Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Oil light woes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:46 - 07 Sep 2007    Post subject: Oil light woes Reply with quote

The oil light on my bike ('97 XJ600) has taken on a life of it's own. Recently it started to flicker on and off at low revs then it would be fine after it warmed up or I revved it a bit. It progressively got worse up untill the other day when it just stayed on all the time. All the while I've been checking the oil level meticulously as I can't afford to seize my bike!

I got fed up of it today and seeing as the oil had been in it for a while I changed it today. I know the oil is at the right level as I quadruple checked it after warming it up and letting it cool down a few times but the light is still on constantly *APART* from when I do a U turn to the right it just goes off!

I'm not too keen on checking the sensor deely because my manual says I have to drain the oil to get to it and I just filled it up with fresh oil and I don't have enough to do it again Sad

I'm totally perplexed by it but I'm mainly worried about riding it now. Like I said, I know it has that right amount of oil in it so would it be safe to ride? Does anyone have any idea what's going on with the light?

Thanks for any help Thumbs Up
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 07 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not sure on the pre Divvy XJ600 but Yamaha often use oil level sensors rather than oil pressure sensors (so the light is warning you that the level is low, if the level is fine and you have no oil pressure then you get no warning).

If so then just manually check the level. Chances are that you will have to replace the sensor.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 07 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks Keith, so as long as I know the oil level is ok then I don't have anything to worry about?

I wouldn't mind usually but I have to use the bike for getting to work (not many buses at 4am!)

Thanks for your help Smile
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:22 - 07 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Double check it really is just a level light, but I would suspect it is. If it is then you can ignore it and keep an eye on the oil level conventionally.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 07 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read this line in the back of my haynes manual:

"These models use an oil level light rather than an oil pressure light"

Thanks Keith, I suspected it'd be ok, I just wanted a second opinion!

Thanks again Very Happy
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 08 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out it's down to the new renthal handlebars I just fitted! There's a fair bit more rise on them and the cables are stretched a bit so I just need to re route the cables (again).

Thanks again for the help Keith Thumbs Up
____________________
Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.46 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 53 Kb