Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


My trip to the doctors.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

ken
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:28 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: My trip to the doctors. Reply with quote

The story: got drunk Christmas day (as you do) went to bed 1am ish, woke up early on boxing day complaining to other half that our mattress is shite, as I have a sore neck and back. Went down for brekky me boys are downstairs eating breakfast and giggling between themselves.

What had happened previous night, I had fell asleep at the dinner table head hanging down... elbow propped on the table… you get the idea, well they took pics bla bla … hence the sore neck which turns out to be a trapped nerve.

Having sleepless nights as trapped nerve pain starts at neck and getting aches to wrist.
So booked appointment and was surprised to get in at 9.30 this morning… so duly walked 3mins from work to doc’s. when I booked in receptionist said DR murha is video his patients today and would I mind...not at all as I thought it will be more in-depth check over (understatement). So signed papers for agreement and sat down in the waiting area…

This chap walks out sees someone he knows and says you all right mate… yeah fine mate you… yeah I’m good. (I think what the hell you in the doctors for then)…

My mind wanders again and starts listening to the cd being played in the back ground
No joke… Queen. Who wants to live forever is playing. WTF.

Looks at the clock 20mins after appointment time… I’m thinking he has 5 mins to call me or I get my free appointment. Rolling Eyes

Door opens, calls my name, mispronouncing it as they always do. So everybody looks thinking what name was that. I put my hand up yep that’s me…
Gets to room he goes through the blurb about training and turns camera on. I tell him what’s wrong with me and I tell him its trapped nerve having suffered from them on and off for years. He totally ignores me, and proceeds to go through his training at medical school questions. I’m like can you give me what tablets I’ve been given before and let get back to work. Ah no this guy does it by the book checking reflexes my strength. Then tells I think you have a trapped nerve Rolling Eyes . I fuckin know that, and tells me it could be vitamin deviancy. We will take a blood test and give you prescription called Amitripthline Hydrochloride to help relive the discomfort at knight. As he turns to his pc to write it out, I turn to the camera on the tripod look at it head on whilst Rolling Eyes and start simulating masturbation sign to the camera Laughing

Epilogue
I was in there for 20 minutes. Normally you’re in there for 3.5 minutes thrown out with a prescription. Then they shout, NEXT…
The reality is they could never spend that much time with each patient. So I’ve come out of there still with the same problem. And bewildered.

Hope that has not bored you to tears, but I though I would get it of my chest…
Anyone else have any surreal experiences similar to mine?
come to think of it did he have the camera in-case any women came in with chest pains Thinking
as you were. yes there is the odd contradiction in there
____________________
latest bike 03 R1 in zee red and black
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owdamer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:37 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks at the clock 20mins after appointment time… I’m thinking he has 5 mins to call me or I get my free appointment.


Huh? you pay for your appointments??
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicken!!!!
If they tell you its a training vid. you should have changed your plea to 'Itchybellenditus'. Get him to record that for posterity. Wink
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tricolor Fan
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:03 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Re: My trip to the doctors. Reply with quote

ken wrote:
Then tells I think you have a trapped nerve Rolling Eyes . I fuckin know that, and tells me it could be vitamin deviancy. We will take a blood test and give you prescription called Amitripthline Hydrochloride to help relive the discomfort at knight.


A Tricyclic Anti-Depressant for pain relief is not usually the first course of action, it usually reserved for some forms of long term chronic pain (and depression of course). Unless he's prescribing it because it makes you very sleepy.

Did he go through the side effects with you? They aren't very pleasant.

I would've thought Diclofenac and/or Co-Dydromol would've been more appropriate.
____________________
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.


Last edited by Tricolor Fan on 19:02 - 01 Feb 2008; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ken
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:17 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did he go through the side effects with you? They aren't very pleasant.


No he didn', tell me more Shocked I told him that I'm struggling to get any good night's sleep because it aches so much I can't get comfy.
____________________
latest bike 03 R1 in zee red and black
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:50 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once fell asleep in my armchair after a skinfull, and couldn't turn my head for several days, and was in discomfort for several weeks Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:03 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Re: My trip to the doctors. Reply with quote

ken wrote:
Door opens, calls my name, mispronouncing it as they always do....


K-E-N.

How the fu*k can you get that wrong! Laughing Wink
____________________
ZXR750R (M2) - For the road.
CBR1000 RR4 - For the track.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4332
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:04 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken wrote:

No he didn', tell me more Shocked I told him that I'm struggling to get any good night's sleep because it aches so much I can't get comfy.


Basically he did what an unfortunately large number of doctors do. He checked you over, failed to come up with a clear diagnosis or a plan as to how he would go about making one. He then gave you a handful of happy pills so you wont come back.

Amitriptyline is indeed an antidepressant, used for "Depressive illness, particularly where sedation is required".

It is sometimes indicated in neuropathic pain (usually where someone has had shingles or similar).

There is a list of side effects a mile long. (I just looked it up in my formulary, too many to type out).

Here's a link to a data sheet: https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/datasheet/a/Amitriptab.htm

I wouldn't take the fuckers.

I also think it is HIGHLY irresponsable to prescribe them without a DETAILED discussion as to the potential side effects.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:05 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Re: My trip to the doctors. Reply with quote

Barry_MC21 wrote:
ken wrote:
Door opens, calls my name, mispronouncing it as they always do....


K-E-N.

How the fu*k can you get that wrong! Laughing Wink


Ocht Ah Dinnae Ken... Sad

Best muscle relaxant/antidepressant/sedative:

100ml Morangieglen. Wink
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ken
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight and advice stinkwheel Thumbs Up ... are they sellable Shocked


Quote:
Ocht Ah Dinnae Ken... Crying or Very sad


Hate to say it but my surname originates from France... mothers side were scottish hence the Ken from the Glen Wink
____________________
latest bike 03 R1 in zee red and black
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken wrote:
Thanks for the insight and advice stinkwheel Thumbs Up ... are they sellable Shocked


Quote:
Ocht Ah Dinnae Ken... Crying or Very sad


Hate to say it but my surname originates from France... mothers side were scottish hence the Ken from the Glen Wink


Don't mention the French...
You'll ken that shower done the Scots up 'The Glen Garry' when Bonnie Prince Charlie marched down, mob handed, to claim his crown. Mad Laughing
Transcript of promise of help from King of France to Scots:
"Vous Eccosse ettack le Eengleesh Peegs from le North, eh wi weel ettack zem from ze Sowsz."

King of England weighed the Frogs in with land and stuff to stay away so Charlie's men had to run away. Embarassed
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ken
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:42 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

you do concern me walloper you been at the IRN-BRU again Laughing Laughing

Just read up on medication prescribed... pills on left hand,consequence's on right hand Thinking *throws pills away* what was he thinking. he never asked me about any medical conditions that might react to the pills. He has given me another appointment in four weeks time. I will bring this up.
____________________
latest bike 03 R1 in zee red and black
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thegubner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:12 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had those amitriptyline once, my pal said they were sleepers and I was having trouble sleeping, they were 10ml, the packet said take ONE before bed, I came up with the conclusion that four should do it.

Never again I tell you! Shocked


Never again, not even one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:17 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_guvnor_1_uk wrote:
I had those amitriptyline once, my pal said they were sleepers and I was having trouble sleeping, they were 10ml, the packet said take ONE before bed, I came up with the conclusion that four should do it.

Never again I tell you! Shocked


Never again, not even one.


Ah don't think you will ever regain consciousness mate.... Razz
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:18 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken wrote:
you do concern me walloper you been at the IRN-BRU again Laughing Laughing


I think walloper is pissed / high on IRN-BRU happy juice for 90% of his postings. they can only be described as wild ramblings Laughing
And I love 'em haha
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thegubner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:20 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:


Ah don't think you will ever regain consciousness mate.... Razz



Less of the mate eh?

Andy will do. Middle Finger Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay HTFC wrote:
ken wrote:
you do concern me walloper you been at the IRN-BRU again Laughing Laughing


I think walloper is pissed / high on IRN-BRU happy juice for 90% of his postings. they can only be described as wild ramblings Laughing
And I love 'em haha


Well....
I am sure the UN, NATO and M&S are not waiting on baited breath to see what remarkable knowledge will be imparted on all matters of domestic and world importance from [email protected]...

If most of the stuff wasn't able to be stirred with a shovel I wouldn't bother helping.

I must have the arsebugger too..... Crying or Very sad Laughing
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Re: My trip to the doctors. Reply with quote

ken wrote:
DR murha

You went to see a doctor whose surname means 'murder' in Finnish? Shocked
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:38 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a decent quack and ask for Diclofenac Sodium.
Flog the crap he gave you to a Junkie sweating it on methadone scrip.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:09 - 02 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd rather take the advice of a bunch of people on an internet forum than that of your doctor, you either need a bit of a reality check or you need to get another doctor (because you obviously don't trust that one very much). I guess you might be looking for another doctor anyway when he watches the video.

Amitriptyline is commonly used for neuralgic pain (usually after the regulars like paracetamol and ibuprofen/diclofenac have already been tried). I'm afraid that most medicines have rather a long list of potential side effects - you're already moaning about how long he took seeing you, if he went through them all in great detail, how long do you think you would have been in there (you should have been warned about common and/or major potential effects though)?
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:01 - 02 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmahon wrote:
If you'd rather take the advice of a bunch of people on an internet forum than that of your doctor, you either need a bit of a reality check or you need to get another doctor (because you obviously don't trust that one very much). I guess you might be looking for another doctor anyway when he watches the video.

Amitriptyline is commonly used for neuralgic pain (usually after the regulars like paracetamol and ibuprofen/diclofenac have already been tried). I'm afraid that most medicines have rather a long list of potential side effects - you're already moaning about how long he took seeing you, if he went through them all in great detail, how long do you think you would have been in there (you should have been warned about common and/or major potential effects though)?


My main point was 1) He wasn't given a clear diagnosis and 2) He wasn't told about the potential for massively debilitating side effects (up to and including a psychotic episode) of that particular drug. I'm not even sure you should be operating machinery/driving on it.

In fact, it even says on the full data sheet for the stuff:

The patient has the right to treatment meeting appropriate ethical and professional standards, and the patient needs to be fully informed with frank discussion of risk/benefit issues relating to the medicines efficacy and safety when used in the treatment regimen proposed.


In addition, Amitriptyline is NOT LICENCED for the treatment of neuralgic pain. So a licenced product should have been tried first under the cascade system. Even then, a pain down the neck and back doesn't sound like it is coming from the trigeminal nerve to me and I didn't even examine the guy.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigie b
Citizen Smith



Joined: 26 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:14 - 02 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you'd rather take the advice of a bunch of people on an internet forum than that of your doctor, you either need a bit of a reality check or you need to get another doctor (because you obviously don't trust that one very much).


I think it says more about the current state of the NHS. I was listening to a programme on Radio 2 entitled "Where's the Fibula?". Basically, due to restructuring, modern doctors where leaving med school lacking very basic medical knowledge and instead where having their time wasted by spending time on 'communication skills'.

Anything like a trapped nerve then it is worth visiting either a chiropractor or sports therapist with experience in trapped nerves. They can often physically solve the problem. The NHS, in my experience, does nothing regarding physical problems or bio mechanics. They simply issue pills to mask the problem rather than deal with the simple underpinning problem.


Last edited by craigie b on 01:22 - 02 Feb 2008; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:21 - 02 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
My main point was 1) He wasn't given a clear diagnosis and 2) He wasn't told about the potential for massively debilitating side effects (up to and including a psychotic episode) of that particular drug. I'm not even sure you should be operating machinery/driving on it.

In fact, it even says on the full data sheet for the stuff:

The patient has the right to treatment meeting appropriate ethical and professional standards, and the patient needs to be fully informed with frank discussion of risk/benefit issues relating to the medicines efficacy and safety when used in the treatment regimen proposed.


In addition, Amitriptyline is NOT LICENCED for the treatment of neuralgic pain. So a licenced product should have been tried first under the cascade system. Even then, a pain down the neck and back doesn't sound like it is coming from the trigeminal nerve to me and I didn't even examine the guy.


I thought a diagnosis (of "a trapped nerve") had been given? I'm not saying it is right.

I agreed that he should have been told about common and/or major potential side effects and this should happen with any treatment prescribed.

I suspect he has already used licenced simple analgesia / NSAIDs (over the counter). Lots of drugs are used off licence. This is common practice and just means that the buck stops with the doctor rather than the drug company in the case of a problem. It is not uncommon to use products off licence as first line treatment for many conditions too.

Who mentioned the trigeminal nerve?
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:38 - 02 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmahon wrote:

Who mentioned the trigeminal nerve?


I did. Amitriptyline has been described for use in the case of Trigeminal neuralgia, I didn't think it was for anything else? Maybe I'm wrong.

I wasn't aware that a trapped nerve was the same thing as neuralgia? I always thought neuralgia was where a nerve had been damaged and there is a sensation of pain where it used to be without necessarily having any stimulus (a classic example being phantom limb pain in amputees). Whereas a trapped nerve is painful because it's, well, trapped.

As others have said, might be worth going to see a back-cracker to see if they can do anything to tackle the cause of the pain rather than the results of it.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 02 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man this thread is better than an gripping episode of Grays Antimony... Razz
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 244 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.15 Sec - Server Load: 1.48 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 142.18 Kb