Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Colour blindness

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:54 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Colour blindness Reply with quote

Anyone else here suffer from colour blindness of any sort?

I was diagnosed with just about every different variety of this when I was younger, which caused me huge amounts of grief because all I ever wanted to be was an officer in the military.

When I finally joined the RN, they said that my colour vision was so poor that I could only be an Engineering or Supply officer. I duly took the Admiralty Interview Board for Engineering, and when I passed and was sent for my medical, I told them not to bother with the colour test as I was effectively as blind as a bat. They said they had to do it anyway, and so I took the 'Lantern Test' (2 tiny little lights on the other side of a dark room, they turn various colours to represent ships's running lights on the horizon at night) and passed it 100%.

"Oh, I hope that doesn't affect your career choice".

Arse biscuits - I had to take the AIB all over again for warfare - which is a much higher pass mark.

Anyway, since then it hadn't even crossed my mind, until 10 years later (last week) when I had to take a medical for a job that - against all the odds - I had got through to the final stages of recruitment for. Nothing on the advert had suggested colour vision was required - I suspect that it's rare enough that it's not an issue for most people?

Needless to say, I flunked it - and the company have no job-specific tests, so I have to wait and see whether they will make 'reasonable adjustments' to the role to allow me to take up the position.

It's all made doubly frustrating by the fact that - to all intents and purposes in every day life - I'm not colour blind! I can see red/green/blue quite clearly, spent 3 years of my RNR career navigating ships at night, have never accidentally jumped a red light, etc etc etc!

The job specification involves reading train signals in tunnels with no weather and at short distances - which I'm perfectly capable of doing, especially as I could previous read ship's lights at distance in all conditions, from a moving deck!

[/rant]

Edit: People with normal colour vision beware - I'm considering a purge.
____________________
>Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:09 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , whenever I go out riding I constantly see red (psychologically) , (its a Y chromasome thing) probably why women don't get it

EDIT

Hold on you are getting sick of being a screw and you are going elsewhere? , maybe you should get that cheaty phone camera java app which tells you in words what colour things are I forget where it was and gave even less thought to it since I'm not colour blind.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotch Bonnet
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mildly Red/Green here, never enough to cause a problem in day-to-day thigs, but i'll have trouble reading red text on a green backround, for instance.

Never been an issue for getting a job, but it did mean that school was fun, with a seemingly endless stream of people picking up red things and saying "so, what colour's this then?"
____________________
Hmmmm..... is it supposed to do that?
2001 CB500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:44 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bored and frustrated where I am, and the pay is pretty dreadful for what I do. I applied to this job on a slow rest day, with no real intent to follow it up - but as work got worse and I got further down the line of the assessments, I actually started taking an interest!

I'm looking to join the police at some point in the future, but even if they pull their finger out I'm looking at a 12 months wait - this job looks more interesting than what I do now, pays far more, means less hours and more benefits, etc. A change is as good as a rest, and all that. Once I finish training, it will mean around £900 extra in my pocket every month - for 7hrs a week less work!
____________________
>Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

silky666
Captain Rulebook



Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a bloke at work that sees in greyscale - now that is proper colour blindness.
____________________
There's nothing that shouts "Poor Workmanship" more than wrinkles in the Gaffa tape.

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:22 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye - thankfully, that is the only bar to joining the police, and I don't have it.
____________________
>Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:36 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be colour blind test you could get to check these things.......

https://colorvisiontesting.com/online%20test.htm#demonstration%20card%20answer

https://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.html

Interesting..,plus I already knew I weren't.
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Weedy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

silky666 wrote:
there is a bloke at work that sees in greyscale - now that is proper colour blindness.


I read about a guy who'd seen in grey scale since birth. His girlfriend found out that if he has coloured lenses in glasses (I think it was one red lense, one green lense) he can see all the colours fine. He could only wear the glasses for 1-2 hours at a time to start with though because the amount of vivid colours made him feel quite ill. Thumbs Up
____________________
<CBT passed 16th Sept 2007><Theory Test passed 11th Oct 2007><Practical Test passed 19th Apr 2008>
OWNED: 2008 Aprilia Pegaso Strada CURRENT: Bikeless :'(
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my life, I find it hard to tell the difference between some Blues and Purples, some Greens and Browns and some Yellows and Oranges, shades I mean...

Pisses me off when some idiot doesn't believe you and asks what colour so and so is, fucks sake I could just obviously lie if I wanted...
____________________
Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:03 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fancy a game of snooker Laughing?
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood colour blindness. If you look at some grass and you see it as red then you know red is green so next time you see red you know it is green so you don't know red is red as it is really green. Red might be blue but you see blue but have been told it is red so blue is red.
So no matter what colour your mind sees it is the correct colour for whayt you are seeing.
I think I have explained what I was thinking.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I've never understood colour blindness. If you look at some grass and you see it as red then you know red is green so next time you see red you know it is green so you don't know red is red as it is really green. Red might be blue but you see blue but have been told it is red so blue is red.
So no matter what colour your mind sees it is the correct colour for whayt you are seeing.
I think I have explained what I was thinking.


Not even slightly.

You are either discussing the simple bit of mind fuck used by philosophers and thought up by anyone with half a brain (i know i remember thinking and asking a teacher when i were a wee'un) that we could see colours completely differently from each other and never know, because they are labelled the same thing. Indeed its been hypothesised it could explain alot psychologically as some colours induce calm etc.

Colourblind as far is i understand it is a lack of being able to distinguish between colours due to a lack of pigmentation in the retina or something similar. Hence my snooker crack. They will still be able to see every ball on the table, but most people who are colourblind are Red/Green so would struggle to distinguish balls apart.
I think you can get in extremis things of a certain colour not being clocked at all, but for the most part i think its more like trying to print out a graph with multi coloured lines on a black and white printer.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teaman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:22 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red green here,

I just get on with life and try and accept the fact that anyone who doesnt have it will never understand it.
you get oblivious to the questions of
"what colour is this?" Red,
"what colour is this?" Green,
"Well your not colour blind are you"
you can slap everyone.
I know its not a full on dissability but you do get your fair share of peoples ignorance to it.

I find that I dont really have much difficulty in life and get added bonus things like getting out of selecting what colours everything in the house should be cos some pinks loo blue, some greens are brown and what the F****ng hell is mauve?


I wonk on the pricipal that most colours to me look better and the crappy ones just merge into drab Smile
____________________
There is no point in ranting about someone stupid because there is nothing u can do about it. There is no cure for stupid.
Someone stupid does not realise they r stupid.stupidity is indistinguishable from malice U just have to accept that some people are thick as p1gsh1t and work around them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

queen of string
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:22 - 11 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

my OH is colour blind, doesn't matter much day to day, just means he never does electrics, occassionally asks me " what colour is this (waves thing) exactly?" and it's completely pointless to ask the question "which of these shades of cream paint do you prefer?" . Likely answer " how should I f ing know?". Carpet choice is also interesting, he gets to choose on texture while I do the colour bit Very Happy .

EDIT just see the above post, i didn't realise he was on the other puter Embarassed
____________________
"Eat food, not edible, food-like items. Mostly plants."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotch Bonnet
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:16 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
Colourblind as far is i understand it is a lack of being able to distinguish between colours due to a lack of pigmentation in the retina or something similar.

In terms of the end result, basically all reds and greens l(in my case) look closer to brown than they actually are. if it was red/blue, i guess they;d all look more purple.
As i understand it, it's not so much due to a lack of pigments as a different pigment meaning that the 'cone' cells that detect those wavelenghts are tuned to a different frequency.
My biology A-level and failed degree were a few years ago now, though Smile
____________________
Hmmmm..... is it supposed to do that?
2001 CB500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J0Al1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:41 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know what the world looks like to a colour-blind person.

https://colorvisiontesting.com/what%20colorblind%20people%20see.htm

Interesting.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ram_doom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:54 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

In school I took a test and they advised me never to be an electrician due to colour blindness Laughing but have to say, I never have a problem with shades etc.

Is there a free test available online? The ones I'm finding required payment Rolling Eyes guess I could always look at GSXR mick's leathers and answer the question; "would I wear them?" Razz
____________________
TL1000s, KDX200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:08 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
Skudd wrote:
I've never understood colour blindness. If you look at some grass and you see it as red then you know red is green so next time you see red you know it is green so you don't know red is red as it is really green. Red might be blue but you see blue but have been told it is red so blue is red.
So no matter what colour your mind sees it is the correct colour for whayt you are seeing.
I think I have explained what I was thinking.


Not even slightly.

You are either discussing the simple bit of mind fuck used by philosophers and thought up by anyone with half a brain (i know i remember thinking and asking a teacher when i were a wee'un) that we could see colours completely differently from each other and never know, because they are labelled the same thing. Indeed its been hypothesised it could explain alot psychologically as some colours induce calm etc.

Colourblind as far is i understand it is a lack of being able to distinguish between colours due to a lack of pigmentation in the retina or something similar. Hence my snooker crack. They will still be able to see every ball on the table, but most people who are colourblind are Red/Green so would struggle to distinguish balls apart.
I think you can get in extremis things of a certain colour not being clocked at all, but for the most part i think its more like trying to print out a graph with multi coloured lines on a black and white printer.


No! I honestly don't understand it. I can understand most things but colour blindness doesn't make sense. Long sighted or short sighted makes sense. But not being colour blind I find it hard to comprehend.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:13 - 12 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:


No! I honestly don't understand it. I can understand most things but colour blindness doesn't make sense. Long sighted or short sighted makes sense. But not being colour blind I find it hard to comprehend.


See monkeypies link like two posts up
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:05 - 13 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most of us, I suspect it's not a huge issue. I honestly don't notice it in day-to-day life, I know what's red and what's green. I assume that there are sometimes situations where I miss certain shades of either, but it's not noticeable in anything but the tests.
____________________
>Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 299 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.52 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 118.37 Kb