Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


How much would it cost to restrict a Honda NSR 125?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

M4RK
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:42 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: How much would it cost to restrict a Honda NSR 125? Reply with quote

Hey, hope everyone's ok.

Just looking to get an idea of how much it would cost to restrict a Honda NSR 125 if I bought a full power model.

Could the procedure be carried out at a local Honda dealers or bike shop, and what sort of paperwork would you have to fill in or change after you've restricted the bike?

Many thanks,

Mark
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nick606
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:48 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be done yes but if your going to be riding legally why bover with the nsr and get the cbr, unless you really want the nsr. Or just don't restrict it and ride it anyway like most of the people with 2stroke 125s.

But yes honda could do it and im sure they will bend you over for the pleasure of making your bike slower.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:51 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to restrict a Honda NSR 125? Reply with quote

There is no paperwork.

Best bet would be to get a restricted exhaust; that or just get a washer welded in there.
Should be able to find the carb-restricter fairly easily from someone that has derestricted.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M4RK
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:51 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick606 wrote:
It could be done yes but if your going to be riding legally why bover with the nsr and get the cbr, unless you really want the nsr. Or just don't restrict it and ride it anyway like most of the people with 2stroke 125s.

But yes honda could do it and im sure they will bend you over for the pleasure of making your bike slower.


The CBR is too small...I haven't had the chance to sit on an NSR yet, but I'm hoping it will be ok. I'd look forward to the point when I'm able to restrict the bike after I pass the full test, but to start off with, I'd rather be safe than sorry to be honest.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M4RK
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:53 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to restrict a Honda NSR 125? Reply with quote

G wrote:
There is no paperwork.

Best bet would be to get a restricted exhaust; that or just get a washer welded in there.
Should be able to find the carb-restricter fairly easily from someone that has derestricted.


Oh right, ok. That's cool.

So what's actually used to restrict the bike, what makes it restricted?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:55 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to restrict a Honda NSR 125? Reply with quote

A washer in the exhaust and a plate between the carb and in-let, as described above.

Myself, I'd just leave it de-restricted.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M4RK
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:57 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm with you...thank you.

I guess it's an option, but how easy would it be to get caught?

What would happen if I took the bike to get serviced but they see its a restricted bike with L plates?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nick606
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklawrence wrote:
Ok, I'm with you...thank you.

I guess it's an option, but how easy would it be to get caught?

What would happen if I took the bike to get serviced but they see its a restricted bike with L plates?


The garage will do nothing if they know the bike de-restricted as its not really any of there business. They wouldn't call the police or stop you from ride off on it. The chances are they wouldn't even know. As for the police there is again a very slim and i mean really really really small chance of you being caught, doesn't mean it doesn't happen or it hasn't happened but ultimately its up to you and yes it is possible for being caught.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M4RK
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:10 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick606 wrote:
The garage will do nothing if they know the bike de-restricted as its not really any of there business. They wouldn't call the police or stop you from ride off on it. The chances are they wouldn't even know. As for the police there is again a very slim and i mean really really really small chance of you being caught, doesn't mean it doesn't happen or it hasn't happened but ultimately its up to you and yes it is possible for being caught.


Ok, thanks...I'll bear that in mind.

To start off with, I'm not really going to be worried about speed anyway. I'm just looking forward to being able to ride the bike. The best option might be for me to buy a bike that's already restricted, and then I can derestrict it after the full test.

Thanks for your quick responses,
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nick606
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklawrence wrote:


Ok, thanks...I'll bear that in mind.

To start off with, I'm not really going to be worried about speed anyway. I'm just looking forward to being able to ride the bike. The best option might be for me to buy a bike that's already restricted, and then I can derestrict it after the full test.

Thanks for your quick responses,


You got to be carefull if you buy a restricted nsr though. Since it could be a import basically depending on where it is from it could be near impossible to de-restrict or very easy

have a quick read though that
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NSR125

it explains it more.

I don't really know alot about the bike but there are some experts on this site if you need to know anymore info.

and yes i have no life Crying or Very sad lol
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M4RK
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:32 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick606 wrote:
You got to be carefull if you buy a restricted nsr though. Since it could be a import basically depending on where it is from it could be near impossible to de-restrict or very easy

have a quick read though that
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NSR125

it explains it more.

I don't really know alot about the bike but there are some experts on this site if you need to know anymore info.

and yes i have no life Crying or Very sad lol


Lol, it's ok. I'm grateful you're around to help.

Read the Wikipedia article, the de-restricting does sound fairly complicated. It sounds as if I buy a restricted model I'd definately struggle to de-restrict it after passing the full test. The only issue is whether I risk the fact of riding a de-restricted bike when I'm not supposed to.

It's definately something to think about, but at the moment I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for your help, Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:45 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a point I will be selling my NSR soon, probably selling it de-restricted. I still have the restricted exhaust intake and a carb restriction, also the original carb jets, so if the new owner doesn't want them I can let you have them ^^.

Carb intake is simple to put in, very simple. The exhaust restriction would need welding back in though. Carb jets is an easy one to do as well.

All in all.. Not so sure I'd ever want to ride a restricted NSR the power difference is.. not massive I'll be honest with you. I did put lower gearing on it which meant it went from topping out at around 75 it went up to 90. But acceleration is rather different.
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

salty21
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:17 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the carb plate if you want it? free ofcourse as i will never need it again, come to think of it i have 2 of the buggers
____________________
04 NSR 125(sold) Sad ---- 03 CBR 600rr(sold)Sad Smile ----90 pan euro ST1100 'Shocked' ----02 CG 125 Smile
94 CB400 Super Four ---- 2000 VTR SP1 (sold) ---- 08 ninja p8f(sold, meh) ----05 CBR600rr Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

magpiemale
Traffic Copper



Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:23 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Re: How much would it cost to restrict a Honda NSR 125? Reply with quote

marklawrence wrote:
Hey, hope everyone's ok.

Just looking to get an idea of how much it would cost to restrict a Honda NSR 125 if I bought a full power model.

Could the procedure be carried out at a local Honda dealers or bike shop, and what sort of paperwork would you have to fill in or change after you've restricted the bike?

Many thanks,

Mark


why restrict an NSR125 I have a full power one (doing nothing) and to be honest it isnt all that faster than a restricted one.....anyways why would you tell in the fisrst place I rode on one for 2 and half years and no one knew any diffrent..
____________________
NSR125 1992 (sold) kawasaki Z750S,fazer FZ1 07 now gone present bike 2012 fz1s Fazer,beowulf rad protector,heated grips,sw motech gps holder,power socket.


Last edited by magpiemale on 20:54 - 03 Sep 2008; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:24 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklawrence wrote:
It's definately something to think about, but at the moment I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for your help, Thumbs Up


Just ride it. Everyone rides derestricted 125s - except those who ride 125s that cannot be derestricted.

Its more hassle than it is worth to re-restrict an NSR. The difference in power is something like 5bhp anyway. Its worlds away from riding an unrestricted 100bhp 600 when you're supposed to be restricted to 33bhp.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M4RK
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:27 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncrn wrote:
As a point I will be selling my NSR soon, probably selling it de-restricted. I still have the restricted exhaust intake and a carb restriction, also the original carb jets, so if the new owner doesn't want them I can let you have them ^^.

Carb intake is simple to put in, very simple. The exhaust restriction would need welding back in though. Carb jets is an easy one to do as well.

All in all.. Not so sure I'd ever want to ride a restricted NSR the power difference is.. not massive I'll be honest with you. I did put lower gearing on it which meant it went from topping out at around 75 it went up to 90. But acceleration is rather different.


salty21 wrote:
i have the carb plate if you want it? free ofcourse as i will never need it again, come to think of it i have 2 of the buggers


Thank you both of you for those really nice offers. I'm extremely grateful, I wasn't expecting that at all, but to be honest it's still a long way off at the moment. I'm just spending a lot of time thinking about the best options...probably thinking about it too much, but I'm prone to overthinking about things.

I'll probably try and give it a rest for a little bit and try and take it as it comes. I'm probably getting too excited when I've still got a long way to go.

For now, I'll probably say one of the simplest options would be to get the restricted bike so I'm riding legally and then have to cope with the problem of struggling to de-restrict it when the time comes. Thinking about it though, when I'm at the stage of being ready to take my full test, I'd hopefully be in a position when I've got some money saved up to start looking for a bigger capacity bike, so there would be no need to restrict the NSR.

Thanks so much for your help though, it's really appreciated. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool yeah, it is always best to think things through first, but odds are I'll still have them kicking about in the garage in a few months or longer so if your in need still send me a message and I'll let you know if I've still got it ^^.
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M4RK
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, huge thank you. That's really, really nice. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 34 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.83 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 108.09 Kb