Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Warhammer 40k Dawn Of War

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:43 - 05 Sep 2008    Post subject: Warhammer 40k Dawn Of War Reply with quote

Any good, any of it?

Good/bad points?

Ta.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RealNinja
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:28 - 05 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ace!

The new one is due out soon, but looks like it'll be quite PC hungry judging by the graphics.

You will get more out of it if you are into the Warhammer 40K series, but it is an accomplished RTS on it's own accord.

Get the first one and the add on discs (more maps and armies) but avoid the stand alone add ons, they are just not the same game. the engine works the same, the graphics are slightly better, but you have to play a game of total domination on the map as opposed to the mission based gaming of the originals.
____________________
You will become my force of retribution. Where you tread, doom will follow. Go now and claim your destiny
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayne
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 07 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:32 - 05 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was alright.

Only really applicable if you're already well into the 40k Universe and know the back stories and stuff. The initial game also has a woeful lack of the best armies. (Dark Eldar Wink Thumbs Up )

And they have a "control point" type system which i personally dislike but i have friends who think it's a good idea. basically it's a way to limit base growth imo. but it has it's uses i suppose.

I had fun playing it. It has it's flaws but which game does, besides Fable. Razz

I'd recommend it if you're getting it for less than £20 or getting that big complete set I saw in Virgin Megastores today. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:59 - 06 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite good fun - more of the C&C base rush model than anything more strategic. Graphics and sound are good, and if you're into 40k it's cool to see all your fave units mincing about, even if it isn't hugely 'accurate'.
____________________
>Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Makaveli_Rydah
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:45 - 06 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tis great !

Best of the series is Winter Assault IMO just for the Necron invasion part Thumbs Up

Really enjoyed the entire series - Dark Crusade and Soulstorm are better if your wanting to play as different races . The first 2 only allows you to play as Marines / Imperial Guard / Chaos & Orks
____________________
Bike History:- Vision / Phantom 100 / Aerox 100 / Runner VX125 / Honda VFR400 NC24 / Kwak ZX9R B3 / Honda CBR600 F / ZZR400 & K2 GSXR 750 / Suzuki VZ800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:55 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makaveli_Rydah wrote:


Best of the series is Winter Assault IMO just for the Necron invasion part Thumbs Up



Thought you didn't get Necrons at all in Winter Assult. I never played the 1 player so I'll be miffed if necrons appeared.

Personally Dark Crusade is the one I'd recommend. Buy that and you get pretty much everything unless you want multiplayer.

Soulstorm was a massive let down Thumbs Down

Oh and I want fooking Tyranids dammit!
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ColdInsomnia
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:50 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn of War and it's expansions are all great up to the Dark Crusade. Soulstorm, as mentioned above, is a large waste of time.

But yeah, great games. Well balanced and fast paced gameplay, great to play in a LAN against friends of a similar skill level. I tried playing online, but I just got trounced repeatedly Sad I can't multitask to the extent that is expected.
____________________
Yamaha YB100 | Yamaha TZR125 | Yamaha XJ600S | Suzuki GSF600
"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
John Lennon
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ahmato_
Crazy Courier



Joined: 03 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn of War II = 'Nids Thumbs Up
____________________
SavageKymco wrote: lol yea yea, im just gettin food here, keep my strength up you know. all this killing takes a lot out of a guy Ha ha
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

damz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dow and Coh (both made by relic) are easily the best rts games that have been released in years, such a good game. graphics are still ace despite being quite old now.

soulstorm would have been better if they released a patch to fix the major problems such as battle bitches getting easy resources by using a glitch.

the games are pretty cheap now so its definatly worth getting, its far more balanced than other games, rushing wont always work as it usually will in other games and no single unit can beat everything.
____________________
Current Bikes RVF400 - 94
Cars: RX7 FD, Eunos Roadster
Former Bikes: FZR 250R 89, ZX7R 98
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:38 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damz wrote:
no single unit can beat everything.


Necron lord can Wink

Simple but effective tactic for saving a knackered game (sneakily). Buy him resurrection orb and possibly the invisibility thing if theres enough of them.
If you've sent in enough waves of troops already there will be corpses everywhere. If not fill your whole squad cap with flayed ones which you fill to full squad (ie deep strike them, put to 8, let them spawn then put back in monolith).

Send in necron lord, resurrect.... Fill every random squad up and you will own anything. Especially with hordes and hordes of flayed ones.

If he dies he stays there, rebuild and repeat the moment he spawns.

Yes, I'm an evil sod.

Was anyone else gutted that soulstorm didn't leave everything set up when you defended. I used to love that on dark crusade. I used to make really intricate maps, and have 3 fully functioning bases with everything on my half before killing the last thing.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:53 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh dawn of war 2.... ooooh...

Gameplay
Intro Trailer
Tyranid gameplay - Lictor is going to oooooooooown
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jackw72
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:22 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Avatar of Mohammed Mehala Mohammed Jihad Mensa Kaine will take any unit...

Dark Crusade single player is favourite.


Mr. Green Thumbs Up
____________________
08/11/2007 A2 Passed.
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K3
Rapid Training passed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:28 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently picked all of them up for £20 brand new from Gamestation. Really good buy, I only wish the squad caps where higher and you could zoom out more.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Makaveli_Rydah
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:23 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
Makaveli_Rydah wrote:


Best of the series is Winter Assault IMO just for the Necron invasion part Thumbs Up



Thought you didn't get Necrons at all in Winter Assult. I never played the 1 player so I'll be miffed if necrons appeared.

Personally Dark Crusade is the one I'd recommend. Buy that and you get pretty much everything unless you want multiplayer.

Soulstorm was a massive let down Thumbs Down

Oh and I want fooking Tyranids dammit!


You can't play as them unfortunatley - they just invade at a very innopurtune time . Wink
____________________
Bike History:- Vision / Phantom 100 / Aerox 100 / Runner VX125 / Honda VFR400 NC24 / Kwak ZX9R B3 / Honda CBR600 F / ZZR400 & K2 GSXR 750 / Suzuki VZ800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

damz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:05 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
Damz wrote:
no single unit can beat everything.


Necron lord can Wink

Simple but effective tactic for saving a knackered game (sneakily). Buy him resurrection orb and possibly the invisibility thing if theres enough of them.
If you've sent in enough waves of troops already there will be corpses everywhere. If not fill your whole squad cap with flayed ones which you fill to full squad (ie deep strike them, put to 8, let them spawn then put back in monolith).

Send in necron lord, resurrect.... Fill every random squad up and you will own anything. Especially with hordes and hordes of flayed ones.

If he dies he stays there, rebuild and repeat the moment he spawns.

Yes, I'm an evil sod.

Was anyone else gutted that soulstorm didn't leave everything set up when you defended. I used to love that on dark crusade. I used to make really intricate maps, and have 3 fully functioning bases with everything on my half before killing the last thing.


fairly annoying tactic but easily avoidable, mass shoota boys + flash gits +warcry will mow down flayed ones well before they evn start moving DAKKA DAKKA!!!. or hav sum tank busta's hitting the lord so he cant do anything Smile
____________________
Current Bikes RVF400 - 94
Cars: RX7 FD, Eunos Roadster
Former Bikes: FZR 250R 89, ZX7R 98
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:15 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damz wrote:

fairly annoying tactic but easily avoidable, mass shoota boys + flash gits +warcry will mow down flayed ones well before they evn start moving DAKKA DAKKA!!!.


Haha, you reckon Orks can actually beat anything.... ?

Quote:

or hav sum tank busta's hitting the lord so he cant do anything Smile


Unfortunately they fixed that glitch in later editions. You can't stay infiltrated and fire (as it should be).
God that used to be annoying, yet nicely exploitable with Chaos marines tooled up with a bloodthirster ready to pop out when the opportunity arose.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.49 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 97.96 Kb