Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


<21 Age check?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:47 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: <21 Age check? Reply with quote

I stumbled into a supermarket yesterday , odd because I don't usually go to them , but why do the check out staff ask if you are under 21 when buying alcohol? , last time I checked the legal drinking age was 18? , or did all these supermarkets just do this age check thing on the cheap? , ie import their badges and stickers form the US to save a few quid?.

I find it kind of amusing sometimes in that they always ask, my dad has things to say about this and my dad is over 60, the guy who was infront of me looked like he was at least 90 and was still asked.

Any thoughts?

Ta
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:57 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because companies can get fined for serving alcohol to those under 18, they decided that the rule of thumb was to ask for id if they looked under 21, on the assumption that they would catch out more people under age that way. "Think 21" is a guideline for the till operators - they should be asking for id if you look under 21, rather than asking if you are under 21.

https://www.think21.co.uk/images/think21poster.jpg
https://www.think21.co.uk/images/challenge21poster.jpg
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]


Last edited by TheShaggyDA on 09:00 - 01 Oct 2007; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:59 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the 'look under 21? we may ak for ID' altho the legal age is 18.

Im used to being asked now - today even for fags as its 18+ from today Confused

But yes why they have to ask people who are a lot older I dont understand. Ive seen a women, who was pretty much well over the 21 age asked for ID for some alcohol.

And another thing - bit off topic - but in Tescos, I was buying alcohol - had my ID at the ready and then my nephew walked over (was on holiday) and some manager came up to me and said

'Sorry we cant serve you this alcohol as that young boy just walked up to you' Wtf?
I said I was 23 I have ID and he is my nephew.
His reply ' You need to bring a responsible adult to say who you are and who he is! So I got my dad. Thumbs Down
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:48 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

the staff in the shop can be charged by the police if they serve an underage person
they will almost certainly loose there jobs and most shops do random blind tests on there staff
by sending in underage people to try to buy booze or ciggys
my wife works in a supermarket and has had 3 such test shoppers so far
and pulled them up for ID as she is supposed to
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:51 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general consensus is to kind of expect to be ID'd. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:59 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
The general consensus is to kind of expect to be ID'd. Thumbs Up


Yeah, but you look 14 Smile
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Glen
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:50 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:

His reply ' You need to bring a responsible adult to say who you are and who he is! So I got my dad. Thumbs Down


If someone had said that to me I would have been fookin livid. I get asked for ID everywhere I go because at 25, I still look young (my gf insists this is a good thing!) but to insinuate you are irresponsible because you look young... grr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:09 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did know age had changed i know they are putting cigarette's up to age 18 now.I am 25 and still got asked for ID in some offies Shocked
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:31 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonfly wrote:
Did know age had changed i know they are putting cigarette's up to age 18 now.I am 25 and still got asked for ID in some offies Shocked


The age HASN'T changed - it's a guide line for vendors. If they look under 21, then they have to ask for proof that they are over 18.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:42 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 33 and look it but still got ID'd while buying a bottle of vodka in Asda.

Mind you, the bint ID'd the guy in front of me too and he was buying a portable telly. Confused
____________________
Didn't catch anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

powelly
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:02 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I got ID'd while doing some shopping at Sainsburys, didnt have any ID on me so the woman on the till refused to sell me the bottle of wine. I paid for the rest of my stuff then asked her to call the manager over.

When the manager came over the woman on the till explained the situation, and the manager asked me what the problem was. I explained that while I understand the importance of asking for ID shouldnt they be making more of an effort much to prevent credit card fraud.

He looked a little confused and asked what I meant, I then pointed out that if I wasnt old enough to buy a bottle of wine then it clearly wasnt my credit card I had just paid for the rest of my shopping with!

A few minutes later I was on my way home with a free bottle of wine and an apology Very Happy
____________________
Yamaha RXS 100 > Gilera Runner 50 > Suzuki SV650SY
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:38 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShaggyDA wrote:
dragonfly wrote:
Did know age had changed i know they are putting cigarette's up to age 18 now.I am 25 and still got asked for ID in some offies Shocked


The age HASN'T changed - it's a guide line for vendors. If they look under 21, then they have to ask for proof that they are over 18.


it has changed

it used to be 16, now its 18

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6216523.stm
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo, I sit corrected.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Runaway987
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to buy a fucking DVD rated "15", in full riding kit with partner and a load of groceries from ASDA.

As the twat is plonking things through the till im asking if the woman wants to put it on the credit card or the debit card. He comes to the film and asks me for ID.

I have a wallet full of cards, I am riding a 600 sports which I just parked outside and I am 22, and he is asking me for ID for a 15. I just looked at him and said are you fucking kidding? He put the DVD down and slid it along. I really hope he thought it was an 18, i'd like to believe people cannot be that dumb otherwise.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

izzi81
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 24 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:11 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was highly amused the other day when my sister told me that she hadn't been allowed to buy a bottle of wine in Sainsbury's because she hadn't had any ID on her to prove she was over 21.


She's 28 Shocked


'do you have a student card?' they asked.

'um, no, I graduated 5 years ago.....' Laughing
____________________
"The problem with the French is they have no word for 'entrepreneur' " George W Bush
Age doesn't matter unless you're a cheese
https://www.bikepics.com/members/izzi81
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nick606
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:29 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drinking age is going to be made higher to 21 soon as well. Probably just after i turn 18.

I'm getting rite pissed off with this countries "healthy living and better society crap".

Soon you wouldn't be able to do anything fun.

Thumbs Down
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch



Joined: 06 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't ask for a student card, i ask for ID.

As per shaggy's post, as bar staff we HAVE to ID anyone we have any reservations about.

We've been warned that local Police and deliberately sending in underage people to see if they get served. If they do, the barman gets an £80 fine on the spot and a longterm fine of £5000.

So that's why we HAVE to cover our asses. On the occasion that i do ID someone whose 25 plus i do apologise and explain why.
____________________
wizzzard wrote: Imagine God just stopping by, tidying your front room up and then quietly letting himself out again. Statisticly more likely to happen than Korn being on here.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:40 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

In america (texas) when I was there they couldnt continue the transaction in the supermarket without inputting a date of birth. You had no problem because everyone HAD to do it, so no ones ikle ego getting bruised cos the bum fluff on their chin isnt convincing enough to make them look 18.

My ex's dad even got ID'd for the nightclub on the stag night when we there and he was 49. He didnt have any tho but they let him in 'just this once' (think the grey hair, moustache and claiming to be the 26 year old bloke beside hims father!!

Ive got no problem being ID'd, in fact I still dont go to buy beer without checking my licence is to hand, as Im getting older and balder I like to think I still look young! Laughing
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Aikman666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:45 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye im with you on that Nick
I work in the supermarket, so I get all the training they spew out for this stuff (although im acctually the butcher) And tbh I think they are just testing the water so they can raise the age. If they do, which seems likely it better take a few years (like 4!) and I suspect there will be a MASSIVE boom in fake ID's etc.

On the other hand the amount of tax the government makes from alcohol and a large percentage of the people who drink it are aged 18-21, they might not be so eager.

But hey! they could always pump up the tax on petrol instead.....oh wait
____________________
Will work for petrol
My Design Blog
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:34 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea if i sell alcohol to under 18's i get £80 fine which could go up to £5,000 - Then the boss gets it - £20k fine and loose the licence.

This whole 18+ to buy tobacco - Can they still smoke at 16?

Im slightly confused over it. It dosnt say 'No smoking untill your 18' is it just to buy the dam stuff?.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kiers
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:55 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully its just to buy it, im sure as hell not gonna stop smoking Razz
____________________
'but this wasn't any ordinary clio197.this was the SUPER DUPER version.
ooh i can't wait for the next instalment of superluke and his tales of skullduggery.' - lurker 27 sep 2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

growler
Traffic Copper



Joined: 17 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:24 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was with my son who is 16 in Morrisons and he wanted a copy of Loaded now I'm not sure but I don't remember ever seeing an 18 rating on this mag but he was asked if he was 18 and replied no so the woman refused to serve him I am stood next to him so said ok I will buy it

She refused to give it to me!!!!!

On going back to the shelf to get another one found that that was the last copy. Was fuming by now!!!!!

When to the cig counter and brought a different mag for him and asked if there was an age limit on the mags but she didn't know but how pathetic its a lads mag FFS
____________________
DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thegubner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:47 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I was 22, I went into asda in poole with my mum when visiting her (she lives in dorset) and while she got her shopping I got a FHM mag, now at the till we were talking about weight, I quietly said that I was 14 stone, but the girl at the checkout must have heard the 14.

She asked if I could prove I was over 15! Shocked

I had a beard and tattoos on my arms were visible, I said I'm 22 love, she asked me to prove it or I could not have the mag!

Standing there while my mother explained that I was old enough was very very embarresing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:17 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mass boycotts? , its becoming very much like the US where supermarkets stop selling things and effectively censorship things...
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

powelly
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:04 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be interesting to see where this goes, at present a 17 year old has been allowed to smoke for a year and has more than likely become adicted. Now the law has change he/she is still allowed to smoke, however no longer allowed to buy the cigarettes needed to feed his or her adiction.

I can see some smart arse taking this to court.
____________________
Yamaha RXS 100 > Gilera Runner 50 > Suzuki SV650SY
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.41 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.06 Kb