than a tenth of that speed.

Lots and lots of us on here use normal car oil with no problems whatsoever. The only car oil I've known to be troublesome is castrol magnatec, which a few of us have experienced clutch slip with.

I use fully syth car oil if I get it cheap from costco too. No problems with it whatsoever, over my last 5 or 6 bikes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 37 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.72 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 50.98 Kb