|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Mister James |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mister James I want to believe!

Joined: 10 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:54 - 11 Dec 2007 Post subject: Colour blindness |
 |
|
Anyone else here suffer from colour blindness of any sort?
I was diagnosed with just about every different variety of this when I was younger, which caused me huge amounts of grief because all I ever wanted to be was an officer in the military.
When I finally joined the RN, they said that my colour vision was so poor that I could only be an Engineering or Supply officer. I duly took the Admiralty Interview Board for Engineering, and when I passed and was sent for my medical, I told them not to bother with the colour test as I was effectively as blind as a bat. They said they had to do it anyway, and so I took the 'Lantern Test' (2 tiny little lights on the other side of a dark room, they turn various colours to represent ships's running lights on the horizon at night) and passed it 100%.
"Oh, I hope that doesn't affect your career choice".
Arse biscuits - I had to take the AIB all over again for warfare - which is a much higher pass mark.
Anyway, since then it hadn't even crossed my mind, until 10 years later (last week) when I had to take a medical for a job that - against all the odds - I had got through to the final stages of recruitment for. Nothing on the advert had suggested colour vision was required - I suspect that it's rare enough that it's not an issue for most people?
Needless to say, I flunked it - and the company have no job-specific tests, so I have to wait and see whether they will make 'reasonable adjustments' to the role to allow me to take up the position.
It's all made doubly frustrating by the fact that - to all intents and purposes in every day life - I'm not colour blind! I can see red/green/blue quite clearly, spent 3 years of my RNR career navigating ships at night, have never accidentally jumped a red light, etc etc etc!
The job specification involves reading train signals in tunnels with no weather and at short distances - which I'm perfectly capable of doing, especially as I could previous read ship's lights at distance in all conditions, from a moving deck!
[/rant]
Edit: People with normal colour vision beware - I'm considering a purge. ____________________ >Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:09 - 11 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yes , whenever I go out riding I constantly see red (psychologically) , (its a Y chromasome thing) probably why women don't get it
EDIT
Hold on you are getting sick of being a screw and you are going elsewhere? , maybe you should get that cheaty phone camera java app which tells you in words what colour things are I forget where it was and gave even less thought to it since I'm not colour blind. ____________________ Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scotch Bonnet |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scotch Bonnet Scooby Slapper

Joined: 23 Jul 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mister James |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mister James I want to believe!

Joined: 10 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:44 - 11 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm bored and frustrated where I am, and the pay is pretty dreadful for what I do. I applied to this job on a slow rest day, with no real intent to follow it up - but as work got worse and I got further down the line of the assessments, I actually started taking an interest!
I'm looking to join the police at some point in the future, but even if they pull their finger out I'm looking at a 12 months wait - this job looks more interesting than what I do now, pays far more, means less hours and more benefits, etc. A change is as good as a rest, and all that. Once I finish training, it will mean around £900 extra in my pocket every month - for 7hrs a week less work! ____________________ >Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| silky666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 silky666 Captain Rulebook

Joined: 28 Aug 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mister James |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mister James I want to believe!

Joined: 10 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| st3v3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 st3v3 Super Spammer

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Weedy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Weedy World Chat Champion
Joined: 16 Feb 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Handsome |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Handsome World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:03 - 11 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Fancy a game of snooker ? ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Skudd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Skudd Super Spammer

Joined: 01 Oct 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teaman World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Dec 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:22 - 11 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Red green here,
I just get on with life and try and accept the fact that anyone who doesnt have it will never understand it.
you get oblivious to the questions of
"what colour is this?" Red,
"what colour is this?" Green,
"Well your not colour blind are you"
you can slap everyone.
I know its not a full on dissability but you do get your fair share of peoples ignorance to it.
I find that I dont really have much difficulty in life and get added bonus things like getting out of selecting what colours everything in the house should be cos some pinks loo blue, some greens are brown and what the F****ng hell is mauve?
I wonk on the pricipal that most colours to me look better and the crappy ones just merge into drab  ____________________ There is no point in ranting about someone stupid because there is nothing u can do about it. There is no cure for stupid.
Someone stupid does not realise they r stupid.stupidity is indistinguishable from malice U just have to accept that some people are thick as p1gsh1t and work around them. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| queen of string |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 queen of string World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:22 - 11 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
my OH is colour blind, doesn't matter much day to day, just means he never does electrics, occassionally asks me " what colour is this (waves thing) exactly?" and it's completely pointless to ask the question "which of these shades of cream paint do you prefer?" . Likely answer " how should I f ing know?". Carpet choice is also interesting, he gets to choose on texture while I do the colour bit .
EDIT just see the above post, i didn't realise he was on the other puter  ____________________ "Eat food, not edible, food-like items. Mostly plants." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scotch Bonnet |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scotch Bonnet Scooby Slapper

Joined: 23 Jul 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| J0Al1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 J0Al1 World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Nov 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ram_doom |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ram_doom World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Mar 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:54 - 12 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
In school I took a test and they advised me never to be an electrician due to colour blindness but have to say, I never have a problem with shades etc.
Is there a free test available online? The ones I'm finding required payment guess I could always look at GSXR mick's leathers and answer the question; "would I wear them?"  ____________________ TL1000s, KDX200 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Skudd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Skudd Super Spammer

Joined: 01 Oct 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mister James |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mister James I want to believe!

Joined: 10 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 18 years, 299 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|