Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Staphylococcus aureus bacteria questions...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:58 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Staphylococcus aureus bacteria questions... Reply with quote

Specifically Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (yes, I have MRSA* Confused ), though I believe the resistant bit shouldn't make any difference to the properties.

How long will it stay alive on surfaces for? Similar for frabrics and anything else?
Will cold kill it off, if so what temperatures does it like/not like?

I've been given various things to try and get rid of it and been told to change bed clothes every night for the five nights up to the operation etc. I was wondering if there's anything else I should be careful of?

* Ok, it's only a 'colonisation' on my skin, not through an infection and it seems unlikely it would cause any problems even if it did get into the wounds left when they slice me open next Friday.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:57 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staphylococcus Aureus is present in your body from year dot, just an excess amount. Usually it sits in your throat area.

Unlucky on getting MRSA though.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:38 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
Staphylococcus Aureus is present in your body from year dot, just an excess amount. Usually it sits in your throat area.

Unlucky on getting MRSA though.


its likes nothing more than somewhere warm and sweaty and the nose aint just the only place it likes. Scratching your spuds then picking your nose will spread it of course. You have been warned!

Its on 1/3 of the population and only comes to light when they are screened in hospitals pre procedure.

Its not the killer bug in the news.

The topical wash, gargles and ointments work but it is best opractice to have clean linen / clothes every day to prevent any recontamination.

This is taken from our Trust policy:

Quote:
5.0 INTRODUCTION

Staphylococcus aureus is a common bacterium. Approximately 20 to 50% of the population are carriers of it. It may be carried in the nose or on the skin without causing any problem to the carrier. However, it has the potential to cause disease, particularly in vulnerable hospitalised patient(s) where it can cause serious infections. Meticillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus is a strain of Staphylococcus aureus which is resistant to most frequently used antibiotics, Meticillin being one such drug. Hence the term Meticillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus.

The following is a short summary of the main properties of MRSA.

• Staphylococcus aureus is a bacterium which normally lives in (i.e. colonises) the nose, throat, skin of almost half the population. It can occasionally cause infection, generally of the skin, such as wound infection or boils.

• Both MRSA and Meticillin Sensitive Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA) cause a similar pattern of infections. However, due to their multi-resistant nature, infections caused by MRSA are more difficult to treat.

• A major mode of transmission is via unwashed or inadequately washed hands of staff but it can also occur from contaminated items. The most important way to reduce spread is by good hand hygiene and environmental hygiene.

• Epidemic MRSA are strains with an unexplained exceptional ability to spread widely. The commonest epidemic strains currently are ERMSA-15 and ERMSA-16.

Although MRSA are increasingly common and are reported in the community, in nursing and residential homes and in Southend Hospital, there is no case for inactivity. The aim is to minimise the risk that MRSA pose for the vulnerable patient.


Quote:
15.0 LINEN

15.1 Bed linen should be changed daily. Dirty linen must be disposed of immediately into a white linen bag and placed in the dirty utility hold for collection.

15.2 Linen from patients with MRSA is not classified as infectious. The temperatures in the laundry process retain holding temperatures above 80 degrees Centigrade which are adequate to eliminate MRSA. However, it is still necessary to handle this linen with care and to wear protective clothing, i.e. disposable apron and latex free gloves.

15.3 If the MRSA patient is also suffering from another transmissible disease, e.g. Clostridium difficile, Norovirus, the linen must be classified as infectious and be placed in a red plastic laundry bag with an inner pink alginate liner.


Quote:
TREATMENT

1. Nursing care

1. Use 2% Mupirocin Nasal Ointment (Bactroban). Apply to the anterior nasal nares 3 times a day for 5 days. Gently pinch the sides of the nose together after application to ensure even distribution of the ointment.

2. Use Stellisept body wash undiluted. This should be applied daily for 5 days all over the body, left for 3 minutes contact time before bathing or showering, ensure that the patient is dried thoroughly.

3. The hair should be washed with the Stellisept on the 1st and 5th days of the regime.

4. 2% Mupirocin wound ointment may be applied to small infected wounds. Large wounds should be cleaned regularly with aqueous Chlorhexidine 0.5% or water at room temperature.

5. The full body screen should be repeated 2 days after the end of the 5 day treatment. If the screen is negative, continue to the end of the treatment protocol. If positive seek the advice of the Infection Control Nurse.

6. Each patient will be individually assessed by the Infection Control Nurse for the directorate as relapses may occur especially if the patient is receiving antibiotic therapy.

7. Patients should never be taken out of isolation without preliminary discussion with the Infection Control Department.

____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:30 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies; probably should have mentioned that I’ve reasearched this a bit already. Seeing that the big-pussy-patch from that road rash I had a couple of months ago didn’t cause me any problems in this regard, I don’t see it being a big issue, however it’d still be nice for it to be gone.

I’ve been washing clothes at 60 with some added dettol. The treatment procedures listed are about what I have been told to do.

However, as it can presumably live on in bed clothes, it can presumably live on elsewhere, off the skin. We are told that it’s often picked up in hospitals from dirty surfaces etc (I was very slowly hobbling about bare footed when I was in hospital, which could have been how I picked it up)
Thus it’d be nice to know what I need to do to ensure it’s gone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:23 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

Thus it’d be nice to know what I need to do to ensure it’s gone.


It may never go completely if its colonised.
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:34 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

G,

I would reccomend washing all of the chairs in your place down with something. A carpet shampoo machine might be good. Plus the carpets would be a good bet as well.

Its not that they are dirty, its just that they will have had contact with your skin. Perhaps a cap full of dettol put in with a low concentration of shampoo in one of those carpet shampoo machines might do some good.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ace_tweety
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:44 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt worry about it, my mum caught MRSA. After its "gone" you will be left a "carrier" of the virus but it wont affect you. About 6 out of 10 of the population are carriers.

AS long as its kept under control it will be fine.... the one this its done to my mum is stop her leg healing. (she got her heel removed).

She gets a special wash to use and we need to clean down the house everyday etc until its gone.

Shes in the hospital at the moment for a different thing but she has been isolated incase it spreads.
____________________
Suzuki SV 650 (blue of course!) Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:08 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biker_chick and Whosthedaddy:
At the moment I'm only a 'carrier', I am not infected.
It is possible to remove it completely, but as whosthedaddy suggests, you can’t be sure it’s gone completely. And even if I could be, I could get it again a couple of weeks after from someone else and be back to square one. Apparently the standard procedure for checking for it (I don’t know if they will bother with me) is to do three tests and separate time and if they all show up negative the balance of probability suggests that worst case it’s below detectable levels.
However it would be ‘nice’ to know that I’ve got rid of it this time.

Marjay:
I’m sure my carpets are dirty Wink.
If the carpet and chairs are an issue, then also I expect will be many other clothes I own and such like, thus looking for info on how long it will last in what conditions.
As mentioned above, it’s not really a big issue as I’m pretty likely to come in contact with someone who has it in the future anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:33 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:


Marjay:
I’m sure my carpets are dirty Wink.
If the carpet and chairs are an issue, then also I expect will be many other clothes I own and such like, thus looking for info on how long it will last in what conditions.
As mentioned above, it’s not really a big issue as I’m pretty likely to come in contact with someone who has it in the future anyway.

Yeah but if they are saying bedclothes, then surely carpets and chairs are the same really. They get washed less often, but are just as likely to harbor the infection. Clothes, on the other hand do get washed, and on a hot wash you're likely to kill off most of the nasty stuff.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:48 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually wash clothes at 40, which isn't really /that/ hot, though the washing bit may well do enough. Have bumped that up to 60 with some Dettol for the moment.

Chairs and carpets should have had fairly minimal contact with me; ie arms and hands only generally. My current ‘ergonomic’ computer chair is probably quite good as it hasn’t got a back or arms.
Though, if I can find any evidence that it’s an issue, then I’ll see what I can do.

I was more worried by stuff like bike jackets which I’m likely to have got hot / sweaty in and likely to do the same again but don’t really get washed.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:47 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:


Chairs and carpets should have had fairly minimal contact with me; ie arms and hands only generally. My current ‘ergonomic’ computer chair is probably quite good as it hasn’t got a back or arms.
Though, if I can find any evidence that it’s an issue, then I’ll see what I can do.



Dust is made up of a variety of things from blowing dirt, bacteria, pollen, pollutants, moulds, hair, decomposing insects, fibres, dryer lint, insulation, dust mites and their excrement, and mostly, skin flakes that humans shed.
So although they haven't been in contact with your body, the skin content in household dust may be an issue. I don't know this for sure, but me being me, I can't help but add this Smile



[clean freak mode] Get cleaning! [/clean freak mode]
____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:50 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell the truth, I just want to see G clean his house! Wink

just kidding.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

just kidding.


No you ain't Razz

Bad Luck G, and best of British when you go under the knife mate.
____________________
The BCF's very own Party boy! Though he's getting old and feeling it!
Monkey hanger, Born and bred
My little photo portfolio
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:17 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you find out that you have it ?

What symptoms to people get who are infected rather than just carriers ?
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:05 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
How did you find out that you have it ?

What symptoms to people get who are infected rather than just carriers ?


I was booked in to have my leg sliced open and a couple of screws removed last Thursday. They swabbed me to test for MRSA and sent those off to a lab a week before.
I /should/ have been called prior to going in (and I was, on my home phone, while I was on my way to the hospital Rolling Eyes ). Instead, I walked into the day-surgery unit and was told “you’re not on the list” then after some looking around “ah, your operation was cancelled because you’ve got MRSA, go back down to pre-op”; which left me rather concerned until I had it explained.

My knowledge isn’t 100% as you can see, but if you’ve got an MRSA infection it can work in various ways (and is exactly the same as a ‘SA’ infection, just harder to get rid of).
An infected wound I believe won’t heal very well and will produce lots of puss etc (which it’s self is very infectious).
If it gets ‘properly’ into your blood you’re talking septicaemia (blood poisoning) and you’ll definitely know about.
You can also get boils on the skin and the like.

For most healthly people it’s really not a problem – 1 in 3 has the SA bacteria, so you’ll come into contact with it plenty even if you don’t have it on your skin.
Those that do, their immune system will kill it off before it causes any real problems in the large majority of cases.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:24 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

From my understanding MRSA is far less serious than many assume, just a total pig to get rid of. When Charlottes leg wasn't healing and they took the pins out they took a sample of bone marrow and found MRSA in that, which had been there ages.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 349 days between these two posts...

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:46 - 12 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was searching for something else and came upon this, so thought I'd offer some closure, in case someone comes to it later trying to search for the same things I was.

As has been suggested, MRSA doesn't have any more harmful affects than 'SA' which is present on the skin of 1 in 3 people.
A normal fit-healthy person is unlikely to get infected by this bacteria if they have a cut or similar.

The figures vary a lot, but as many as 1 in 20 (or a lot less depending on where you read) have MRSA on their skin.

The only real difference between the two is that you can't use the normal drugs to get rid of MRSA. There are drugs available, but the NHS is cautious of using for worry of even stronger strains developing.

I did the bed clothes thing, covered myself in the itchy antibiotic when showering and wasn't tested again after the operation.
I requested a test myself and this came back negative.
From what the surgeon had said, I got the impression it may have only been in my nose that MRSA was present.
Of course it's possible that I will catch it again of other people that have it, but I know a week after the operation I was 'clean' at least.

For anyone that's missed out, the operation went ok* and a year on my foot/leg's pretty much ok, definitely 'usable'.
* Apart from one of the sew-ey people stabbing themselves with a needle, for which I got a 'free' HIV/Hep test, which came out negative, which is nice.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:41 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Seeing that the big-pussy-patch from that road rash I had a couple of months ago didn’t cause me any problems in this regard, I don’t see it being a big issue, however it’d still be nice for it to be gone.


I don't think it is necessarily you that they were worried about... what the hospital didn't want, was you spreading it to other more vulnerable patients by going and being all friendly with them.

I can't get my hands on the prevalence data out of work but in work I'll run an extract for the %age of elective patients entering hospital (who get screened for MRSA) who test positive if it'll make you feel any better.

Be sensible, wash your hands and wear clean clothes that have been washed at a reasonably high temperature. Don't pick your nose and scratch your wound, or scratch your *testicles and your wound. It won't make you ill, but you're probably unlikely to ever get rid of it unless you keep up the hygiene routines forever.



*Edited for Lozzy's fragile mind. The Welsh are becoming an increasingly rare species, one must do one's best to protect them.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella


Last edited by Annabella on 23:50 - 13 Jan 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:45 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
It won't make you ill, but you're probably unlikely to ever get rid of it unless you keep up the hygiene routines forever.

Oi, what are you saying! Smile
Anyway, did get rid of it, so Razz.

But, yes, I did wonder about the fact I'd be leaning on the desk of the ward I was supposed (not) to be in waiting for them to tell me that I wasn't supposed to be there because I had MRSA Confused.

And, ern, you did notice the date on the original post, yes?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:14 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
And, ern, you did notice the date on the original post, yes?


Now why would I do a sensible thing like that? eh? Doh!
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:39 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
G wrote:
And, ern, you did notice the date on the original post, yes?


Now why would I do a sensible thing like that? eh? Doh!


Who cares about the date of original post? Annabella said Bollocks! Laughing

(She did - I saw it!)

Proof:
Annabella wrote:
or scratch your bollocks

____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you feel more comfortable if I used "genitals" or "testicles" Lozzy?
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:00 - 13 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly, It was just so shocking.... Damaged my fragile little mind. Embarassed
____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 1.26 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.69 Kb