Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


sold bike on ebay - something seems not quite right

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

gs5pete
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:31 - 27 Jan 2008    Post subject: sold bike on ebay - something seems not quite right Reply with quote

Okay, I guess I'm being paranoid but I've had my gs on ebay. Had a few enquiries and viewings from reasonably local people (<50 miles), which have elicited a few bids. All well and good.

Now, my bike is no stunner and I've made it quite clear in the auction description that there are some cosmetic faults (rust, scratches, some bubbling on engine etc) and I'd much prefer people to view it.

All going well, top bidder has asked questions (though not viewed). Then in last few seconds comes the winning bid for £1020 from someone with feedback +2 (both as a buyer) from Southampton (bike is in Birmingham)...
so who spends a grand on a 5 year old GS500 which even the owner admits is a mess without viewing it or asking any questions?

I contacted him through the ebay form last night and today he emailed to say he'll collect. I've politely told him only cash will do (no response on that front). What can go wrong? if nothing, why am I worrying like a little girl? (no offence intended to little girl readers of BCF).
All I can think of is that
1. he's genuine and is rich enough and/or desperate enough for a run around he really did just spend £1000 on my winter work horse.
or 2. he's going to show up and start haggling (in which case I tell him to f*** off).

not so bad, but my "gut feeling" is that something's up.

any pearls of wisdom from the learned BCF members?
____________________
past bikes: KX125, CG125 (first road bike, used to pass test on), GS500 (first proper bike).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Nice Guy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 27 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt you have one of those "people with less than x feedback, contact me before bidding or dont bid at all you slabbering pissbag" thingies??
____________________
Suzuki GSX-R750K4 ~ Mivv GP
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spikenipple
Crazy Courier



Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 27 Jan 2008    Post subject: Re: sold bike on ebay - something seems not quite right Reply with quote

gs5pete wrote:

2. he's going to show up and start haggling (in which case I tell him to f*** off).


There's always the chance that he bid that high with the intention to haggle when he comes to collect it.
If you're surprised the price ended that high, then I can't see a problem with him haggling it down a bit.
____________________
C50 > GN250 > XJ600 > SV650S K7 > 2001 RSV Mille R > MT-09, XR400R > 2005 Fireblade (trackbike) + 2022 MT-09 + ZXR400 race bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Timmeh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 27 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a 250 mile round-trip in a van to get my Gixxer, which was also won off eBay.

I think you're being well paranoid. I rarely ask questions about the stuff I'm buying, and if the description's not good or it has rubbish/stock photos I won't bid on it.
____________________
GSXR400 x2 | '94 RVF400 | '93 TZR125 4DL (again)
20:22:30 BLUEX5: i would love to be forced to undergo a**l plugging with different sizes
20:48:18 Temeluchus: comp you hunk of smouldering homos3x you
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gs5pete
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:46 - 27 Jan 2008    Post subject: Re: sold bike on ebay - something seems not quite right Reply with quote

Spikenipple wrote:
gs5pete wrote:

2. he's going to show up and start haggling (in which case I tell him to f*** off).


There's always the chance that he bid that high with the intention to haggle when he comes to collect it.
If you're surprised the price ended that high, then I can't see a problem with him haggling it down a bit.


I was expecting about £1000 from someone local who could view it (FWIW Parker's used "poor" price is £1200). I'm pretty sure the guy with the second highest bid (£1000) would have gone through with the transaction so I'll be a bit annoyed if this guy turns up and says "I've driven 150 miles from Southampton, please please please can I have it for £800" or something stupid.

I should also say, when I sold my CG125, the guy turned up and pointed out some faults, which I was pretty sure I'd listed in the auction. He managed to convince me I hadn't (I didn't have internet access to check) and knocked a decent whack off, with me actually apologising for him driving out to find the bike not as described. Of course, I /had/ listed them clearly and he was just trying it on. Ever since have decided I'm not being screwed over by people turning up and haggling.
____________________
past bikes: KX125, CG125 (first road bike, used to pass test on), GS500 (first proper bike).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dwayne_101
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 06 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 27 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never use ebay becuase i used it twice and both times had bad things but thats just me...

sold my ps3 on ebay and he wanted it shipping to someone call john doe 200 miles from his address

and bought a sav nav which didnt come with half the things but the selling resent them out.

but if you see the cash before you let it go you cant go wrong.
____________________
looking at getting a full uk licence, after 3 cbt's bored of doing them
selling a burgman 125 03 plate soon
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gs5pete
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 27 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Nice Guy: I only set it to >= 0, I think you can also set it >=5..

Timmeh: thanks for the reassurance, I guess we're all different and some people just assume it's okay. I s'ppose the bikes got full ticket and perhaps that's all the guy cares about.

Dwayne: I haven't been as unlucky as you, but I think ebay is increasingly becoming a lair for scammers etc..
____________________
past bikes: KX125, CG125 (first road bike, used to pass test on), GS500 (first proper bike).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:52 - 27 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he haggles then turn him away and offer the second bidder a second chance.

Oh and open a dispute on his arse.
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

faddius
Traffic Copper



Joined: 16 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:56 - 27 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the cash if he comes with cash - get one of those testing pens or hold a few up to the light to check the watermark.

Id also suggest trying to get a friend round incase things do go wrong, they start haggling, get upset / aggravated / try intimidating you to sell for 29p.

Check his ID - name and address - from legitimate ID. Ensure its that name and address that goes onto the V5.

Do not give him the other half of the V5 that needs sending off till you pay cash into the bank and its checked, that way if it is dodgy, you can go to the cops, claim ownership of the bike as you havent sent it away, show the dodgy money and you have his name and address.

If he turns up with friends, tread carefully. I dont know what your morals are like, but I have no issue with having a knife in my back pocket.

If he comes back soon after hes left, dont answer, its only going to lead to problem.





I know some may take what I say as a bit extreme, but ive had those experiances and luckily due to my paranoia I was able to prepare to get out of them. For instance, a bunch of chavs who turned up to look at a bike, about 5 of them. Luckily, I had ensured I had a couple of friends round, and we had "honestly been playing baseball in the garden, all 3 of us were taking turns batting at the same time".
____________________
Children in the back of cars cause accidents : Accidents in the back of cars cause children
Riding since OCT '05 - Sym Jet 50cc, Honda Varadero 125cc, Suzuki GS500, Honda VFR750, SV650s current & in posession of Aprilia RS125, Honda NS125R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Madmanx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:18 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought these two off e-bay without seeing them and they were in Leeds and Windemere,(I,m on the Isle of Man)so there is buyers like me out there.
He might just be one of them .
Let him know there is no haggling by e-mail before he collects and paypal a deposit or pay in full.
____________________
https://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/manxhornet/Hornet001.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

faddius
Traffic Copper



Joined: 16 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:25 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

That hondas nice, is it a modded hornet?
____________________
Children in the back of cars cause accidents : Accidents in the back of cars cause children
Riding since OCT '05 - Sym Jet 50cc, Honda Varadero 125cc, Suzuki GS500, Honda VFR750, SV650s current & in posession of Aprilia RS125, Honda NS125R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Madmanx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:31 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

faddius wrote:
That hondas nice, is it a modded hornet?


It,s thread is in the pictures section from whenI first got it. "Isle of Man Hornet" (don,t know how to attach the thread?)Thanks Thumbs Up
____________________
https://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/manxhornet/Hornet001.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

J.K.R
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:32 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

faddius wrote:
That hondas nice, is it a tarted hornet?


Yep Wink
____________________
www.oldskoolsuzuki.info
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

faddius
Traffic Copper



Joined: 16 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:41 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really is the sex wee isnt it.

I want it vibrating against my genitalia.
____________________
Children in the back of cars cause accidents : Accidents in the back of cars cause children
Riding since OCT '05 - Sym Jet 50cc, Honda Varadero 125cc, Suzuki GS500, Honda VFR750, SV650s current & in posession of Aprilia RS125, Honda NS125R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jimbothe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:41 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a guy travel down 260 miles by train to buy my '99 Transalp off ebay and he only based it on the pictures. He rode it home Thumbs Up

Dont worry about distance, some people will pay more than the odds if the bikes looks like 'the one for them'. They will also travel hundreds of miles.

I travelled 150 miles to look at a fzr1000 advertised in the Autotrader and it was a pile of crap so I just came home again.

My point being, it is not out of the ordinary for people to travel to pick up what they see as a bargain Thumbs Up
____________________
Check out our tackle shop on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/JklTackle
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jimbothe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:44 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

manxscot wrote:
I bought these two off e-bay without seeing them and they were in Leeds and Windemere,(I,m on the Isle of Man)so there is buyers like me out there.
He might just be one of them .
Let him know there is no haggling by e-mail before he collects and paypal a deposit or pay in full.


How do you get on with that headlight on the Hornet? I bought one from M&P, it was called the 'demon'. I found the lights rubbish at any distance but liked the look of it. Sad
____________________
Check out our tackle shop on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/JklTackle
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew



Joined: 05 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:45 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no time for haggling retards. When someone shows up to buy anything I have for sale I ask to see the money before I even open the garage. If he's so much as $1 short I tell em to fuck off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

faddius
Traffic Copper



Joined: 16 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:50 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:
I have no time for haggling retards. When someone shows up to buy anything I have for sale I ask to see the money before I even open the garage. If he's so much as $1 short I tell em to fuck off.




You would hate me then, I never turn up with cash, incase things go pear shaped or I walk into a bad situation. I tend to look over the bike, and ill have printed directions to the nearest bank so I can withdraw the cash. At most ill have £100 on me as a deposit so they know im coming back.
____________________
Children in the back of cars cause accidents : Accidents in the back of cars cause children
Riding since OCT '05 - Sym Jet 50cc, Honda Varadero 125cc, Suzuki GS500, Honda VFR750, SV650s current & in posession of Aprilia RS125, Honda NS125R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Madmanx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:52 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get on with that headlight on the Hornet? I bought one from M&P, it was called the 'demon'. I found the lights rubbish at any distance but liked the look of it. Sad[/quote]

Piss poor illumination, I,m converting the holders to take decent bulbs.H4,s probably a set of neons knowing me. Rolling Eyes
Thats it when I got it.
____________________
https://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/manxhornet/Hornet001.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jimbothe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:55 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have most of my light unit here so if you break anything converting it then pm me and you can have whats here Thumbs Up
____________________
Check out our tackle shop on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/JklTackle
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Madmanx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:57 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

1samarg wrote:
I still have most of my light unit here so if you break anything converting it then pm me and you can have whats here Thumbs Up


Cheers for that. Thumbs Up
____________________
https://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/manxhornet/Hornet001.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:54 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy I bought my Speed Four off nearly did sell it to me, It was up at 3k on ebay which I wanted to pay. I sent him 2 emails about it and he didn't get back to me about it. The auction ran out and it was re advertised on ebay I send him an email again and no responce, again I then asked him if he actually wanted to sell it and to give me a call. Cut a long story short he didn't get back to me because I had a negative feedback as my last feedback because I bought an item which didn't show up.

Don't mess up the sell without even speaking to the buyer.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew



Joined: 05 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:07 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

faddius wrote:
You would hate me then, I never turn up with cash, incase things go pear shaped or I walk into a bad situation.

Never heard of that happening here & in the 18 years I've been in the US I've only heard of 2 bikes being stolen.. which both happened to be in the same trailer which was also stolen. That was about 1200 miles from here...

Widespread gun ownership makes most people VERY polite & honest.. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

faddius
Traffic Copper



Joined: 16 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a distinct lack of trust for people when it comes to handling large amounts of cash.
____________________
Children in the back of cars cause accidents : Accidents in the back of cars cause children
Riding since OCT '05 - Sym Jet 50cc, Honda Varadero 125cc, Suzuki GS500, Honda VFR750, SV650s current & in posession of Aprilia RS125, Honda NS125R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

gs5pete
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

faddius wrote:
Check the cash if he comes with cash - get one of those testing pens or hold a few up to the light to check the watermark.

Id also suggest trying to get a friend round incase things do go wrong, they start haggling, get upset / aggravated / try intimidating you to sell for 29p.

Check his ID - name and address - from legitimate ID. Ensure its that name and address that goes onto the V5.

Do not give him the other half of the V5 that needs sending off till you pay cash into the bank and its checked, that way if it is dodgy, you can go to the cops, claim ownership of the bike as you havent sent it away, show the dodgy money and you have his name and address.

If he turns up with friends, tread carefully. I dont know what your morals are like, but I have no issue with having a knife in my back pocket.

If he comes back soon after hes left, dont answer, its only going to lead to problem.





I know some may take what I say as a bit extreme, but ive had those experiances and luckily due to my paranoia I was able to prepare to get out of them. For instance, a bunch of chavs who turned up to look at a bike, about 5 of them. Luckily, I had ensured I had a couple of friends round, and we had "honestly been playing baseball in the garden, all 3 of us were taking turns batting at the same time".


thanks, good advice, I'll try and get the pen. Things like this had crossed my mind but then I kept telling myself "no one would go through that much trouble to rob a ratty GS". I told him I could arrange time off work for him to pick up.. will have to see if any friends can just happen to be there too.

Cheers guys for the posts saying I've got nothing to worry about.. I know there are genuine buyers who travel long distances but I just have a bad gut feeling about this (which I haven't had when buying or selling expensive stuff on ebay before).

As of now, I haven't heard from him since I sent the email saying I wouldn't release the bike without cash.. strange since his email yesterday morning said he wanted to collect on Sunday afternoon!

p.s. the hornet looks rather nice.
____________________
past bikes: KX125, CG125 (first road bike, used to pass test on), GS500 (first proper bike).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 5.7 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 137.73 Kb