Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Car trouble driving me insane...start you bastard, start!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:50 - 17 Nov 2007    Post subject: Car trouble driving me insane...start you bastard, start! Reply with quote

I am really at the end of my tether with this one, please can anyone help me diagnose the fault, as I am fast approaching a violent breakdown. Crying or Very sad

Essentially the car (Volvo 850 2litre 20V, 1994) is becoming incredibly stubborn to start. On the advice of the AA man the other day I have changed:

- Crank sensor
- Coil pack

It has made no difference.

On checking the spark from the coil to the dizzy, whilst the engine is being cranked, there is no spark, but as you stop cranking (i.e. turning the key back off) a spark appears, and looks pretty strong. Clearly the spark at this point is useless, as you have stopped cranking. Mad

The thing is, the problem can be fairly erratic - sometimes it just starts straight-away.

My partner relies on the car as her only transport - which she needs to use to ferry my 9month year old daughter around. Its really getting me super stressed out that I cant fix it, and money is pretty tight at the moment.

I reckon I'm going to have to get a mobile mechanic out to look at it unless I can sort it, does anyone know of a good one in the Southampton/Locks Heath/Fareham area?

Really appreciate anyones help with this.

Ta

Chris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

flat spot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 17 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very difficult to say without checking, but if there is potentially a spark all the time, it cranks all the time, but not at the same time I'd start by checking the ignition switch and associated wires.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:17 - 17 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/

I needed their help a few times with a old 460 I had. Volvos? Reliable? Humph.
____________________
BCF's 6th favourite poster 2009-2010

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:25 - 17 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Does it spark when you stop cranking, or as you turn the ignition off? Just that a coil works by discharging when the earth is interrupted, and would suspect this happens when power is cut to the ECU.

Anyway, suggests you are getting power to the coil but that the coil is not being triggered. So likely to be ECU / electronic ignition unit or the crankshaft position sensor, or the wires between them.

Is there just a single pickup? Some cars have 2 (one on the crank,one on a cam). Is there some kind of adjustment for the clearance from the sensor to the trigger?

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:33 - 17 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Found this:-

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/service/850/EngineTheoryOpertion.pdf

Seems it does have a seperate crank and cam position sensor. Which have you changed?

Seems the ECU does have a self dianostic function, but not easily triggered. Whether it is a standard OBD setup and you can use a generic tester I do not know.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 17 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know it has a cam sensor too (after looking at my Haynes), I only changed the crank sensor (didn't know about the cam sensor at the time).

It has an onboard fault reader/display unit, which should indicate whether there is a problem with any of the sensors. It did not show a fault with any such sensors (I only found out about this once I had changed the crank sensor), but as you say it may be that the unit has not been triggered (it did show up a fault with the battery voltage being too low - not surprising really, but I believe this is an effect, not a cause - battery on charge).

I think what I will do is go and grab the cam sensor from the srappy in the morning, change that, see if it works, and if not, I'll burn it.

Thanks!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 319 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.48 Sec - Server Load: 3.03 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 51.32 Kb