Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Idea of raising handlebars...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Idea of raising handlebars... Reply with quote

I had an idea of raising the handlebars on my sv, to make the riding style a little more upright, and therefore put paid to the numb problems I've started experiencing on long rides as late.

I have asked on the sv650 forum, but noone is interested in helping, funnily enough?!? I have heard of Helibars, but for some £200 it seems a heck of a lot of money...anyone here suggest anything else, something that won't cost the earth and can be bought locally and/or easily.

Ta muchly in advance.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:56 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Re: Idea of raising handlebars... Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
I had an idea of raising the handlebars on my sv, to make the riding style a little more upright, and therefore put paid to the numb problems I've started experiencing on long rides as late.

I have asked on the sv650 forum, but noone is interested in helping, funnily enough?!? I have heard of Helibars, but for some £200 it seems a heck of a lot of money...anyone here suggest anything else, something that won't cost the earth and can be bought locally and/or easily.

Ta muchly in advance.


Have you got clip ons or traditional bars?
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Charlie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:48 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean something like this:

https://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=MAP528423&kw=risers
____________________
Past: Honda x8rs, Honda City fly, Honda Hornet 250, Honda VFR750, Yamaha xt600e.
Current: Honda CBR929RR & Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dappa D
Nova Slayer



Joined: 02 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:50 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

clanger....whats ya name on sv650.org ???

theres a few things on there today about raising bars....

although yes its a ref to helibars....
____________________
Current: Suzuki SV650s Curvy (X reg)
Previous : Suzuki GSF400 "Mini Bandit!" (J reg) :- Honda CLR "Cityfly" 125 (w reg)
www.myspace.com/mcdappad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:05 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSL make risers too.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

petemell
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Clanger, have you thought about getting a pair of SW Motech handlebar risers from M&P.
I have some 20mm ones on one of my bikes.
I put some flat bars on but couldn't get master cylinder on because top yoke was in the way. These solved the problem.
They do 25mm and 30mm also.
You will need to buy longer clamp bolts. Better to get some in high tensile steel, not stainless steel.
https://www.mandp.co.uk/largeImage.aspx?image=GQQRASW.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:18 - 02 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dappa D wrote:
clanger....whats ya name on sv650.org ???


Same as it is everywhere on the net...my online nickname is clanger
Very Happy
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:21 - 02 Sep 2008    Post subject: Re: Idea of raising handlebars... Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Have you got clip ons or traditional bars?


I'm more than sure they are standard...naked sv standard bars (I think), I haven't changed them and the previous owner only had the bike 5mths and I don't think he changed them....

I'm a bit of a duffer when it comes to technical stuff (I can do standard service for car & bike and that's it I'm afraid)
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:54 - 02 Sep 2008    Post subject: Re: Idea of raising handlebars... Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
MarJay wrote:
Have you got clip ons or traditional bars?


I'm more than sure they are standard...naked sv standard bars (I think), I haven't changed them and the previous owner only had the bike 5mths and I don't think he changed them....

I'm a bit of a duffer when it comes to technical stuff (I can do standard service for car & bike and that's it I'm afraid)


So you've got traditional bars in which case you need some bar risers. They won't cost much, and the helibars may actually be worse (as they are a type of clip on).
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:05 - 02 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It should be easy enough to find some slightly higher bars. Plenty of aftermarket ones, and also plenty of other bikes with slightly different shape bars. You might find, for example, that 600 Bandits (or the new 650) has higher bars.

Only issue you might have is the length of cables, hoses and wires. Longer cables (clutch, throttle, choke) should be easy to source from someone like Venhill. Same for a longer brakehose. Wiring is trickier. However I would suspect that you could lift the bars an inch or so without having to change anything.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:13 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm...had the wiring all changed to braided hoses a few years back, not sure how much play I have with them...need to do a little research.

Marjay...I have heard of Helibars but I'm not forking out that sort of money this late in the stage of owning the sv... realistically I should be wondering what bike next, problem is the one's I like the look of I'll probably get @rse-ache about because they haven't the torque of the v-twin...

Ideal situation would be to get myself to a bike supermarket where I could test ride a whole range of different bikes, to see which would suit my needs perfectly.

I don't think such a place exists, so I'm thinking the cheapest way to improve my ride is the raising of handlebars.

Cheers for the advice guys, it's handy being affiliated to these different bike forums, you get different things from each.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:38 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
Marjay...I have heard of Helibars but I'm not forking out that sort of money this late in the stage of owning the sv... realistically I should be wondering what bike next, problem is the one's I like the look of I'll probably get @rse-ache about because they haven't the torque of the v-twin...


What I'm saying is don't bother with helibars. They are really replacement clip ons for bikes which already have clip ons. Being you have normal bars you should be able to just buy something from Busters or somewhere to raise your bars. Just search for bar risers...

I think what you want might be found here:

https://www.bustersclassic.co.uk/products.asp?id=77
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:39 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something which helps without changing bars, is leaning your upper body much farther forward than you normally do, and finding a position that feels comfy.

Try to keep your forearms paralellel to the ground and your shoulders forward way in front of your hips.

Feels a bit wierd at first, but when you get it, its much better than the natural upright position which results in pain on a bike with low bars.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some bar risers for my bike.

Just unbolt the current clamps, put the risers in and screw back together.

10 minute job at the most and a 1 out of 10 on the difficulty scale.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:59 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
What I'm saying is don't bother with helibars. They are really replacement clip ons for bikes which already have clip ons. Being you have normal bars you should be able to just buy something from Busters or somewhere to raise your bars. Just search for bar risers...

I think what you want might be found here:

https://www.bustersclassic.co.uk/products.asp?id=77


Sweet, ta muchly Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Moonie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be OT but how do you go about swapping clip ons for Renthals? I see mounts and stuff on the internet, but where do they go?
____________________
Don't practice it until you get it right, practice it until you don't get it wrong.
Presenting the one and only Chinkmobile Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:05 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
Something which helps without changing bars, is leaning your upper body much farther forward than you normally do, and finding a position that feels comfy.

Try to keep your forearms paralellel to the ground and your shoulders forward way in front of your hips..


I've tried everything - apart from a new bike, and raising the handlebars. Pre-accident and advancing years I was fine, but nowadays...it just gets tougher and tougher...especially in the damp cold conditions. (oh woe! Mr. Green )

I had been seriously thinking of ditching the sv for something like XT650 or MT-03 (but have been told they're totally gutless on dual carriageways compared with the v-twin), and having owned v-twins for many years now....I think it would irk me somewhat!
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:14 - 04 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonie wrote:
Sorry to be OT but how do you go about swapping clip ons for Renthals? I see mounts and stuff on the internet, but where do they go?


Depends on the setup. Some are like the clip on part of a normal clip on bar, but going inwards and up with a mount for the bars. Others you drill holes in the top yoke and bolt them on. Others are complete replacement top yokes. May be other ways of doing it as well.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.79 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 104.88 Kb