|
|
| Author |
Message |
| KLR600 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 KLR600 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:46 - 07 Sep 2007 Post subject: Oil light woes |
 |
|
The oil light on my bike ('97 XJ600) has taken on a life of it's own. Recently it started to flicker on and off at low revs then it would be fine after it warmed up or I revved it a bit. It progressively got worse up untill the other day when it just stayed on all the time. All the while I've been checking the oil level meticulously as I can't afford to seize my bike!
I got fed up of it today and seeing as the oil had been in it for a while I changed it today. I know the oil is at the right level as I quadruple checked it after warming it up and letting it cool down a few times but the light is still on constantly *APART* from when I do a U turn to the right it just goes off!
I'm not too keen on checking the sensor deely because my manual says I have to drain the oil to get to it and I just filled it up with fresh oil and I don't have enough to do it again
I'm totally perplexed by it but I'm mainly worried about riding it now. Like I said, I know it has that right amount of oil in it so would it be safe to ride? Does anyone have any idea what's going on with the light?
Thanks for any help  ____________________ Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!> |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| KLR600 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 KLR600 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:21 - 07 Sep 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ok, thanks Keith, so as long as I know the oil level is ok then I don't have anything to worry about?
I wouldn't mind usually but I have to use the bike for getting to work (not many buses at 4am!)
Thanks for your help  ____________________ Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!> |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| KLR600 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 KLR600 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:40 - 07 Sep 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Just read this line in the back of my haynes manual:
"These models use an oil level light rather than an oil pressure light"
Thanks Keith, I suspected it'd be ok, I just wanted a second opinion!
Thanks again  ____________________ Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!> |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| KLR600 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 KLR600 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 11:51 - 08 Sep 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
It turns out it's down to the new renthal handlebars I just fitted! There's a fair bit more rise on them and the cables are stretched a bit so I just need to re route the cables (again).
Thanks again for the help Keith  ____________________ Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!> |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 19 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|