Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


The Worst Drivers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

headlamp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 10 Dec 2003    Post subject: The Worst Drivers Reply with quote

Being a Londoner, I do the majority of my riding in town, either into the West End, or round the North Circular Road. Consequently I encounter lots of drivers who are 'unfriendly' to bikers, I guess I mean assholes.

To get from A to B in London you do a lot of filtering, and on the North Circular that usually means between lanes 2 & 3. You encounter cars that decide that they need to be very near the white lines, hampering progress. A friendly rev of the engine appears to do nothing, then a hoot and they still will not pull in just a bit to let you pass. I find that Mercedes drivers (every model!) and BMW drivers, usually 5 series are the worst offenders, however Lexus drivers - usually sad people who wish they were driving a Merc but can't afford one, VW Golf drivers, either boy racers or people training to drive Mercs, and Volvo drivers are pretty bad. Question

What are other people's experiences with er, wanky drivers and whom should we watch out for.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WheelieKing
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 09 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:11 - 10 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

my experience is with school-run mums (not like that Wink) who can't see over the steering wheel and blokes in sports cars i.e MR2s who just can't be arsed to look
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 10 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually peeps in nondescript cars are okay. People in 'nice' cars (mercs, BM's etc) tend to be idiots. Usually theres a freudian explanation! Smile
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:22 - 10 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that people in very expensive sports cars tend to pull over when I am filter though, but I think that is just because they are scared of me scratching their car. I even had one person in an expensive 4x4 pull his wind mirror in for me. Exclamation Laughing

/Freudian explanation (with dodgy Austrian accent)/ dzzee people in fanzy cars think of their cars as sexual partners and are therefore feel threatened when a vehicle is able to perform better than theirs i.e. a bike can make progress through traffic. So dzzee frustrated drivers must stop the biker to make himself feel better. /freudian explanation (with dodgy Austrian accent)/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:31 - 10 Dec 2003    Post subject: Re: The Worst Drivers Reply with quote

headlamp wrote:
A friendly rev of the engine appears to do nothing, then a hoot and they still will not pull in just a bit to let you pass.


In a car, with the windows up and the stereo on, I'd say most people wouldn't hear you revving unless you've got a loud can. Especially if they're in a higher end car, which generally has better soundproofing.

I reckon lots of people have no real concept of the size of their cars, thusly don't realise they could be a foot nearer to the edge. Or it simply just doesn't enter their mind that their road position affects the path for bikes.

I actually find that quite a reasonable proportion see you coming and move out the way - and yes, this is in west London.

The Freud thing probably has something to do with it too. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:46 - 10 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rev my pizza bike up and they're so busy laughing that they have to pull over and stop Laughing . Works for me! Very Happy
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:48 - 10 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
I find that people in very expensive sports cars tend to pull over when I am filter though, but I think that is just because they are scared of me scratching their car. I even had one person in an expensive 4x4 pull his wind mirror in for me. Exclamation Laughing

/Freudian explanation (with dodgy Austrian accent)/ dzzee people in fanzy cars think of their cars as sexual partners and are therefore feel threatened when a vehicle is able to perform better than theirs i.e. a bike can make progress through traffic. So dzzee frustrated drivers must stop the biker to make himself feel better. /freudian explanation (with dodgy Austrian accent)/


I was thinking more like that they needed a big car to make up for their tiny inadequacies! Laughing
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 10 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does that say about people with litre class motorbikes. Wink Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:57 - 10 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes are a lot smaller than cars. If you had the money/could afford the insurance... GSXR1000 ?


Put it this way, I don't have a Busa, don't want a rocket III and don't want a car unless I *really* have to!


Its better than me owning an articulated lorry! Smile
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

R1stu
Shrek!



Joined: 12 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 10 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down south here our drivers tend to be better. When I am going along the roads (mainly DCW) they seem to move over in plenty of time to let me overtake/filter.

Only on a few ocasions recently have I felt like putting my foot through the door of a passing car!
____________________
Carbon closet tart! https://www.bikepics.com/members/r6stuk/02r6/
Stolen bike. 2000 R1: https://www.bikepics.com/members/r6stuk/00r1/
Current bike 1991 Honda ST1100 Pan European, 1986 Honda cb350sg (Finished)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs_Hippy
The Pink Lady



Joined: 07 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 10 Dec 2003    Post subject: Re: The Worst Drivers Reply with quote

I had a bus this morning stop and wave a padestrian across the road on a corner as I was coming up outside of him. (Plenty of room in teh turn right lane)

1 - you cant see throught a buss
2 - there is acrossing 200 yds down the road!

headlamp wrote:
Being a Londoner, I do the majority of my riding in town, either into the West End, or round the North Circular Road. Consequently I encounter lots of drivers who are 'unfriendly' to bikers, I guess I mean assholes.

To get from A to B in London you do a lot of filtering, and on the North Circular that usually means between lanes 2 & 3. You encounter cars that decide that they need to be very near the white lines, hampering progress. A friendly rev of the engine appears to do nothing, then a hoot and they still will not pull in just a bit to let you pass. I find that Mercedes drivers (every model!) and BMW drivers, usually 5 series are the worst offenders, however Lexus drivers - usually sad people who wish they were driving a Merc but can't afford one, VW Golf drivers, either boy racers or people training to drive Mercs, and Volvo drivers are pretty bad. Question

What are other people's experiences with er, wanky drivers and whom should we watch out for.

____________________
Karma - Karma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 10 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another little thing in cars is that you do naturally move around in the lane a bit according to road conditions (like holes in the tarmac or rough surface), corners, the size of the vehicle in the ajacent lane. You don't drive along always thinking about leaving a bike sized gap, and you don't know the bike is there until you see them in your mirrors - unlikely on a busy multi lane road unless you spend more time looking in your mirrors than at the road - or unless you hear them.

Yesterday I drove up to Ealing and back, from mine its about 120 mile journey. About 10 bikes filtered past me on the combination of M25 and A40. I heard one of them, which looked like an 80s kawasaki with a stubby underengine exhaust, no cans. It was very loud, and I heard it about 4 feet behind my car.

So basically you don't know a bike is behind you until its right behind you, and then before you move over to let it through you need to check its safe to move over, which can take a second at night when all you can see in your mirrors are lots and lots of headlights.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.71 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 78.45 Kb