|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Tristan. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tristan. World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 May 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 03:29 - 08 Mar 2008 Post subject: Musings on being 100% legal. |
 |
|
I've been riding for about a year, of which I've only been completely legal for a couple of months for various reasons*
Now I've never had a problem with this, but I've noticed most of my friends who drive stick religiously to speed limits and get very worked up about things which I view as completely insignificant (filtering, appropriate speeding and overtaking to name three) But the other day I was walking round a corner to be met with a traffic car parked up outside co-op. My reaction was to think "bollocks" and concentrate on being sensible and act inconspicuous, before I realised I wasn't actually on a bike
Anyway, as I said, I always thought I was pretty relaxed when it comes to bending the rules a bit, how do you feel about being a bit illegal, and when you swop between being legal and naughty do you feel a difference?
*CG's mot ran out, and I couldnt get one cos the front mudguard was broke, garage messed me around for a few months before I got hold of it, the NSR was above the legal learner BHP, and the few times I've been on the CB it's been untaxed, since I'm waiting for the logbook to come through, plus little things like dark visors etc. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ---- |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ---- World Chat Champion
Joined: 29 Sep 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:52 - 08 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have rode/drove without tax/m.o.t. loads of time myself,no big deal in my opinion.
As long as you have insurance and a driving licence it's all good.
I just find i dont enjoy the drive/ride if im not legit, so will avoid it at all costs...
Hope you dont get caught.
 ____________________ DRZ-400sm |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tristan. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tristan. World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 May 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yambabe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yambabe World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 12:11 - 08 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have a big finger over my head (like the lottery one) that poins directly at me. Most of the time it is switched off.
However the moment I go out when something is not 100% kosher it lights up, plays music and displays a sign that says "Here she is! Go get her chaps! Knock her off, crash into her, if you are police pull her, do your worst!"
So I stay legal. Too scared not to. ____________________ Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nebzor |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nebzor Trackday Trickster

Joined: 17 Feb 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:44 - 08 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I am, in general, perfectly legal. I ride a restricted 50cc (SHOCKER!) and that's fine by me.
I don't think anyone on here really expects anybody to be fully legal, but I'm sure the majority will draw a similar sort of line (e.g. dark visors aren't going to kill any kittens but 60mph in a busy 30 limit is) ____________________ Peugeot Speedfight 2 - Honda VFR400 - Honda CB500
Last edited by Nebzor on 19:51 - 27 Jan 2009; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| thegubner |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 thegubner World Chat Champion
Joined: 25 Mar 2007 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ---- |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ---- World Chat Champion
Joined: 29 Sep 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:59 - 08 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I see what your saying,theres a load of people around my area driving without a licence that are actually good drivers,but at least if you have a licence (even if you just got lucky on the day) it proves you know how the rules of the road work,and understand all/most of the signs.
A mate of mine is driving everyday in his car with no licence but has l plates and a qualifyed driver in with him,so he is perfectly legal but imo is a danger to everyone on the road.
Driving laws are not very well thought out me thinks. ____________________ DRZ-400sm |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:13 - 08 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Anyway. I'm sure you're one of the several people I have told that the front mudguard is not an MOT requirement. If it's broken, take it off.
So, you were riding about with no MOT for no good reason. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| scorps |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 scorps World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jan 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:20 - 08 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
see i dont agree with this stuff, if you are riding or driving with a licence and insurance but no MOT or tax then you can kiss your insurance claim goodbye if you have an accident, It doesnt matter if someones a better rider than someone with insurance etc because you are still breaking the law. I am not squeeky clean as I have a licence plate thats all on one line on the bike and a loud can but because i an always taxed insured with an MOT i am the one who ends up paying higher premiums to cover the cost of accidents caused by non insured drivers etc.
I dont agree with the way we are financially shafted but I accept that because its the law then begrudgingly I have to pay the piper, A more fairer way of being taxed etc is to have a policy where you are automatically taxed for the vehicle you are driving / riding at the time but as this is an argument that comes up time and time again people will still break the law, next time i am shunted by an uninsured driver, I am not going to bother with the police, i shall deal with the bastard myself unless i am injured of course  ____________________ Do not presume that I am male. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| st3v3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 st3v3 Super Spammer

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iand |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iand Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 08 Jan 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:52 - 08 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
| justmetoo125 wrote: | I have rode/drove without tax/m.o.t. loads of time myself,no big deal in my opinion.
As long as you have insurance and a driving licence it's all good.
I just find i dont enjoy the drive/ride if im not legit, so will avoid it at all costs...
Hope you dont get caught.
 |
trouble is your insurance would be void if your not taxed MOT'd so technically if your not taxed/mot'd your not insured either! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Endless Nameless |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Endless Nameless World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Nov 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:57 - 08 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I always make sure the vehicle is more or less legal, i.e. MOT'd, taxed and insured. And except for a few drives in a mates car on the lanes, I've always had a license when I've been behind the wheel (don't have a bike one yet...).
So I know I can be legal if I need to be, which means for things like speed limits it's my decision if I ignore them or not. After all, changing your speed means altering one or two controls, there's a bit more involved with getting an MOT!
In short, I make sure the basics are in place, and let common sense dictate the rest. ____________________ A2 passed 22/07/08; restriction up 22/07/10 (just so I don't forget)
'79 Suzuki GS550E. Yes, that's a GS550, not a GS500.
Supersports "In a video editing competition I'd kick your sorry ass" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ---- |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ---- World Chat Champion
Joined: 29 Sep 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:10 - 08 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
| iand wrote: | | justmetoo125 wrote: | I have rode/drove without tax/m.o.t. loads of time myself,no big deal in my opinion.
As long as you have insurance and a driving licence it's all good.
I just find i dont enjoy the drive/ride if im not legit, so will avoid it at all costs...
Hope you dont get caught.
 |
trouble is your insurance would be void if your not taxed MOT'd so technically if your not taxed/mot'd your not insured either! |
Yes,but i know loads of people who have been caught with no mot/or no tax,and have never been done for no insurance because of it.
I suppose that would be a different case if they were involved in a crash.
Everytime i have ridden with no tax/mot it's only been while on my way home from picking a car up but i have covered myself by booking it in for a m.o.t.or the odd time when i have been fully legit,but could'nt tax my car/bike because of not having the log book/insurance cover note. ____________________ DRZ-400sm |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| st3v3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 st3v3 Super Spammer

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tristan. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tristan. World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 May 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:37 - 08 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
| stinkwheel wrote: | Anyway. I'm sure you're one of the several people I have told that the front mudguard is not an MOT requirement. If it's broken, take it off.
So, you were riding about with no MOT for no good reason. |
Mmm, he was the only MOT tester within reasonable distance, and he was a bit pissy with me, cos he told me he'd want two hours labour to fit a headlight, that I fitted on his forecourt in 10 minutes. So took my arguments against a bit personaly (I pointed out I could hacksaw off the bit that was touching the tyre, and he said it wouldnt go through (oh and I wasn't riding it with the mudguard ttouching the tyre obviously))
As for the tax, I went to pick up a bike advertised with a V5, the plan was to take my green slip, along with the other docs to the nearest PO and complete the journey legal, but he'd lost it, then I used it the next weekend cos I was feeling really homesick and couldnt afford the train.
But yeah, me attempting to justify my discrepencies isn't a particularly interesting thread, perhaps the attitude depends on where you started riding, when I was in lincolnshire I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of marked cars I saw.
PS scorps, I was under the impression that if something causes your liscence to be void they pay out to a tird party but can then take you through snall claims to recover the cash, could well be forum hearsay though. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ghost |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ghost Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 28 Jun 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:54 - 08 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
In my opinion there's no such thing as being a 'little naughty' you're either legal or you're not. My bike and car might not be 100% legal, I do like a spirited ride or drive every now and then and I always travel quickly, but at a speed which is safe for the conditions regardless of what the limit is. This may mean I do 40mph in a 60 limit, or I might do 100mph+ on an empty road.
But to answer your question, yeah I still 'jump' every time I spot a police car, even if I'm doing nothing wrong. The fact is I and many other people break the law every day in varying degrees, and thus it's ingrained into my mind to be wary of the authorities  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| cestrian |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cestrian World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jul 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:13 - 08 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Only my numberplate is illegal, and I could argue that point if stopped. I don't speed in places where I am likely to be caught, I don't pull wheelies. I don't 'jump' when I see a police car, in fact the last time I spoke to a copper, I told him I was sorry for him and that I look forward to the day when we can begin to respect the police, again. Thick cwnt didn't know what to say
Regards |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| -Savage- |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 -Savage- World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:36 - 08 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've ridden for a time with
no restriction,
no R plates(N.Ireland),
no Registration,
Illegal numberplate,
no MOT,
and no tax.
I had my test, but this would be void as I was on a unrestricted machine on a 33bhp license,
and I was insured, but since I had effectively no license, mot, tax, or registration I doubt that it would be insured.
When I put it all down in writing it kinda amazes me I was never in sh1t for it lol. ____________________ My Bikes - - - Royal Enfield 500 with sidecar, VFR800, CBR600FX,
Peugeot Speedfight 100, Kymco Hipster 125, GSXR750K5, Jawa TS 350 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| fredsredhat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 fredsredhat Traffic Copper

Joined: 11 Sep 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fadel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fadel Trackday Trickster
Joined: 06 Feb 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:20 - 08 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Im riding derestricted, got an illegal can on the bike which i've chopped down aswell so definately not legal now even with the baffle. Never carry a clear visor with me, never wear a clear visor.
Been out on my bike once without tax but that was because my insurance docs hadn't come through, though was only round the block for 20 mins (had to, new bike ) I then put it away and 2 minutes later the post man came back on his own accord (his little red micra bless) and posted them so back I went to tax the bike (Y) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Tot |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Tot World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:25 - 08 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm probably a hypocrite for slagging off all the un-33bhp'd license holders since i was riding my 2 years unrestricted, both on my 250 and 600. I was very lax about the law and i bent it to the a reasonable degree, which i still felt comfortable about doing. If i wanted to read into the specifics, i could have been done for riding unlicensed and uninsured if caught. But i'll let you guys read into the enforcement aspect of it. A fair few of us will admit that we've done it, and a fair few have conformed strictly to the 33bhp rule. I believe in the principles that rules are meant to be bent, so police officers can keep their jobs!
I already had a riding without accordance to my license... that was carrying my dad on pillion on HIS NRG50 - bike had L plates, but both of us were licensed and insured - my dad got moped entitlement on his car license (pre 01) and copper that stopped us was unsure of the ruling on this - let my dad ride off with me on pillion since he interpreted is being legal (i wasn't particularly sure about the moped entitlement - I'm assuming you can carry pillions since you were able to ride any moped without a CBT back in those days). Either way, i got pulled and got no points, not even a fine... i guess it was because it was my dad on the back... He commented that i was only wearing my jeans and hoodie and a dark visor, for which i didn't have a spare, but i was pretty calm and collected and treated the cops with respect and they thought that i weren't such a bad lad... So no, I've not been legal a few times.
Now, I'd consider myself erring on legal; tax, license, insurance, MOT. Any others is just my understanding and appreciation of bending the law - my bike has a loud but unmarked full race system, I'm running HID's, I DON'T display my tax (because i've had 3 tax disks nicked previously), I have a 8x6 plate, I ride with a dark smoked lens cover which emits purple light (take it off when its dark - along with my dark visor). BUT, i DON'T act or ride like a dickhead, to my own perceptions or other road user's perceptions, hence why i never get a tug. If i get stopped, i normally start chatting to the plod and get them relaxed and co-operative. ____________________ The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tutton |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tutton World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Jan 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Cigaro |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Cigaro World Chat Champion
Joined: 28 Mar 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Wave2k |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Wave2k G's Stalker

Joined: 06 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 18 years, 211 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|