|
|
| Author |
Message |
| jaguar65uk |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jaguar65uk Scooby Slapper
Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:44 - 05 Feb 2008 Post subject: Bike sold, its engine might be stolen |
 |
|
I sold an Aprilia RS about 3 weeks ago to a breaker. The sale was carried out through ebay and the breaker's courier collected the bike paying cash.
Shortly after I had purchased the bike I had replaced the engine as it was in need of a rebuild. Through ebay I bought an engine from a local breaker (a small operation). I collected the engine, paid cash and was given a receipt.
A week before I sold the bike, I managed to get the engine running (albeit) very poorly and for less than 30 seconds. I managed to take a video of it running and included this in the ad, but detailed that the carb needed work before it would run properly.
The breaker called today, 2 weeks after he collected the bike informing me that not only has the engine not been rebuilt but that it does not run and has had the serial numbers ground off, "suggesting it has come from a stolen bike" he tells me.
I gave nothing away, telling him I'd have to wait until I was at home (I'm at uni currently) before I could do anything. He said that as far as he was concerned, whether stolen or not, the engine was scrap and could not be used. He offered to redeliver the bike to me in return for the £850 he paid for it, or that I compensate him for the engine which will probably be in the region of £300.
I'm almost certain I bought the item through ebay and though I paid cash, there should be a record of the transaction. Would I be able to mitigate responsibility, transferring it to the guys I bought the engine from? ____________________ Past: Aprilia SR 50, Aprilia RS 125
Current: Aprilia RS 125, Yamaha Teos 125 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| UnknownStuntm... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnknownStuntm... World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Sep 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Hetzer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Hetzer Super Spammer

Joined: 19 Feb 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jaguar65uk |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jaguar65uk Scooby Slapper
Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:21 - 05 Feb 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
As I'm at uni, I left my dad in charge of handing over the bike. He gave me a ring the day it was collected saying that a receipt had been left - I'll be able to take a look at who collected it and to whom it was delivered.
I believe ebay only keep their auction pages for 90 days so the listing for the motor is history, I am quite sure the reciept they gave me had the item number on it - their operation wasn't much removed from a garge full of parts but their receipt had something to the effect of Atlas 24 Services or something on, they were from Northwich in Cheshire.
The guy who bought the bike was called Andy and seems to run a breakers in or around Rugby, but I'll need to check the paperwork to verify where the bike has ended up.
I don't recall noticing the engine number was missing - but similarly I don't recall ever looking.
My listing can be seen here. ____________________ Past: Aprilia SR 50, Aprilia RS 125
Current: Aprilia RS 125, Yamaha Teos 125 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:27 - 05 Feb 2008 Post subject: Re: Bike sold, its engine might be stolen |
 |
|
Did you claim the engine worked apart from the carb.
If you stated the history and didn't make any claims apart from showing a video of it running, I don't see there's a problem - they took a risk and lost the risk.
Sadly I've come into contact with an ebay person that has won and bought a vehicle which I have made clear should be viewed first and just saying it drove fine etc, not that it was good specifically - they haven't viewed it, were fine collecting then I got bad feedback when something I didn't claim was ok wasn't .
If you did claim otherwise, then that's another matter, of course. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ichy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ichy World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ariel Badger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ariel Badger Super Spammer

Joined: 02 Dec 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iooi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iooi Super Spammer

Joined: 14 Jan 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:11 - 05 Feb 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
So of course when you replaced the engine you updated the V5 to show the new engine no... Didn't you
Did you check that the engine you bought had numbers on ?
As you have a recipt for the engine, which should hopefully A, have the numbers on & B, say its been rebuilt.
If not then you are up the creek without a paddle.
You may be able to pass blame on, but will you be able to claim the money back from them is a diffrent matter. ____________________ Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am...... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr Nice Guy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr Nice Guy World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Jul 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:44 - 05 Feb 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I imagine if the shoe was on the other foot it would be a *suck air between teeth* "shit happens mate, sold as seen" ...so, if you can legally get away with it, f*ck 'em. ____________________ Suzuki GSX-R750K4 ~ Mivv GP |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 18 years, 246 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|