Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Fractured Spine & Insurance!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Tricolor Fan
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:29 - 11 Sep 2007    Post subject: Fractured Spine & Insurance! Reply with quote

Lost the back end on gravel (who the idiot who put an access road there) going into a tight corner, and then the bike tried to throw me off like a rag doll, somehow got it back but couldn't do anything else but try and run off the road somewhere safe. A deep grassy verge with some trees was straight ahead, so I though I could bring it home safely.

Didn't go to plan! Taken off the bike via helmet by a tree branch and landed flat on my back on broken concrete where there used to be a marker post or something. Bike only clipped the tree, but flipped over somehow. Rolling Eyes

Spent around sixteen hours in a collar and stuff lying flat on my back not able to move until a group of consultants decided I had a stable fracture of T6 [edit T4] and major soft tissue bruising around C2-6. Shocked

I won't be on a bike for a few months, actually apart from lying, sitting and walking, I'll be doing bugger all for at least the next six weeks. Sad

Bike is remarkably intact, better than if I had totally lost it, but it's a Mito so parts are expensive and every panel has a chip or crack. Probably a write-off. Crying or Very sad

My insurer eBike (bad rep, I know) are asking if I accept liability, I understand that if more than one person was involved it's an important question, but it was just me, so what do I say Question

Also they won't tell whether they offer to let me buy back the bike after settlement, 'cause apart from the fairings it'll be good for parts or I could even put it back on the road for 600 or so.

My advice is to wear a good back protector, I had a dainese wave and it saved me from not being able to move from the diaphragm down. Thumbs Up

I've got some comments to make on helmets, but I'll save that for later.


Last edited by Tricolor Fan on 05:56 - 31 Mar 2008; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

edd
Nearly there...



Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:37 - 11 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have to let you have salvage if you request it, it is your property.
____________________
Bluespark Automotive - Diesel Tuning for Performance and Economy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Grav
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:55 - 11 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Spinal Injury club. Dont push your recovery too hard or you will end up doing yourself more harm in the long run. I speak from experience......

I hit a brick wall head first at 30 mph and crushed T7 - T8 and fractured T9. That was 5 years ago and I pushed my recovery way too hard too quickly. It still bloody hurts now. Crying or Very sad

Listen carefully to your Physiotherapist and just take it one step at a time, you will need to keep to a regular excercise programme and FFS don't do any heavy lifting!

All the best Thumbs Up

PS. Lazer helmets are brill. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tricolor Fan
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:50 - 15 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Welcome to the Spinal Injury club. Dont push your recovery too hard or you will end up doing yourself more harm in the long run. I speak from experience......


Well, you won't be offended if I say I'd rather not be a member. Yeah, I'm taking it very easy. Finding my limits very quickly... feel pretty useless TBH. Crying or Very sad

Quote:
I hit a brick wall head first at 30 mph and crushed T7 - T8 and fractured T9. That was 5 years ago and I pushed my recovery way too hard too quickly. It still bloody hurts now. Crying or Very sad


Ouch! Shocked I think I got off lightly, but I've been warned that I could be pain free in a couple of months or never.

Quote:
All the best Thumbs Up


Thanks Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tricolor Fan
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:04 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

edd wrote:
They have to let you have salvage if you request it, it is your property.


I had a vague idea that it might be the case that I'm able to negotiate salvage, but I also seem to remember that they were trying to end that.

Trying to get a firm answer from them, but I have three different phone and reference numbers and a selection of teletubbies to get conflicting information from. Confused

Anyone got advice on how to deal with it. Question Thumbs Up


Last edited by Tricolor Fan on 23:32 - 16 Sep 2007; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:10 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Ouch.

The bike is yours. They do not have to let you keep it but the settlement will need to be mutually acceptable, and if you want it then it is easy for them to let you keep it.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Runaway987
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:19 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the point of insurance was that you wreck it or someone else does in a crash then they BUY the wreck off you for whatever you valued it at.

I don't think they have to let you have anything - but I could be wrong.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:03 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no one else is involved, and you did not damage anything other then bike and yourself.
You could simply not claim at all.
Think you would just have to pay fee for transport to hospital... If they still charge you for a RTA.
I assume that you must be FC ins, and guess that they are asking about liability as it will affect payout, if you are saying its someone elses fault then you could be looking a a large payout for injuries, your fault i would guess you get nowt.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tricolor Fan
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:13 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runaway987 wrote:
I thought the point of insurance was that you wreck it or someone else does in a crash then they BUY the wreck off you for whatever you valued it at.


Well, true, but's that not the point. I want my wreck and I'm happy to negotiate a lower payout. In the past the insurance companies seemed more than happy to lower the payout by 10-20% and let you keep your car/bike.

It would be good to get salvage on the bike, there's nothing wrong with it that couldn't be fixed in a couple of hours by me for a reasonable price.

Just looking out for my interests: having the bike salvaged and repaired with some of the reduced payout leaves me in a better position than a market value payout.

Quote:
I don't think they have to let you have anything - but I could be wrong.


Well the policy states that 'they reserve the right to salvage' so I guess that is the case,


Last edited by Tricolor Fan on 18:47 - 02 Mar 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rhys
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:55 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Re: Fractured Spine & Insurance! Reply with quote

Tricolor Fan wrote:
I won't be on a bike for a few months, actually apart from lying, sitting and walking, I'll be doing bugger all for at least the next six weeks. Sad


I broke T5 and T6 (mid section of my back) 3weeks ago on 24th Aug...

they only kept you in for 16hrs? they had me in for 8days, and when I came out I didnt think I was ready for being able to do anything at that.

Dont worry too much about the bike until you're fine, well atleast the salvage like you say but as for repairing after im waiting, thats what Im doing anyway, that way I wont have a bike which is rideable - and a back that prevents me even sitting on it!

Anyway, I'll race you on the road of recovery Wink my check ups 12th October Smile Get well Soon! Thumbs Up
____________________
Current Bike: '94 RVF 400R
Bike Pics Youtube Myspace
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tricolor Fan
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Re: Fractured Spine & Insurance! Reply with quote

Rhys wrote:
I broke T5 and T6 (mid section of my back) 3weeks ago on 24th Aug...


Well, I wish you a speedy pain free recovery. Thumbs Up

T6 here, but with trauma to my c-spine. Scary to think that if I had left in my old back protector I probably wouldn't be walking. I'm also told that if the helmet hadn't slowed down the impact to my head as much as it did my c-spine would have been much worse.

Quote:
they only kept you in for 16hrs? they had me in for 8days, and when I came out I didnt think I was ready for being able to do anything at that.


No, they kept me restrained for sixteen hours. Untill the eleven or so x-rays had been checked and rechecked. I was in for four days and was glad to get out, but I think the nurses rushed it a little.

My consultant said I would be in until I was mobile enough to look after myself, but I'm barely able to anything. Even with a huge amount of Dihydracodiene I'm still in agony. I've got someone to help which is good.

Rhys wrote:
Dont worry too much about the bike until you're fine, well atleast the salvage like you say but as for repairing after im waiting, thats what Im doing anyway, that way I wont have a bike which is rideable - and a back that prevents me even sitting on it!


Just trying to get the insurance sorted out quickly, if I get salvage I've no intention of doing any work on it until I'm healed. The temptation...

Rhys wrote:
Anyway, I'll race you on the road of recovery Wink my check ups 12th October Smile Get well Soon! Thumbs Up


Hey no fair, you've got a good couple of weeks head start!

Get well soon too. Exclamation
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tricolor Fan
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Ouch.

The bike is yours. They do not have to let you keep it but the settlement will need to be mutually acceptable, and if you want it then it is easy for them to let you keep it.

All the best

Keith


Thanks.

Was that a Freccia I spied in Ride! [Edit: erm Bike!, even... I'm losing it] Ohh, I'd love to get my hands on one. Laughing


Last edited by Tricolor Fan on 17:22 - 17 Sep 2007; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:43 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tricolor Fan wrote:
Was that a Freccia I spied in Ride! Ohh, I'd love to get my hands on one. Laughing


Err, we have a few.

The one in the pic was one bought for spares but which was too good to break so got fixed up (although it has minor damage to the crankcases giving a tiny oil leak from the gearchange shaft, looks like a chain has come off). Have another that is still in pieces that is the ex road test bike from Motorcycle International. Also have the remains of a couple of others bought for spares (one was already in pieces, the other was missing the top end of the engine and has a blown crank).

Likely that one good engine will be made from the one with a blown crank and the one with the oil leak.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AC
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 02 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Re: Fractured Spine & Insurance! Reply with quote

Tricolor Fan wrote:
Rhys wrote:
I broke T5 and T6 (mid section of my back) 3weeks ago on 24th Aug...


Well, I wish you a speedy pain free recovery. Thumbs Up

T6 here, but with trauma to my c-spine. Scary to think that if I had left in my old back protector I probably wouldn't be walking. I'm also told that if the helmet hadn't slowed down the impact to my head as much as it did my c-spine would have been much worse.

Quote:
they only kept you in for 16hrs? they had me in for 8days, and when I came out I didnt think I was ready for being able to do anything at that.


No, they kept me restrained for sixteen hours. Untill the eleven or so x-rays had been checked and rechecked. I was in for four days and was glad to get out, but I think the nurses rushed it a little.

Rhys wrote:
Anyway, I'll race you on the road of recovery Wink my check ups 12th October Smile Get well Soon! Thumbs Up


Hey no fair, you've got a good couple of weeks head start!

Get well soon too. Exclamation


I understand how you pair are feeling at the moment, but being let out in under a week with fractured spines??? I was kept in hospital for 5 weeks and then in a body cast for a further 12 weeks after fracturing T2, T4 & T5 (shoulder blades and above) in a motorbike accident in 2003.

Good luck with your recovery's. I generally am ok now, but do get problems if i sit badly or get very cold and damp. Still have both really strong painkillers & anti inflammatories prescriped thought try and avoid taking them if i can. Work on principle if my back is hurting then I have either over done it or have been sitting badly and need to be careful.
I have found a very good sports massage therapist in my area if my back flares up really badly which helps the muscles relax and eases my back pain. Something to bear in mind for the future.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:37 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance companies have been reducing the number of buy backs for salvage bikes when the claim is paid out, mainly due to a lot of exploitation apparently. However the sure fire way of getting the bike back is just to claim sentimental attachment for whatever reason (your dad gave it for you, or helped you do it up etc) or that it's irreplaceable to you personally despite not being worth much to anyone else.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:49 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

edd wrote:
They have to let you have salvage if you request it, it is your property.


Just to clear things up... If your insurance company pays you a full and final settlement if the bike is written off, the bike is no longer your property, and is in fact their's.

Therfore they do not need to sell you the bike back, but most companies will do so to save the hassle of collecting it and getting it scrapped. However the price they offer will vary depending on the value of the bike, the condition it is in, and the insurance company.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tricolor Fan
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:21 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
edd wrote:
They have to let you have salvage if you request it, it is your property.


Just to clear things up... If your insurance company pays you a full and final settlement if the bike is written off, the bike is no longer your property, and is in fact their's.

Therfore they do not need to sell you the bike back, but most companies will do so to save the hassle of collecting it and getting it scrapped. However the price they offer will vary depending on the value of the bike, the condition it is in, and the insurance company.


Yes, I understand that a full and final settlement generally means that they take ownership. I'm just trying to figure out which is the best way to approach them to try and retain salvage rights for a reduced payout/buy back. Problem is they will not give me a clear answer as to whether or not they will agree to this.

The repair cost is more than it's market value, so I'm guessing it'll will end up being a Cat C.

Another small problem is that they spirited it away to a salvage yard from where it was being stored on the very day I had planned to have it moved to a local garage for a repair quote just liked they had asked me to.

I'm a bit annoyed about that. It's now over a hundred miles away. I'm assured that it was merely taken away to be assessed by an engineer. Beginning to doubt that I'll ever see it again.

I'm going to be having very stern words with the garage it was stored at. Mad
____________________
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.


Last edited by Tricolor Fan on 05:45 - 31 Mar 2008; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tricolor Fan
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:42 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Tricolor Fan wrote:
Was that a Freccia I spied in Ride! Ohh, I'd love to get my hands on one. Laughing


Err, we have a few.

The one in the pic was one bought for spares but which was too good to break so got fixed up (although it has minor damage to the crankcases giving a tiny oil leak from the gearchange shaft, looks like a chain has come off). Have another that is still in pieces that is the ex road test bike from Motorcycle International. Also have the remains of a couple of others bought for spares (one was already in pieces, the other was missing the top end of the engine and has a blown crank).

Likely that one good engine will be made from the one with a blown crank and the one with the oil leak.

All the best

Keith


Nice to hear your going to keep one of these rare beasties on the road! Thumbs Up

I keep looking for a reasonably good one, but no luck, unless I want to import one from Europe that is. Confused

Sorry... I do like my two strokes... and Italian bikes...
____________________
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:45 - 16 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tricolor Fan wrote:
Another small problem is that they spirited it away to a salvage yard from where it was being stored on the very day I had planned to have it moved to a local garage for a repair quote just liked they had asked me to.


Get it back as soon as possible. Immediatly. Otherwise you could get stung for a very large bill, and the insurance company might use that large bill as a lever to get you to accept a settlement earlier.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tricolor Fan
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:15 - 17 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Get it back as soon as possible. Immediatly. Otherwise you could get stung for a very large bill, and the insurance company might use that large bill as a lever to get you to accept a settlement earlier.

All the best

Keith


I figured as much. Much screaming will take place tomorrow morning. Wink
____________________
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kitty kat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:32 - 17 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope you mend soon and are pain free as well.

good luck with insurance company, sorry can't offer any advice to you, just wanted to say

GET WELL SOON and a speedy recovery Tricolor Fan
____________________
Enjoy everyday, tell those you love everyday you love them
Life is too short to fall out with people
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

splodge
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 13 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:13 - 17 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Well Soon, would a back protector be worth having as a precaution for the future
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tricolor Fan
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:01 - 17 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

splodge wrote:
Get Well Soon, would a back protector be worth having as a precaution for the future


Thanks. Smile

I don't think I'll ever get on a bike again without having a good back protector on. Being able to walk is a good thing - IMHO. Laughing
____________________
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tricolor Fan
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:54 - 17 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I've got my answer.

eBike are a bunch of cowboys, they claim I refused to get my bike out of storage and that I gave them permission to have it moved to wherever it is now. Maybe a case for the ombudsman?

I have, however, been told that I will not be charged for storage, and I'm getting it in writing!

They will not negotiate a settlement, I will get market value. No possibility of a reduced payout in lieu of damages so I can repair to myself. No possibility of negotiating a lower settlement and retaining salvage rights.

Seems if I want it back I'll have to deal with the salvage company itself - Universal Salvage.

Irrational, I know, but I just want it back!

Time to look for a new GP too, my surgery does not prescribe DHC. Never been happy with them anyway...
____________________
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Grav
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 17 Sep 2007    Post subject: Re: Fractured Spine & Insurance! Reply with quote

AC wrote:


I understand how you pair are feeling at the moment, but being let out in under a week with fractured spines??? I was kept in hospital for 5 weeks and then in a body cast for a further 12 weeks after fracturing T2, T4 & T5 (shoulder blades and above) in a motorbike accident in 2003.

Good luck with your recovery's. I generally am ok now, but do get problems if i sit badly or get very cold and damp. Still have both really strong painkillers & anti inflammatories prescriped thought try and avoid taking them if i can. Work on principle if my back is hurting then I have either over done it or have been sitting badly and need to be careful.
I have found a very good sports massage therapist in my area if my back flares up really badly which helps the muscles relax and eases my back pain. Something to bear in mind for the future.


Sound advice there, AC. Thumbs Up

Its amazing how treatment for spinal injuries has progressed over the last few years for them to be allowed home after a few days. I was in for 5 weeks when I did mine in....these youngster eh? Laughing

All the best folks. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 1.11 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 145.71 Kb