Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Musings on being 100% legal.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Tristan.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:29 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Musings on being 100% legal. Reply with quote

I've been riding for about a year, of which I've only been completely legal for a couple of months for various reasons*

Now I've never had a problem with this, but I've noticed most of my friends who drive stick religiously to speed limits and get very worked up about things which I view as completely insignificant (filtering, appropriate speeding and overtaking to name three) But the other day I was walking round a corner to be met with a traffic car parked up outside co-op. My reaction was to think "bollocks" and concentrate on being sensible and act inconspicuous, before I realised I wasn't actually on a bike Shocked

Anyway, as I said, I always thought I was pretty relaxed when it comes to bending the rules a bit, how do you feel about being a bit illegal, and when you swop between being legal and naughty do you feel a difference?

*CG's mot ran out, and I couldnt get one cos the front mudguard was broke, garage messed me around for a few months before I got hold of it, the NSR was above the legal learner BHP, and the few times I've been on the CB it's been untaxed, since I'm waiting for the logbook to come through, plus little things like dark visors etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

----
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:52 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have rode/drove without tax/m.o.t. loads of time myself,no big deal in my opinion.

As long as you have insurance and a driving licence it's all good.

I just find i dont enjoy the drive/ride if im not legit, so will avoid it at all costs...

Hope you dont get caught.

Thumbs Up
____________________
DRZ-400sm
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tristan.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:08 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really worried about the possibilities of getting a tug, the bikes off the road at the moment anyway, I'm more wondering if little things like loud cans or unrestricted bikes alter peoples mindsets and to what extent, I never really thought it did to me, though after being scared of a traffic car while on foot I think I might enjoy riding more when I'm legal, like you said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:11 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a big finger over my head (like the lottery one) that poins directly at me. Most of the time it is switched off.

However the moment I go out when something is not 100% kosher it lights up, plays music and displays a sign that says "Here she is! Go get her chaps! Knock her off, crash into her, if you are police pull her, do your worst!"

Sad

So I stay legal. Too scared not to.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nebzor
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:44 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am, in general, perfectly legal. I ride a restricted 50cc (SHOCKER!) and that's fine by me.

I don't think anyone on here really expects anybody to be fully legal, but I'm sure the majority will draw a similar sort of line (e.g. dark visors aren't going to kill any kittens but 60mph in a busy 30 limit is)
____________________
Peugeot Speedfight 2 - Honda VFR400 - Honda CB500


Last edited by Nebzor on 19:51 - 27 Jan 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thegubner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

justmetoo125 wrote:


As long as you have insurance and a driving licence it's all good.



A licence is the same as an MOT to me, or maybe worse, at least an MOT gets re-done every year.

I aint saying licences should, that would just be silly, what I mean is all a licence proves is that you did something right on the day of your test, or you sucked off the examiner.

I know people who have ridden and driven for years with no licence and they make much better riders/drivers than some of my licenced mates.

It just proves you drove safely on the day.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

----
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what your saying,theres a load of people around my area driving without a licence that are actually good drivers,but at least if you have a licence (even if you just got lucky on the day) it proves you know how the rules of the road work,and understand all/most of the signs.

A mate of mine is driving everyday in his car with no licence but has l plates and a qualifyed driver in with him,so he is perfectly legal but imo is a danger to everyone on the road.
Driving laws are not very well thought out me thinks.
____________________
DRZ-400sm
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:13 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway. I'm sure you're one of the several people I have told that the front mudguard is not an MOT requirement. If it's broken, take it off.

So, you were riding about with no MOT for no good reason.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

scorps
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:20 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

see i dont agree with this stuff, if you are riding or driving with a licence and insurance but no MOT or tax then you can kiss your insurance claim goodbye if you have an accident, It doesnt matter if someones a better rider than someone with insurance etc because you are still breaking the law. I am not squeeky clean as I have a licence plate thats all on one line on the bike and a loud can but because i an always taxed insured with an MOT i am the one who ends up paying higher premiums to cover the cost of accidents caused by non insured drivers etc.

I dont agree with the way we are financially shafted but I accept that because its the law then begrudgingly I have to pay the piper, A more fairer way of being taxed etc is to have a policy where you are automatically taxed for the vehicle you are driving / riding at the time but as this is an argument that comes up time and time again people will still break the law, next time i am shunted by an uninsured driver, I am not going to bother with the police, i shall deal with the bastard myself unless i am injured of course Evil or Very Mad
____________________
Do not presume that I am male.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:24 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Anyway. I'm sure you're one of the several people I have told that the front mudguard is not an MOT requirement. If it's broken, take it off.
Depends, on my NS it was. I wanted to take it off for MOT as the screws kept rattling out and making it loose, wouldn't MOT it without because of the year and current law in some relation.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
Depends, on my NS it was. I wanted to take it off for MOT as the screws kept rattling out and making it loose, wouldn't MOT it without because of the year and current law in some relation.


Classic case of an MOT tester making stuff up that isn't in the manual.

They do it all the time. I suspect in an attempt to make themselves look clever.

They often land up making themselves look like a dick. Such as the guy in Workington who informed me I would have to drill a hole in my wheel spindle (where no such hole is intended to be) in order to fit a castellated nut and split pin. He continued to insist this was the case, even after I produced the official factory manual with an exploded diagram of the rear wheel assembly.

He only desisted when I asked him if he was prepared to take responsability for any accident that occurred as a result of me drilling a hole in a major structural part of my bike where none was meant to be.

If the mudguard has an integral fork brace, you need to fit that bit (the metal bit on the inside) but there is nothing saying you have to have a mudguard fitted.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iand
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 08 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:52 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

justmetoo125 wrote:
I have rode/drove without tax/m.o.t. loads of time myself,no big deal in my opinion.

As long as you have insurance and a driving licence it's all good.

I just find i dont enjoy the drive/ride if im not legit, so will avoid it at all costs...

Hope you dont get caught.

Thumbs Up


trouble is your insurance would be void if your not taxed MOT'd so technically if your not taxed/mot'd your not insured either!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Endless Nameless
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:57 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always make sure the vehicle is more or less legal, i.e. MOT'd, taxed and insured. And except for a few drives in a mates car on the lanes, I've always had a license when I've been behind the wheel (don't have a bike one yet...).

So I know I can be legal if I need to be, which means for things like speed limits it's my decision if I ignore them or not. After all, changing your speed means altering one or two controls, there's a bit more involved with getting an MOT!

In short, I make sure the basics are in place, and let common sense dictate the rest.
____________________
A2 passed 22/07/08; restriction up 22/07/10 (just so I don't forget)
'79 Suzuki GS550E. Yes, that's a GS550, not a GS500.
Supersports "In a video editing competition I'd kick your sorry ass"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

----
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:10 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

iand wrote:
justmetoo125 wrote:
I have rode/drove without tax/m.o.t. loads of time myself,no big deal in my opinion.

As long as you have insurance and a driving licence it's all good.

I just find i dont enjoy the drive/ride if im not legit, so will avoid it at all costs...

Hope you dont get caught.

Thumbs Up


trouble is your insurance would be void if your not taxed MOT'd so technically if your not taxed/mot'd your not insured either!


Yes,but i know loads of people who have been caught with no mot/or no tax,and have never been done for no insurance because of it.

I suppose that would be a different case if they were involved in a crash.

Everytime i have ridden with no tax/mot it's only been while on my way home from picking a car up but i have covered myself by booking it in for a m.o.t.or the odd time when i have been fully legit,but could'nt tax my car/bike because of not having the log book/insurance cover note.
____________________
DRZ-400sm
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:33 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
st3v3 wrote:
Depends, on my NS it was. I wanted to take it off for MOT as the screws kept rattling out and making it loose, wouldn't MOT it without because of the year and current law in some relation.


Classic case of an MOT tester making stuff up that isn't in the manual.

They do it all the time. I suspect in an attempt to make themselves look clever.
To be honest, I never queried it because if they didn't test it, they didn't get my cash and somewhere else did. I trust the guy who did it(when I'd tightened them up)because they were better than previous places and have no advantage to any failings. It's literally testing the bike is safe for me there. Also, they know how I ride so....... Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tristan.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:37 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Anyway. I'm sure you're one of the several people I have told that the front mudguard is not an MOT requirement. If it's broken, take it off.

So, you were riding about with no MOT for no good reason.


Mmm, he was the only MOT tester within reasonable distance, and he was a bit pissy with me, cos he told me he'd want two hours labour to fit a headlight, that I fitted on his forecourt in 10 minutes. So took my arguments against a bit personaly (I pointed out I could hacksaw off the bit that was touching the tyre, and he said it wouldnt go through (oh and I wasn't riding it with the mudguard ttouching the tyre obviously))

As for the tax, I went to pick up a bike advertised with a V5, the plan was to take my green slip, along with the other docs to the nearest PO and complete the journey legal, but he'd lost it, then I used it the next weekend cos I was feeling really homesick and couldnt afford the train.

But yeah, me attempting to justify my discrepencies isn't a particularly interesting thread, perhaps the attitude depends on where you started riding, when I was in lincolnshire I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of marked cars I saw.

PS scorps, I was under the impression that if something causes your liscence to be void they pay out to a tird party but can then take you through snall claims to recover the cash, could well be forum hearsay though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ghost
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:54 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion there's no such thing as being a 'little naughty' you're either legal or you're not. My bike and car might not be 100% legal, I do like a spirited ride or drive every now and then and I always travel quickly, but at a speed which is safe for the conditions regardless of what the limit is. This may mean I do 40mph in a 60 limit, or I might do 100mph+ on an empty road.
But to answer your question, yeah I still 'jump' every time I spot a police car, even if I'm doing nothing wrong. The fact is I and many other people break the law every day in varying degrees, and thus it's ingrained into my mind to be wary of the authorities Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cestrian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only my numberplate is illegal, and I could argue that point if stopped. I don't speed in places where I am likely to be caught, I don't pull wheelies. I don't 'jump' when I see a police car, in fact the last time I spoke to a copper, I told him I was sorry for him and that I look forward to the day when we can begin to respect the police, again. Thick cwnt didn't know what to say Razz

Regards
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

-Savage-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:36 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden for a time with

no restriction,
no R plates(N.Ireland),
no Registration,
Illegal numberplate,
no MOT,
and no tax.

I had my test, but this would be void as I was on a unrestricted machine on a 33bhp license,

and I was insured, but since I had effectively no license, mot, tax, or registration I doubt that it would be insured.

When I put it all down in writing it kinda amazes me I was never in sh1t for it lol.
____________________
My Bikes - - - Royal Enfield 500 with sidecar, VFR800, CBR600FX,
Peugeot Speedfight 100, Kymco Hipster 125, GSXR750K5, Jawa TS 350
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fredsredhat
Traffic Copper



Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ALWAYS been 100% on the tax, MOT and insurance side of things, car and bike. If it isn;t taxed i dont ride it. as for loud cans? i've got a can and use a dark visor in the sun, and in the high summer i dont always carry a clear spare.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fadel
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:20 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im riding derestricted, got an illegal can on the bike which i've chopped down aswell so definately not legal now even with the baffle. Never carry a clear visor with me, never wear a clear visor.

Been out on my bike once without tax but that was because my insurance docs hadn't come through, though was only round the block for 20 mins (had to, new bike Wink ) I then put it away and 2 minutes later the post man came back on his own accord (his little red micra bless) and posted them so back I went to tax the bike (Y)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:25 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably a hypocrite for slagging off all the un-33bhp'd license holders since i was riding my 2 years unrestricted, both on my 250 and 600. I was very lax about the law and i bent it to the a reasonable degree, which i still felt comfortable about doing. If i wanted to read into the specifics, i could have been done for riding unlicensed and uninsured if caught. But i'll let you guys read into the enforcement aspect of it. A fair few of us will admit that we've done it, and a fair few have conformed strictly to the 33bhp rule. I believe in the principles that rules are meant to be bent, so police officers can keep their jobs!

I already had a riding without accordance to my license... that was carrying my dad on pillion on HIS NRG50 - bike had L plates, but both of us were licensed and insured - my dad got moped entitlement on his car license (pre 01) and copper that stopped us was unsure of the ruling on this - let my dad ride off with me on pillion since he interpreted is being legal (i wasn't particularly sure about the moped entitlement - I'm assuming you can carry pillions since you were able to ride any moped without a CBT back in those days). Either way, i got pulled and got no points, not even a fine... i guess it was because it was my dad on the back... He commented that i was only wearing my jeans and hoodie and a dark visor, for which i didn't have a spare, but i was pretty calm and collected and treated the cops with respect and they thought that i weren't such a bad lad... So no, I've not been legal a few times.

Now, I'd consider myself erring on legal; tax, license, insurance, MOT. Any others is just my understanding and appreciation of bending the law - my bike has a loud but unmarked full race system, I'm running HID's, I DON'T display my tax (because i've had 3 tax disks nicked previously), I have a 8x6 plate, I ride with a dark smoked lens cover which emits purple light (take it off when its dark - along with my dark visor). BUT, i DON'T act or ride like a dickhead, to my own perceptions or other road user's perceptions, hence why i never get a tug. If i get stopped, i normally start chatting to the plod and get them relaxed and co-operative.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tutton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:40 - 08 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to ride the dirtbikes on road ocasionally, but sensibly, to get to the track etc,

Rode the 50 around on nearby streets, slow control tho.

De-res on the 50, but then arnt most 50's these days?
____________________
Past: '05 Peugeot XPS '99 Aprillia RS125 '94 FZR600R
Current: '02 ZX636 A1P '51 CCM R30
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:23 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven a car without MOT and tax a few times. Don't make a habit of it, but sometimes the alternative would be too expensive.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 10 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never had a 100% legal bike in my life.

Race cans, Small plates, casual speeding and tom foolery.
____________________
Ducati 1299 Panigale
2009 Corvette C6 z51
RS125->CBR400->RXS100->GSXR750K2->Ducati749S->CBR600RR5->TL1000R->DRz400->RSVR1000->Honda VTR SP1->CBR400->GSXR1000K6->Honda H100->CBR600RR3->Ducati1299
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 211 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.96 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 137.17 Kb