Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bike sold, its engine might be stolen

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

jaguar65uk
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 21 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:44 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Bike sold, its engine might be stolen Reply with quote

I sold an Aprilia RS about 3 weeks ago to a breaker. The sale was carried out through ebay and the breaker's courier collected the bike paying cash.

Shortly after I had purchased the bike I had replaced the engine as it was in need of a rebuild. Through ebay I bought an engine from a local breaker (a small operation). I collected the engine, paid cash and was given a receipt.

A week before I sold the bike, I managed to get the engine running (albeit) very poorly and for less than 30 seconds. I managed to take a video of it running and included this in the ad, but detailed that the carb needed work before it would run properly.

The breaker called today, 2 weeks after he collected the bike informing me that not only has the engine not been rebuilt but that it does not run and has had the serial numbers ground off, "suggesting it has come from a stolen bike" he tells me.

I gave nothing away, telling him I'd have to wait until I was at home (I'm at uni currently) before I could do anything. He said that as far as he was concerned, whether stolen or not, the engine was scrap and could not be used. He offered to redeliver the bike to me in return for the £850 he paid for it, or that I compensate him for the engine which will probably be in the region of £300.

I'm almost certain I bought the item through ebay and though I paid cash, there should be a record of the transaction. Would I be able to mitigate responsibility, transferring it to the guys I bought the engine from?
____________________
Past: Aprilia SR 50, Aprilia RS 125
Current: Aprilia RS 125, Yamaha Teos 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:49 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you notice the engine was missing any numbers before you sold it? See, the breakers could have ground the numbers off and told you it's worthless? I smell rats here.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which breaker (name) did you sell the bike to? If he's a known scumbag (some have been mentioned here on BCF recently) you'd be well within your moral rights to tell him to go screw himself.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a link to the eBay ad?
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jaguar65uk
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 21 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I'm at uni, I left my dad in charge of handing over the bike. He gave me a ring the day it was collected saying that a receipt had been left - I'll be able to take a look at who collected it and to whom it was delivered.

I believe ebay only keep their auction pages for 90 days so the listing for the motor is history, I am quite sure the reciept they gave me had the item number on it - their operation wasn't much removed from a garge full of parts but their receipt had something to the effect of Atlas 24 Services or something on, they were from Northwich in Cheshire.

The guy who bought the bike was called Andy and seems to run a breakers in or around Rugby, but I'll need to check the paperwork to verify where the bike has ended up.

I don't recall noticing the engine number was missing - but similarly I don't recall ever looking.

My listing can be seen here.
____________________
Past: Aprilia SR 50, Aprilia RS 125
Current: Aprilia RS 125, Yamaha Teos 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:27 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Re: Bike sold, its engine might be stolen Reply with quote

Did you claim the engine worked apart from the carb.
If you stated the history and didn't make any claims apart from showing a video of it running, I don't see there's a problem - they took a risk and lost the risk.
Sadly I've come into contact with an ebay person that has won and bought a vehicle which I have made clear should be viewed first and just saying it drove fine etc, not that it was good specifically - they haven't viewed it, were fine collecting then I got bad feedback when something I didn't claim was ok wasn't Rolling Eyes.

If you did claim otherwise, then that's another matter, of course.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention on Ebay that the engine was rebuilt with 0 miles on it. You don't mention the fact that you actually rebuilt the engine in the original post just that you brought one from a breakers.

Did you actually rebuild the engine, with new piston, rings etc? Full top and bottom as advertised?

You actually say that the engine runs perfectly despite only getting it to run for 30 seconds.


Last edited by Ichy on 21:02 - 05 Feb 2008; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:00 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ripping off a breaker, that in itself deserves some kama.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross posted - if you claimed the engine ran perfectly and that was not the case, then it seems reasonable for you to 'accept liability'.

However, if the other breakers mis-sold it to you, then it definitely seems to be reasonable to claim the costs back from them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:11 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

So of course when you replaced the engine you updated the V5 to show the new engine no... Didn't you Embarassed

Did you check that the engine you bought had numbers on ?

As you have a recipt for the engine, which should hopefully A, have the numbers on & B, say its been rebuilt.
If not then you are up the creek without a paddle.

You may be able to pass blame on, but will you be able to claim the money back from them is a diffrent matter.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Nice Guy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine if the shoe was on the other foot it would be a *suck air between teeth* "shit happens mate, sold as seen" ...so, if you can legally get away with it, f*ck 'em.
____________________
Suzuki GSX-R750K4 ~ Mivv GP
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 245 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.41 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 71.42 Kb