Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Attempted theft/flat battery (Hopefully.)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:50 - 03 Dec 2007    Post subject: Attempted theft/flat battery (Hopefully.) Reply with quote

Folks.

Some bag of shite tried to steal my bike lastnight. They cut the ignition cable and tried to hotwire it but left the steering lock intact. They also removed the chain and padlock I had around the front forks, that was all they ended up getting away with.

There doesn't seem to be any damage other than to the ignition cable, my question is this: I'm hoping they just flattened the battery trying to start it without the choke, if this isn't the case; what could be fried in terms of electrics? All the fuses are intact.

(Its a CLR125)

Thanks in advance.
____________________
Didn't catch anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably won't have done any other damage. Have you wired the ignition cable back up to try to start it?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:17 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.

Thanks for the reply. Yup, its all back working, had to replace the ignition cable and the fuse in the ignition relay, (which is why it was dead.)

Unfortunately (although its just a pain) they've bents the steering lock pin, probably while trying to break it. The handlebars now lock in a slightly more 'straightened' position. I might have a look at that soon though.

The major downside is I now have to leave the bike out in the open in front of all the flats so its over looked. It was undernieth in the parking area, but no one can see it under there. I put a wee note on the two other bikes that are usually parked, I noticed they're now parked out front too. Rolling Eyes

The one evening I have an early night and this happens. I'm normally out smoking a fag as late as 2 or 3 am most mornings, I'd have definitely heard them.

Oh well, what can you do Rolling Eyes
____________________
Didn't catch anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phil_P
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pick up cheap paging alarms off fleabay, then you'd get an alert if someone messed with it.

I've just fitted an el cheapo 'Hawk' alarm on mine for about £20. No pager but it makes a handy racket if anyone messes with it. I reckon a lot of the failures that people get with alarms are down to poor installation, using splice in connectors and that sort of thing. I soldered all the wiring on mine and not had a hiccup out of it so far (touch wood).

The other thing I've got is one of these;

https://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99114&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=personal%20locater&doy=5m12

It's being used by the boy child at the moment, but when he's grown up enough to use a proper mobile, that one will be hard wired hidden on the bike. If the bike gets nicked, send a text message to the locater and it'll text back its' GPS location.
____________________
It is not enough to win, others must fail.
Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Injection '96
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 05 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing I've got on my bike is a little rape alarm. When I put the cover or chain on, I put the bit that plugs into it through a loop in either of the above,(while its making a big ole racket) then put it through the pillion foot rest little circly thing, and then reattatch it. Did have one for both sides but I lost one Mad

I did a paint Razz

https://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1466/awwyeahnm8.png

Aw yeah. Something good about a lame paint drawing coming together.

Pyro
____________________
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:07 - 06 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_P wrote:
You can pick up cheap paging alarms off fleabay, then you'd get an alert if someone messed with it.

I've just fitted an el cheapo 'Hawk' alarm on mine for about £20. No pager but it makes a handy racket if anyone messes with it. I reckon a lot of the failures that people get with alarms are down to poor installation, using splice in connectors and that sort of thing. I soldered all the wiring on mine and not had a hiccup out of it so far (touch wood).

The other thing I've got is one of these;

https://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99114&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=personal%20locater&doy=5m12

It's being used by the boy child at the moment, but when he's grown up enough to use a proper mobile, that one will be hard wired hidden on the bike. If the bike gets nicked, send a text message to the locater and it'll text back its' GPS location.

thats ace Very Happy do you put a sim card in it to receive and calls??
a decent price too Thumbs Up nice find
____________________
the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:18 - 06 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.

A friend suggested a rape alarm, that pager/tracker thing is pretty cool too. I'll have a wee look around for alarms, worth doing now I think.

The tracker would need to be out in the open to take advantage of the GPS feature, some jiggery pokery with the antenna would be needed.

I'll bodge a rape alarm in the interim.

Thumbs Up
____________________
Didn't catch anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phil_P
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:24 - 08 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmnz wrote:

thats ace Very Happy do you put a sim card in it to receive and calls??
a decent price too Thumbs Up nice find


Yup, just put a Pay as you Go sim in it. As it's hardly ever used it lasts ages. The foster child I look after isn't mega reliable, so this fills the gap for a mobile phone that really is just for emergencies, as opposed to the bling 'toys' that some parents feel obliged to give their kids. With this, I can find out just where he is at any time, and he doesn't know about that function Wink

It has no street cred, so less likely to be nicked by some scum, and even if it is I can find out exactly where it is. Also, you need to connect it to a PC to change the phone numbers that it will make calls to.
____________________
It is not enough to win, others must fail.
Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Injection '96
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:40 - 08 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_P wrote:
You can pick up cheap paging alarms off fleabay, then you'd get an alert if someone messed with it.

I've just fitted an el cheapo 'Hawk' alarm on mine for about £20. No pager but it makes a handy racket if anyone messes with it. I reckon a lot of the failures that people get with alarms are down to poor installation, using splice in connectors and that sort of thing. I soldered all the wiring on mine and not had a hiccup out of it so far (touch wood).

The other thing I've got is one of these;

https://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99114&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=personal%20locater&doy=5m12

It's being used by the boy child at the moment, but when he's grown up enough to use a proper mobile, that one will be hard wired hidden on the bike. If the bike gets nicked, send a text message to the locater and it'll text back its' GPS location.


That is absolutely excellent - well done fella! A pretty simple mod to it and you've got the exact location of your pride and joy without having to pay for Tracker!! Karma added Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phil_P
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 08 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need is a car charger and you can leave it permanently connected. If it's hidden but accessible, perhaps under a seat hump with velcro, then you have the bonus of an emergency mobby that you can programme with three useful phone numbers too, Home, mate and AA/RAC perhaps?
____________________
It is not enough to win, others must fail.
Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Injection '96
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.42 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 69.5 Kb