|
|
| Author |
Message |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:33 - 24 Dec 2007 Post subject: Printing large pictures from linux |
 |
|
I have my image, I want to print it. The printer is hooked up and appears to be working.
I can however see no way of getting it to print my image at full size.
This would mean it extending to several pieces of paper (3 pieces to be exact). Everything I try shrinks the picture to fit on a single sheet of A4 before printing. I don't want it to do this, I want it on three bits of paper.
How do I get it to print my long, fairly narrow picture across three seperate sheets of paper in full size (which I then intend to mount in an arty fashion) instead of shrinking it to a tiny size and squeezing it onto a single sheet?
I must be missing something obvious? I surely don't have to chop my image up into three seperate ones and print them individually? (I'm nearly at that point and if that's what I have to do I'm going to be a very angry person who is going to take his pictures into work on a CD and use a microsoft program!)
I've been mainly trying with the GIMP but anything else seems to do the same thing.
Ubuntu Feisty printing onto an Epson C44 printer. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mr.z |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mr.z World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 02:38 - 25 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
https://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/
This is very handy, although I'm fairly sure its a windows only deal theres a facility to split images online.
Will eventually get around to a wall sized pic, there examples on there that are pretty damn cool.
I'm on suse right now, ubuntu wasn't stable for me for some reason (hanging on firefox opening and at random intervals) this seems to be working great though  ____________________ >RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes< |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 12:34 - 25 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Looks useful. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to want to upload my 46Mb .tif file. I cannot think why
It looks like the only way to do it is to split the image manually. Hey ho!
In hindsight, I was probably going to have to do this anyway to get the 'splits' in the places I want them. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:37 - 25 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
ok. linux printer drivers suck balls when it comes to printing out images that run to more than one page.
I just did it on MS paint with no effort at all, it even centred the image across the three pages which is what I wanted it to do (ie, big bit in the middle, two smaller bits on either end).
That said. The XP computer I am on at work now has a much faster processor and DOUBLE the ram of my home PC yet I had to split my image into three parts to stop it throwing a tantrum about running out of memory.
So linux is the winner for being able to handle the big scary picture without crashing (and for sticking and blending 13 standard photos together in the first place). It went REALLY slowly but did the job. MS is the winner for being able to print it in a sensible manner, but only after linux has metaphorically "Cut up its food" for it. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mr.z |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mr.z World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:57 - 25 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
Shatin eck! thats quite large!
TIF files are a bit of a git to work on unless you have an almost bottomless pit of ram, even on a proper mac design workstation :/
Tended to use photoshops own built in format and it was quite happy with that right upto 120mb files even on this old shitbox.
Windows is getting progressively more porky and sluggish despite faster machines, like modern cars, 20kg more for every 1bhp more the engines put out.. ____________________ >RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes< |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:20 - 26 Dec 2007 Post subject: |
 |
|
In all honesty, the amount of messing about I've landed up doing with this image, it's a good job I used .TIF. If I'd have been working with jpegs, I'd probably have had an eight foot long grey rectangle by now ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bazza |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bazza World Chat Champion
Joined: 27 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 18 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|