|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Tricolor Fan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tricolor Fan Trackday Trickster

Joined: 01 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:29 - 11 Sep 2007 Post subject: Fractured Spine & Insurance! |
 |
|
Lost the back end on gravel (who the idiot who put an access road there) going into a tight corner, and then the bike tried to throw me off like a rag doll, somehow got it back but couldn't do anything else but try and run off the road somewhere safe. A deep grassy verge with some trees was straight ahead, so I though I could bring it home safely.
Didn't go to plan! Taken off the bike via helmet by a tree branch and landed flat on my back on broken concrete where there used to be a marker post or something. Bike only clipped the tree, but flipped over somehow.
Spent around sixteen hours in a collar and stuff lying flat on my back not able to move until a group of consultants decided I had a stable fracture of T6 [edit T4] and major soft tissue bruising around C2-6.
I won't be on a bike for a few months, actually apart from lying, sitting and walking, I'll be doing bugger all for at least the next six weeks.
Bike is remarkably intact, better than if I had totally lost it, but it's a Mito so parts are expensive and every panel has a chip or crack. Probably a write-off.
My insurer eBike (bad rep, I know) are asking if I accept liability, I understand that if more than one person was involved it's an important question, but it was just me, so what do I say
Also they won't tell whether they offer to let me buy back the bike after settlement, 'cause apart from the fairings it'll be good for parts or I could even put it back on the road for 600 or so.
My advice is to wear a good back protector, I had a dainese wave and it saved me from not being able to move from the diaphragm down.
I've got some comments to make on helmets, but I'll save that for later.
Last edited by Tricolor Fan on 05:56 - 31 Mar 2008; edited 2 times in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| edd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 edd Nearly there...

Joined: 06 Jul 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Grav |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Grav World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:55 - 11 Sep 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Welcome to the Spinal Injury club. Dont push your recovery too hard or you will end up doing yourself more harm in the long run. I speak from experience......
I hit a brick wall head first at 30 mph and crushed T7 - T8 and fractured T9. That was 5 years ago and I pushed my recovery way too hard too quickly. It still bloody hurts now.
Listen carefully to your Physiotherapist and just take it one step at a time, you will need to keep to a regular excercise programme and FFS don't do any heavy lifting!
All the best
PS. Lazer helmets are brill.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tricolor Fan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tricolor Fan Trackday Trickster

Joined: 01 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:50 - 15 Sep 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tricolor Fan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tricolor Fan Trackday Trickster

Joined: 01 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:04 - 16 Sep 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Runaway987 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Runaway987 Scooby Slapper

Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iooi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iooi Super Spammer

Joined: 14 Jan 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 09:03 - 16 Sep 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
If no one else is involved, and you did not damage anything other then bike and yourself.
You could simply not claim at all.
Think you would just have to pay fee for transport to hospital... If they still charge you for a RTA.
I assume that you must be FC ins, and guess that they are asking about liability as it will affect payout, if you are saying its someone elses fault then you could be looking a a large payout for injuries, your fault i would guess you get nowt. ____________________ Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am...... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tricolor Fan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tricolor Fan Trackday Trickster

Joined: 01 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rhys |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rhys Trackday Trickster

Joined: 14 Aug 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:55 - 16 Sep 2007 Post subject: Re: Fractured Spine & Insurance! |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tricolor Fan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tricolor Fan Trackday Trickster

Joined: 01 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:09 - 16 Sep 2007 Post subject: Re: Fractured Spine & Insurance! |
 |
|
| Rhys wrote: | I broke T5 and T6 (mid section of my back) 3weeks ago on 24th Aug... |
Well, I wish you a speedy pain free recovery.
T6 here, but with trauma to my c-spine. Scary to think that if I had left in my old back protector I probably wouldn't be walking. I'm also told that if the helmet hadn't slowed down the impact to my head as much as it did my c-spine would have been much worse.
| Quote: | they only kept you in for 16hrs? they had me in for 8days, and when I came out I didnt think I was ready for being able to do anything at that. |
No, they kept me restrained for sixteen hours. Untill the eleven or so x-rays had been checked and rechecked. I was in for four days and was glad to get out, but I think the nurses rushed it a little.
My consultant said I would be in until I was mobile enough to look after myself, but I'm barely able to anything. Even with a huge amount of Dihydracodiene I'm still in agony. I've got someone to help which is good.
| Rhys wrote: | Dont worry too much about the bike until you're fine, well atleast the salvage like you say but as for repairing after im waiting, thats what Im doing anyway, that way I wont have a bike which is rideable - and a back that prevents me even sitting on it! |
Just trying to get the insurance sorted out quickly, if I get salvage I've no intention of doing any work on it until I'm healed. The temptation...
| Rhys wrote: | Anyway, I'll race you on the road of recovery  my check ups 12th October  Get well Soon!  |
Hey no fair, you've got a good couple of weeks head start!
Get well soon too.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tricolor Fan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tricolor Fan Trackday Trickster

Joined: 01 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| AC |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 AC Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 02 Sep 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:27 - 16 Sep 2007 Post subject: Re: Fractured Spine & Insurance! |
 |
|
| Tricolor Fan wrote: | | Rhys wrote: | I broke T5 and T6 (mid section of my back) 3weeks ago on 24th Aug... |
Well, I wish you a speedy pain free recovery.
T6 here, but with trauma to my c-spine. Scary to think that if I had left in my old back protector I probably wouldn't be walking. I'm also told that if the helmet hadn't slowed down the impact to my head as much as it did my c-spine would have been much worse.
| Quote: | they only kept you in for 16hrs? they had me in for 8days, and when I came out I didnt think I was ready for being able to do anything at that. |
No, they kept me restrained for sixteen hours. Untill the eleven or so x-rays had been checked and rechecked. I was in for four days and was glad to get out, but I think the nurses rushed it a little.
| Rhys wrote: | Anyway, I'll race you on the road of recovery  my check ups 12th October  Get well Soon!  |
Hey no fair, you've got a good couple of weeks head start!
Get well soon too.  |
I understand how you pair are feeling at the moment, but being let out in under a week with fractured spines??? I was kept in hospital for 5 weeks and then in a body cast for a further 12 weeks after fracturing T2, T4 & T5 (shoulder blades and above) in a motorbike accident in 2003.
Good luck with your recovery's. I generally am ok now, but do get problems if i sit badly or get very cold and damp. Still have both really strong painkillers & anti inflammatories prescriped thought try and avoid taking them if i can. Work on principle if my back is hurting then I have either over done it or have been sitting badly and need to be careful.
I have found a very good sports massage therapist in my area if my back flares up really badly which helps the muscles relax and eases my back pain. Something to bear in mind for the future. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Phoenix |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Phoenix Twisted Firestarter

Joined: 01 Aug 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ted |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ted World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Mar 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tricolor Fan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tricolor Fan Trackday Trickster

Joined: 01 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tricolor Fan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tricolor Fan Trackday Trickster

Joined: 01 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:42 - 16 Sep 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tricolor Fan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tricolor Fan Trackday Trickster

Joined: 01 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kitty kat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kitty kat World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Jun 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| splodge |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 splodge Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 13 Jul 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tricolor Fan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tricolor Fan Trackday Trickster

Joined: 01 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tricolor Fan |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tricolor Fan Trackday Trickster

Joined: 01 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Grav |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Grav World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:24 - 17 Sep 2007 Post subject: Re: Fractured Spine & Insurance! |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 19 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|