|
|
| Author |
Message |
| gs5pete |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 gs5pete Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 27 Feb 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:31 - 27 Jan 2008 Post subject: sold bike on ebay - something seems not quite right |
 |
|
Okay, I guess I'm being paranoid but I've had my gs on ebay. Had a few enquiries and viewings from reasonably local people (<50 miles), which have elicited a few bids. All well and good.
Now, my bike is no stunner and I've made it quite clear in the auction description that there are some cosmetic faults (rust, scratches, some bubbling on engine etc) and I'd much prefer people to view it.
All going well, top bidder has asked questions (though not viewed). Then in last few seconds comes the winning bid for £1020 from someone with feedback +2 (both as a buyer) from Southampton (bike is in Birmingham)...
so who spends a grand on a 5 year old GS500 which even the owner admits is a mess without viewing it or asking any questions?
I contacted him through the ebay form last night and today he emailed to say he'll collect. I've politely told him only cash will do (no response on that front). What can go wrong? if nothing, why am I worrying like a little girl? (no offence intended to little girl readers of BCF).
All I can think of is that
1. he's genuine and is rich enough and/or desperate enough for a run around he really did just spend £1000 on my winter work horse.
or 2. he's going to show up and start haggling (in which case I tell him to f*** off).
not so bad, but my "gut feeling" is that something's up.
any pearls of wisdom from the learned BCF members? ____________________ past bikes: KX125, CG125 (first road bike, used to pass test on), GS500 (first proper bike). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr Nice Guy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr Nice Guy World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:35 - 27 Jan 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Didnt you have one of those "people with less than x feedback, contact me before bidding or dont bid at all you slabbering pissbag" thingies?? ____________________ Suzuki GSX-R750K4 ~ Mivv GP |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| spikenipple |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 spikenipple Crazy Courier

Joined: 20 Nov 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Timmeh |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Timmeh World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Nov 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| gs5pete |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 gs5pete Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 27 Feb 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:46 - 27 Jan 2008 Post subject: Re: sold bike on ebay - something seems not quite right |
 |
|
| Spikenipple wrote: | | gs5pete wrote: |
2. he's going to show up and start haggling (in which case I tell him to f*** off). |
There's always the chance that he bid that high with the intention to haggle when he comes to collect it.
If you're surprised the price ended that high, then I can't see a problem with him haggling it down a bit. |
I was expecting about £1000 from someone local who could view it (FWIW Parker's used "poor" price is £1200). I'm pretty sure the guy with the second highest bid (£1000) would have gone through with the transaction so I'll be a bit annoyed if this guy turns up and says "I've driven 150 miles from Southampton, please please please can I have it for £800" or something stupid.
I should also say, when I sold my CG125, the guy turned up and pointed out some faults, which I was pretty sure I'd listed in the auction. He managed to convince me I hadn't (I didn't have internet access to check) and knocked a decent whack off, with me actually apologising for him driving out to find the bike not as described. Of course, I /had/ listed them clearly and he was just trying it on. Ever since have decided I'm not being screwed over by people turning up and haggling. ____________________ past bikes: KX125, CG125 (first road bike, used to pass test on), GS500 (first proper bike). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dwayne_101 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dwayne_101 Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 06 Nov 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| gs5pete |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 gs5pete Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 27 Feb 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kal |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kal World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Jan 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| faddius |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 faddius Traffic Copper

Joined: 16 Jun 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:56 - 27 Jan 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Check the cash if he comes with cash - get one of those testing pens or hold a few up to the light to check the watermark.
Id also suggest trying to get a friend round incase things do go wrong, they start haggling, get upset / aggravated / try intimidating you to sell for 29p.
Check his ID - name and address - from legitimate ID. Ensure its that name and address that goes onto the V5.
Do not give him the other half of the V5 that needs sending off till you pay cash into the bank and its checked, that way if it is dodgy, you can go to the cops, claim ownership of the bike as you havent sent it away, show the dodgy money and you have his name and address.
If he turns up with friends, tread carefully. I dont know what your morals are like, but I have no issue with having a knife in my back pocket.
If he comes back soon after hes left, dont answer, its only going to lead to problem.
I know some may take what I say as a bit extreme, but ive had those experiances and luckily due to my paranoia I was able to prepare to get out of them. For instance, a bunch of chavs who turned up to look at a bike, about 5 of them. Luckily, I had ensured I had a couple of friends round, and we had "honestly been playing baseball in the garden, all 3 of us were taking turns batting at the same time". ____________________ Children in the back of cars cause accidents : Accidents in the back of cars cause children
Riding since OCT '05 - Sym Jet 50cc, Honda Varadero 125cc, Suzuki GS500, Honda VFR750, SV650s current & in posession of Aprilia RS125, Honda NS125R |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Madmanx |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Madmanx World Chat Champion

Joined: 22 Dec 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:18 - 28 Jan 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I bought these two off e-bay without seeing them and they were in Leeds and Windemere,(I,m on the Isle of Man)so there is buyers like me out there.
He might just be one of them .
Let him know there is no haggling by e-mail before he collects and paypal a deposit or pay in full. ____________________ https://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/manxhornet/Hornet001.jpg |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| faddius |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 faddius Traffic Copper

Joined: 16 Jun 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Madmanx |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Madmanx World Chat Champion

Joined: 22 Dec 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| J.K.R |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 J.K.R World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| faddius |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 faddius Traffic Copper

Joined: 16 Jun 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jimbothe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jimbothe World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Sep 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:41 - 28 Jan 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I had a guy travel down 260 miles by train to buy my '99 Transalp off ebay and he only based it on the pictures. He rode it home
Dont worry about distance, some people will pay more than the odds if the bikes looks like 'the one for them'. They will also travel hundreds of miles.
I travelled 150 miles to look at a fzr1000 advertised in the Autotrader and it was a pile of crap so I just came home again.
My point being, it is not out of the ordinary for people to travel to pick up what they see as a bargain  ____________________ Check out our tackle shop on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/JklTackle |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jimbothe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jimbothe World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Sep 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ZRX61 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ZRX61 Victor Meldrew
Joined: 05 Nov 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| faddius |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 faddius Traffic Copper

Joined: 16 Jun 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Madmanx |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Madmanx World Chat Champion

Joined: 22 Dec 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:52 - 28 Jan 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
How do you get on with that headlight on the Hornet? I bought one from M&P, it was called the 'demon'. I found the lights rubbish at any distance but liked the look of it. [/quote]
Piss poor illumination, I,m converting the holders to take decent bulbs.H4,s probably a set of neons knowing me.
Thats it when I got it. ____________________ https://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/manxhornet/Hornet001.jpg |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jimbothe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jimbothe World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Sep 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:55 - 28 Jan 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I still have most of my light unit here so if you break anything converting it then pm me and you can have whats here  ____________________ Check out our tackle shop on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/JklTackle |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Madmanx |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Madmanx World Chat Champion

Joined: 22 Dec 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ZRX61 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ZRX61 Victor Meldrew
Joined: 05 Nov 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| faddius |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 faddius Traffic Copper

Joined: 16 Jun 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| gs5pete |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 gs5pete Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 27 Feb 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:02 - 28 Jan 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
| faddius wrote: | Check the cash if he comes with cash - get one of those testing pens or hold a few up to the light to check the watermark.
Id also suggest trying to get a friend round incase things do go wrong, they start haggling, get upset / aggravated / try intimidating you to sell for 29p.
Check his ID - name and address - from legitimate ID. Ensure its that name and address that goes onto the V5.
Do not give him the other half of the V5 that needs sending off till you pay cash into the bank and its checked, that way if it is dodgy, you can go to the cops, claim ownership of the bike as you havent sent it away, show the dodgy money and you have his name and address.
If he turns up with friends, tread carefully. I dont know what your morals are like, but I have no issue with having a knife in my back pocket.
If he comes back soon after hes left, dont answer, its only going to lead to problem.
I know some may take what I say as a bit extreme, but ive had those experiances and luckily due to my paranoia I was able to prepare to get out of them. For instance, a bunch of chavs who turned up to look at a bike, about 5 of them. Luckily, I had ensured I had a couple of friends round, and we had "honestly been playing baseball in the garden, all 3 of us were taking turns batting at the same time". |
thanks, good advice, I'll try and get the pen. Things like this had crossed my mind but then I kept telling myself "no one would go through that much trouble to rob a ratty GS". I told him I could arrange time off work for him to pick up.. will have to see if any friends can just happen to be there too.
Cheers guys for the posts saying I've got nothing to worry about.. I know there are genuine buyers who travel long distances but I just have a bad gut feeling about this (which I haven't had when buying or selling expensive stuff on ebay before).
As of now, I haven't heard from him since I sent the email saying I wouldn't release the bike without cash.. strange since his email yesterday morning said he wanted to collect on Sunday afternoon!
p.s. the hornet looks rather nice. ____________________ past bikes: KX125, CG125 (first road bike, used to pass test on), GS500 (first proper bike). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 18 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|