Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Printing large pictures from linux

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 24 Dec 2007    Post subject: Printing large pictures from linux Reply with quote

I have my image, I want to print it. The printer is hooked up and appears to be working.

I can however see no way of getting it to print my image at full size.

This would mean it extending to several pieces of paper (3 pieces to be exact). Everything I try shrinks the picture to fit on a single sheet of A4 before printing. I don't want it to do this, I want it on three bits of paper.

How do I get it to print my long, fairly narrow picture across three seperate sheets of paper in full size (which I then intend to mount in an arty fashion) instead of shrinking it to a tiny size and squeezing it onto a single sheet?

I must be missing something obvious? I surely don't have to chop my image up into three seperate ones and print them individually? (I'm nearly at that point and if that's what I have to do I'm going to be a very angry person who is going to take his pictures into work on a CD and use a microsoft program!)

I've been mainly trying with the GIMP but anything else seems to do the same thing.

Ubuntu Feisty printing onto an Epson C44 printer.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:38 - 25 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

This is very handy, although I'm fairly sure its a windows only deal theres a facility to split images online.

Will eventually get around to a wall sized pic, there examples on there that are pretty damn cool.

I'm on suse right now, ubuntu wasn't stable for me for some reason (hanging on firefox opening and at random intervals) this seems to be working great though Smile
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 25 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks useful. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to want to upload my 46Mb .tif file. I cannot think why Laughing

It looks like the only way to do it is to split the image manually. Hey ho!

In hindsight, I was probably going to have to do this anyway to get the 'splits' in the places I want them.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 25 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. linux printer drivers suck balls when it comes to printing out images that run to more than one page.

I just did it on MS paint with no effort at all, it even centred the image across the three pages which is what I wanted it to do (ie, big bit in the middle, two smaller bits on either end).

That said. The XP computer I am on at work now has a much faster processor and DOUBLE the ram of my home PC yet I had to split my image into three parts to stop it throwing a tantrum about running out of memory.

So linux is the winner for being able to handle the big scary picture without crashing (and for sticking and blending 13 standard photos together in the first place). It went REALLY slowly but did the job. MS is the winner for being able to print it in a sensible manner, but only after linux has metaphorically "Cut up its food" for it.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:57 - 25 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shatin eck! thats quite large!
TIF files are a bit of a git to work on unless you have an almost bottomless pit of ram, even on a proper mac design workstation :/

Tended to use photoshops own built in format and it was quite happy with that right upto 120mb files even on this old shitbox.

Windows is getting progressively more porky and sluggish despite faster machines, like modern cars, 20kg more for every 1bhp more the engines put out..
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:20 - 26 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty, the amount of messing about I've landed up doing with this image, it's a good job I used .TIF. If I'd have been working with jpegs, I'd probably have had an eight foot long grey rectangle by now
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:04 - 26 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
In all honesty, the amount of messing about I've landed up doing with this image, it's a good job I used .TIF. If I'd have been working with jpegs, I'd probably have had an eight foot long grey rectangle by now


You could pretend it's the view from the london eye on a foggy day...
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.27 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 55.76 Kb