|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 08:47 - 01 Oct 2007 Post subject: <21 Age check? |
 |
|
I stumbled into a supermarket yesterday , odd because I don't usually go to them , but why do the check out staff ask if you are under 21 when buying alcohol? , last time I checked the legal drinking age was 18? , or did all these supermarkets just do this age check thing on the cheap? , ie import their badges and stickers form the US to save a few quid?.
I find it kind of amusing sometimes in that they always ask, my dad has things to say about this and my dad is over 60, the guy who was infront of me looked like he was at least 90 and was still asked.
Any thoughts?
Ta ____________________ Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 08:57 - 01 Oct 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Because companies can get fined for serving alcohol to those under 18, they decided that the rule of thumb was to ask for id if they looked under 21, on the assumption that they would catch out more people under age that way. "Think 21" is a guideline for the till operators - they should be asking for id if you look under 21, rather than asking if you are under 21.
https://www.think21.co.uk/images/think21poster.jpg
https://www.think21.co.uk/images/challenge21poster.jpg ____________________ Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet
[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
Last edited by TheShaggyDA on 09:00 - 01 Oct 2007; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Louise |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Louise World Chat Champion

Joined: 22 May 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 08:59 - 01 Oct 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Its the 'look under 21? we may ak for ID' altho the legal age is 18.
Im used to being asked now - today even for fags as its 18+ from today
But yes why they have to ask people who are a lot older I dont understand. Ive seen a women, who was pretty much well over the 21 age asked for ID for some alcohol.
And another thing - bit off topic - but in Tescos, I was buying alcohol - had my ID at the ready and then my nephew walked over (was on holiday) and some manager came up to me and said
'Sorry we cant serve you this alcohol as that young boy just walked up to you' Wtf?
I said I was 23 I have ID and he is my nephew.
His reply ' You need to bring a responsible adult to say who you are and who he is! So I got my dad.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| oldpink |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 oldpink World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Aug 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:51 - 01 Oct 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
The general consensus is to kind of expect to be ID'd.  ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Glen |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Glen Spanner Monkey

Joined: 15 Nov 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dragonfly |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dragonfly Super Spammer

Joined: 05 Sep 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:09 - 01 Oct 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Did know age had changed i know they are putting cigarette's up to age 18 now.I am 25 and still got asked for ID in some offies  ____________________ All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pa_broon74 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pa_broon74 World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:42 - 01 Oct 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm 33 and look it but still got ID'd while buying a bottle of vodka in Asda.
Mind you, the bint ID'd the guy in front of me too and he was buying a portable telly.  ____________________ Didn't catch anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| powelly |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 powelly World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 May 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:02 - 01 Oct 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Years ago I got ID'd while doing some shopping at Sainsburys, didnt have any ID on me so the woman on the till refused to sell me the bottle of wine. I paid for the rest of my stuff then asked her to call the manager over.
When the manager came over the woman on the till explained the situation, and the manager asked me what the problem was. I explained that while I understand the importance of asking for ID shouldnt they be making more of an effort much to prevent credit card fraud.
He looked a little confused and asked what I meant, I then pointed out that if I wasnt old enough to buy a bottle of wine then it clearly wasnt my credit card I had just paid for the rest of my shopping with!
A few minutes later I was on my way home with a free bottle of wine and an apology  ____________________ Yamaha RXS 100 > Gilera Runner 50 > Suzuki SV650SY |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Runaway987 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Runaway987 Scooby Slapper

Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| izzi81 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 izzi81 Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 24 Apr 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:11 - 01 Oct 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
I was highly amused the other day when my sister told me that she hadn't been allowed to buy a bottle of wine in Sainsbury's because she hadn't had any ID on her to prove she was over 21.
She's 28
'do you have a student card?' they asked.
'um, no, I graduated 5 years ago.....'  ____________________ "The problem with the French is they have no word for 'entrepreneur' " George W Bush
Age doesn't matter unless you're a cheese
https://www.bikepics.com/members/izzi81 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nick606 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nick606 World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Nov 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:29 - 01 Oct 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Drinking age is going to be made higher to 21 soon as well. Probably just after i turn 18.
I'm getting rite pissed off with this countries "healthy living and better society crap".
Soon you wouldn't be able to do anything fun.
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| quacker_boy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 quacker_boy Cuddle Bitch

Joined: 06 Sep 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Villers |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Villers World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:40 - 01 Oct 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
In america (texas) when I was there they couldnt continue the transaction in the supermarket without inputting a date of birth. You had no problem because everyone HAD to do it, so no ones ikle ego getting bruised cos the bum fluff on their chin isnt convincing enough to make them look 18.
My ex's dad even got ID'd for the nightclub on the stag night when we there and he was 49. He didnt have any tho but they let him in 'just this once' (think the grey hair, moustache and claiming to be the 26 year old bloke beside hims father!!
Ive got no problem being ID'd, in fact I still dont go to buy beer without checking my licence is to hand, as Im getting older and balder I like to think I still look young!  ____________________ RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Aikman666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Aikman666 World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Dec 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:45 - 01 Oct 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Aye im with you on that Nick
I work in the supermarket, so I get all the training they spew out for this stuff (although im acctually the butcher) And tbh I think they are just testing the water so they can raise the age. If they do, which seems likely it better take a few years (like 4!) and I suspect there will be a MASSIVE boom in fake ID's etc.
On the other hand the amount of tax the government makes from alcohol and a large percentage of the people who drink it are aged 18-21, they might not be so eager.
But hey! they could always pump up the tax on petrol instead.....oh wait ____________________ Will work for petrol
My Design Blog |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Louise |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Louise World Chat Champion

Joined: 22 May 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kiers |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kiers Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 29 Mar 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:55 - 01 Oct 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
hopefully its just to buy it, im sure as hell not gonna stop smoking  ____________________ 'but this wasn't any ordinary clio197.this was the SUPER DUPER version.
ooh i can't wait for the next instalment of superluke and his tales of skullduggery.' - lurker 27 sep 2008 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| growler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 growler Traffic Copper

Joined: 17 Jul 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| thegubner |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 thegubner World Chat Champion
Joined: 25 Mar 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 09:47 - 02 Oct 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Last year I was 22, I went into asda in poole with my mum when visiting her (she lives in dorset) and while she got her shopping I got a FHM mag, now at the till we were talking about weight, I quietly said that I was 14 stone, but the girl at the checkout must have heard the 14.
She asked if I could prove I was over 15!
I had a beard and tattoos on my arms were visible, I said I'm 22 love, she asked me to prove it or I could not have the mag!
Standing there while my mother explained that I was old enough was very very embarresing. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:17 - 02 Oct 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Mass boycotts? , its becoming very much like the US where supermarkets stop selling things and effectively censorship things... ____________________ Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| powelly |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 powelly World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 May 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 19 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|